1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago To Home - How?

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Janis, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Janis

Janis New Member

Does Santiago have an airport? How do I get to Paris, or London for flights on to Canada and then Mexico.

2. anniem

anniem Active Member

Santiago has an airport. I flew from there to London with Vuerling a Spanish low cost airline
    I booked online about a week before when still on the Camino. Price was good and worked well. Buen Camino.

3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Janis - Yes, Santiago does have an airport. Among others, Iberia and British Airways use it. I hear a lot of talk about Ryanair and they do offer flights to Madrid, but I'm not sure about Paris. A flight to Madrid is very inexpensive if bought in advance.

On my return, I took the high speed train from Santiago to Madrid and then caught a flight to Paris (CDG). But, I wanted to spend a couple days in Madrid thus my choice of the train. It might be cheaper, and certainly quicker, to catch a flight right out of Santiago into either Orly or CDG. If you go to kayak.com or expedia.com you can begin to explore routes, times, and prices.

It seems to me that London/Paris to Canada is one ticket, but Canada to Mexico would be an entirely different ticket since European flights to MEX would not go via Canada.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  4. Janis

Janis New Member

Thank you! Just booked London to Mexico so this is the advice I needed.

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have flown out of Santiago de Compostela Airport several times – It’s only a short distance from the city and well served by airport busses.

Several other budget airlines operate between Santiago de Compostela and London airports including Easyjet and Ryan Air – a “Tip” would be to try to get a flight to either the same London airport as your Mexico Flight and if you can’t do that, then the closest one possible as airport transfers in London tend to be exorbitantly expensive !!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

6. Janis

Janis New Member

7. Janis

Janis New Member

I managed to get a WestJet flight London to Puerto Vallarta. It makes a stop in Calgary. Pity not Edmonton as I could have made a dash home for some things, however the cost was way less money than two separate flights would have been. I will look into the flight cost Santiago to London. Depending on how long it takes me to complete the Camino (I am allowing 2 months) I might have a few days to explore and take a more leisurely route to London. Thanks again to all responders for your valuable advice. Now for the walk ... I will be in St. Jean September 1st.

Wily likes this.
  8. Wily

Hey Janis - Thanks for sharing the information on Westjet. Just playing around online with your destinations, it looks like you got an excellent fare London-Calgary-Puerto Vallarta. As Westjet flies out of Montreal, my closest airport, I will definitely look to them for regular trips I make to the US westcoast and to Mexico. Glad you're all set now. Lots of travel ahead of you. Buen Camino!

9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Like Wily, I also had a little play around on the https://www.westjet.com website and the flights that came up were Suspiciously Cheap and appeared to be using a strange routing

https://book.westjet.com/SSW2010/WSWS/webqtrip.html?execution=e1s1

So I looked a little further into it and noticed that the London Airport code was (YXU) – As I wasn’t familiar with this Airport code, I Googled it and it came up with

“London International Airport is located 5 nautical miles northeast of the city of London, Ontario, Canada. In 2009, the airport handled 501,835 passengers, and, in 2011, was the 20th busiest in Canada”

If Janis and Wily came up with the same flights as me, then they are certainly Cheap, but probably not much use for Camino Walking in Spain :)

Best Regards

Rob

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Janis

Janis New Member

Rob. My heart stopped when I read your post. Quickly checked my WestJet itinerary. I am leaving from London Gatwick, UK airport as I thought ... yes, the fare is inexpensive. I always use WestJet travelling Edmonton to Puerto Vallarta.

RJS likes this.
  11. Wily

I saw the London, Ontario, Canada listing, but I used Gatwick, London (LGW) and flund a fare of £203 which seemed extremely good considering Calgary is on the west side of Canada.

RJS likes this.
  12. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I’m am Really Pleased to hear that Janis – When I did my search on the westjet website the London Ontario option was the first one that came up and it would be an easy mistake to make if you weren’t familiar with airport codes ;-) – I then tried a random date from London UK and no flights available came up, so maybe they don’t fly every day ??

Anyway It all looks Good for you :)

As it is Gatwick that you are flying out of, the Easyjet http://www.easyjet.com/en/routemap will probably be your best option for flying from Santiago de Compostela as they also fly into Gatwick.

Best Regards

Rob

13. Janis

Janis New Member

WestJet only flies on Saturdays out of Gatwick for the season.

RJS likes this.