Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Romance On The Camino

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Greg Canning, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi all

I recall Laurie posting something in the recent past on romance on the Camino and I thought I might share with you all some romantic news of my own. My very best friend and I have undertaken many journeys together over the past few years including walking from St Jean to Fromista on our Camino. We have discovered together and in each other a great love of the journey itself and in experiencing all the challenges and gifts the Camino brings.

On the 8th of July just past we got married in Blue Mountain Beach in Northern Florida (another part of the world we have come to love over recent years). We were married on the beach and it was an incredible experience to do so with the sand beneath our feet and the Gulf providing a fantastic backing track.

This picture was taken just after the ceremony. We had had thunder storms all day but just before we got married the sky cleared so I think someone "up there" was looking out for us.

~2837695.JPG

As many of you have learned and commented on previously, walking the Camino with a friend and particularly with your spouse or partner is a very special experience. We are looking forward to continuing our Camino together.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Greg - First, congratulation on your recent marriage! Second, I couldn't agree with you more about walking a Camino or the greater Camino of Life with a special person. Having walking the CP with my wife this year made going back for another Camino extra special because it was her first. As great as the CF was by myself, there were many things missing when your partner is at home not sharing the experience with you. It strikes me that so much of the emphasis of writings about the Camino centers upon what the individusl can get out if it for themselves. And, that's very, very true! What seems to be a bit overlooked are the rewards that come for the couple sharing the experience and the very different challenges and chances to learn about each other (and oneself) in a very different context. So, my next Camino is already planned with my wife in the spring and I'm looking forward to the second one with her even more. Another mini-Camino within life's bigger journey! Buen Camino to you and your bride!

3. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Congratulations to you both! And what a beautiful picture. MAY YOU ALWAYS TRAVEL, NOT TO ESCAPE LIFE, BUT FOR LIFE NOT TO ESCAPE YOU!

Rainyday woman, Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Greg, congrats to you and your camino buddy- wife. During our last camino, my wife and I had been married 33 years. While we spent lots of time together over the years, it was nothing like walking 500 miles and spending dusk to dawn together to share such an adventure together. We're looking forward to our second camino, leaving the US on Labor Day. Bob

Babs44 and Greg Canning like this.
  5. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall Member

6. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Thank you TOTH

that really does brighten the pic up. Not so sure seeing me more clearly enhances it though .

A long way still to go but the road looks easier when you're travelling it with your best friend.

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily likes this.