Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Rucksacks On Camino’s

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJS, Sep 6, 2017.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I am writing this thread as both a follow-up and to give my own views on the recent thread about “Caution: Think Twice About Checking Your Backpack” by Wily

The first thing that I want to make 100% clear is that now I am aware of the problems that, particularly American Pilgrims are experiencing with lost and delayed bags that I am much more inclined to agree with Wily, that Where Possible, to take your rucksack onboard the plane with you as cabin baggage and to only check in as hold luggage your less essential / less cherished possessions and ones that can be replaced more easily just in case they go missing en-route.

However, whether you can carry your rucksack will depend on what size your rucksack is and how rigorously your airline enforces their cabin baggage size / weight policies.

To start to off with – Rucksack Size.

To a degree, the size of your rucksack will depend on which Camino you are walking and what sort of accommodation you choose as well as what time of year you are walking the route– The choice of accommodation will often depend on your budget.

If you are walking the very popular Camino Frances in the summer and a staying in hotels or private Albergue’s where bedding is provided then you won’t need a very big rucksack as you won’t be carrying a sleeping bag or many cold weather clothes. – Therefore a rucksack of around 36 Litres will suffice

However, if you are staying in Municipal Refugio’s, particularly in colder times, or you are walking a less popular Camino where accommodation is both less prolific and/or very basic (Sometimes Refugio’s are no more than floor space in municipal sports ground changing rooms) then you will need a larger rucksack.

Over my “Camino Walking Years” I have used 3 Rucksacks

The first one was a 30+6 Litre Berghaus Airflow similar to this

upload_2017-9-6_10-32-40.jpeg

This was an excellent rucksack, but a little small and required very careful kit selection and packing, unfortunately it met an untimely death on an Airport Carousel in Switzerland when a strap got caught and the entire carrying system was ripped off in front of my eyes – This was Pre Pro-Tector days http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/

This was then replaced by my Vango Super Canyon, thus was a 40 + 8 Litre Rucksack
    upload_2017-9-6_10-33-16.jpeg
    and it served me well for many years and came with me on most of my Camino’s. It was a very versatile bag and big enough to carry everything I needed until my Big 1.000 mile Camino from my home in Cumbria to Santiago de Compostela (For Cancer Research) where I was given the Vaude Rucksack that I am wearing in this photo.
    upload_2017-9-6_10-33-36.jpeg upload_2017-9-6_10-32-40.jpeg upload_2017-9-6_10-33-16.jpeg upload_2017-9-6_10-33-36.jpeg

None of these rucksacks fit inside budget operators like Ryan Air and easyJet’s measuring frames for cabin baggage, so I had no choice but to check them in as hold luggage – However although I realise that there are no absolute guarantees that hold luggage arrives at its destination, I am pleased to say that for all my Camino’s, my rucksacks did appear on the carousel at my arrival airports

From recent posts on Wily’s thread at http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/...wice-about-checking-your-backpack.7036/page-2 there seems to have been a recent upsurge in lost / delayed baggage setting off from / returning to The USA – Therefore I would like to make pilgrims aware that many European airlines, particularly the budget operators like Ryan Air and easyJet appear to be a lot stricter than US carriers about enforcing the rules on what sized cabin baggage is allowed – And because of this trying to make, Particularly US Pilgrims aware that, it they are transiting from an international carrier to a budget one, then want might have been acceptable as cabin baggage by one carrier, might not be accepted by the next, so that they can pack accordingly.

This could well be a recent phenomena as I have been posting on here fairly regularly for over 3 years and don’t recall (m)any previous posts about lost / delayed baggage from pilgrims heading off, or returning from Camino’s – But at the same time, I can see that this is now becoming a big problem !!

Best Regards

Rob

Attached Files:

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Rob - Excellent posts on backpacks! As you indicated, what you need to carry will impact your decision as to what size to use. Couldn't agree more that typically, the 36L pack will suit most pilgrims on the CF. From May through September, there really isn't much need for carrying heavy clothing or anything more than a light sleeping bag. If one does stay in the private albergues, many do provide blankets in case extra warmth is needed. So, the smaller pack should serve the needs of most pilgrims very well.

Whether it's a smaller or larger pack, let me second your comment on the careful selection of the items you bring with you on the Camino. Most of us don't need much while walking, so keep your kit down to the essentials and leave the extras at home. There are a lot of good lists on this Forum and elsewhere regarding what to bring. If one does have a larger pack, avoid the temptation to fill it up. If you need something, it can always be bought in Spain. The lighter the pack, the easier the walking!

The only thing that I would add to your post is the comment that folks, regardless of the backpack capacity, need to make sure it fits them. I know people like to save money and use gear perhaps that others have offered them, but a poor fitting backpack can cause a whole set of other problems. I remember walking out of SJPP with a young woman who had a pack way to large for her. It could not be adjusted small enough to fit her. She had problems starting with her first steps on the Camino. I see gear as an investment similar to ones tools of the trade. Start out with good equipment and it will pay dividends down the road.

Nice post Rob. Buen Camino!

Rainyday woman, Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Wily – Pleased to see that we are once again singing from the same hymn sheet :)

Regarding picking the right rucksack – I couldn’t agree with you more and in fact have included entries on the new blog that I am Slowly writing on

1) Choosing your Rucksack http://tipsonrucksacks.travellerspoint.com/2/

2) Packing your Rucksack http://tipsonrucksacks.travellerspoint.com/3/

3) Looking after your Rucksack http://tipsonrucksacks.travellerspoint.com/3/

4) And finally, my own ideas on what to take with you on long distance walks http://tipsonrucksacks.travellerspoint.com/3/

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy, Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  4. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Slim Picking on me then – I think it was waiting for a “Larger” specimen to come along :)

Greg Canning likes this.
  6. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Man, this gives me shivers. :eek:

RJS and hindsfeet like this.
  7. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

I love the close up of the vulture! Ha......specimens from the sky don't scare me, it's unusual 4-legged creatures that run, or anything that slithers!

Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  8. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

I agree............but a very good friend of mine, who walked the Camino they year before I did, had her lunch stolen by a griffon vulture on the way up to the Col de Lepoeder. Have to admit I would have loved the experience but I imagine a very big bird with a huge wingspan landing beside you to swipe your sandwich might be somewhat overwhelming!!!

UnkleHammy, Wily and RJS like this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

That sounds terrible Greg – I once had a seagull steel the fish from my fish and chips at Windermere, here in the Lake District (UK) and that was bad enough

However

Rest Assured, I was giving this vulture as wide a berth as possible, while still trying to take advantage of the photo opportunity it presented

And – My walking mate was doing the same and managed to capture both myself as well as the Bird in his photo :)

Greg Canning likes this.
  10. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

hi Rob

Yep the seagull thing happens here too. Particuarly with herring gulls at seaside towns like Howth. Many unsuspecting tourists have lost their fish 'n chips to marauding herring gulls in the harbour.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    hindsfeet and RJS like this.
  11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Wow Greg, that is pretty bold. It would be frightening for two seconds, then what a cool story to tell forever! A video would have been the best......:D

Greg Canning, RJS and UnkleHammy like this.