1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago to Madrid

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by murphydog201, Jan 30, 2009.

1. murphydog201

murphydog201 New Member

I have a roundtrip ticket from the U.S. to Madrid, so I'm wondering about the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get from Santiago back to Madrid? Bus?

2. BBK

BBK New Member

Is there a train station in Santiago? How do I get back to Madrid? I'm leaving for my camino in 3 weeks & I've got the "to" figured out but not the "from".

3. juliecarteraz

juliecarteraz New Member

Search this forum for "Tren Hotel". Several months ago, I read a thread about returning to Madrid after completing one's Camino. The thread discussed the virtues of taking the overnight train and saving the cost of a hotel room. Good luck!

4. juliecarteraz

juliecarteraz New Member

Found a thread started by John Hussey on 01-09-2011 called After Camino: Santiago to Madrid. Looks like train and bus are both options. Hope this helps.

5. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can take either train, bus or jet to Madrid. My favorite is the train, which allows for a 10:00pm +/- departure from the Santiago train station and an arrival in Madrid at about 6:00 the next morning. I did this in 2010 and LOVED it, plus it saved a day's hotel cost. Go to www.renfe.es for tickets and schedules.

Bus travel is possible, too, but to me that option is uncomfortable and not enough cheaper to warrant it. Go to www.alsa.es for info.

Check out a site like www.skyscanner.com for info on tickets from Santiago (SCQ) to Madrid Barajas (MAD). Sometimes these flights are cheaper than either train or bus.

6. januarius

januarius New Member

agree with husky have taken the train from Santiago to Madrid 5 times and the nite train does allow you to save a days journey if you are lucky you might have a double seat to your self and stretch out to sleep.

7. JenniferB

JenniferB New Member

Anyone have experience with Ryanair airlines?
    They have a very cheap flight from Santiago to Madrid the end of October and wanted to know if they are reliable.

8. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Jennifer, i have good experience with Ryanair, last year i had 2 + 2 flights (from home to Biarritz through London and back from Santiago through Barcelona) - without any problems, so i can recommend it to you.

9. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    @JenniferB I have lots of experience with Ryan Air. Yes, they are very reliable - they almost never miss a flight and run on time almost always - that said...

They are a budget airline, it looks like it and feels like it in the cabins. Plastics seats, pay for everything, nothing included in the ticket price. They will measure your carry on baggage and if too big you will pay to have it transferred to the hold, you must book in online before getting to the airport.

They drive me crazy and I usually prefer to pay extra to fly with other carriers if there is a choice - but I am an old guy and we are known to be grumpy.

stevelm1, raymond john and danvo like this.
  10. danvo

Leslie, my experience was - no measured my backpack, my daughter same experience. Of course, baggage must be reasonably sized and i think 20x40x50cm is for camino ok, (and few cm oversize is ok- you can press your pack there :D :D ) and you can take another little one, can't remember size. Jennifer, simply measure you pack before if it is too much oversized..

11. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Jennifer
    They are a low budget airline, I flew with them from London Stanstead to Biarritz last year . The flight arrived on time. You get what you pay for a No Frills airline. Have you tried Vueling they are a low cost Spanish Airline I flew back with them from Santiago A Courna airport (LCG) to London Heathrow,they were very good . But Im not sure if they fly from Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) airport you will need to check.

Buen Camino

Raymond John

12. JenniferB

JenniferB New Member

Thanks for all your input! I figured out how budget they are when I started to book and had to pay for a seat! I measured my pack and it fits their dimensions and the weight should be good too. I checked Vueling and you just can't beat Ryan Air for their price! Even if I pay the extra for baggage - as a precaution - it still is cheaper! I want to save my money for the rest of the trip and it's only an hour flight!

13. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Jennifer,
    Ryanair have eased up a lot on bag sizes and weight. I have returned to Madrid last year after a Camino and all went well. Mind you, the flight was at 6 am.
    I took the overnight train on another occasion with a bed/bunk. Did not sleep a wink, as it was like the Runaway Train coming out of the mountains.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

raymond john likes this.
  14. danvo

Jennifer, you can pay by seat,i think cca 5€ or no pay and you get random seat.No problem at all. same is insurance-you can select "do not insure me" and that price you can see, is your final price.