1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago Via Fatima?

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Heather L, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Heather L

Heather L New Member

Greetings! I am a first timer and was interested in going through Portugal. Then I was thinking, well this year is the 100th anniversary of Fatima, and I'll be right there. Has anyone made this side trip? I was probably going to start north of Porto, I've a bit of middle age spread and need to practice this walking thing a bit more before I go. Just thinking and wondering if it's practical. Thanks! PS I'll be flying in from the states and tickets are pretty much the same to Lisbon or Porto, I know Fatima is kind of in the middle.

SimLin likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Heather - Welcome to the Forum. The one thing that I don't know from your post is your timeframe for your trip. How long do you plan for your Camino? Nonetheless, let me offer you a few ideas.

Because you want to start your Camino north of Porto, that is the city that I would choise to fly in to. There appears to be a number of companies out of Porto that offer day trips to Fatima such as this one. I only use this one as an example and not necessarily as a recommendation. Whether you book online or once you get to Porto, there appears to be a number of options to help you get to Fatima for a side trip. Back in Porto after your day trip, you're much closer to where you will start your Camino than if you still had to travel up from Lisbon.

If you haven't already found it, let me suggest that you check out Laurie Ferris' posts on her Camino Portugués last year when she walked from Ponte de Lima to Santiago. She provides a lot of great information on her six days of walking. Where you start depends on how far you want to walk and how much time you have for your Camino. You might also want to visit Laurie's blog at Thecaminoprovides.com for her recommendations on gear and clothing.

Regardless of the number of days you will be walking, I highly recommend that you get in the best possible physical condition you can. Long distance walking, day after day, is tiring particularly when you are carrying a backpack. Start training now so as to make your walk more enjoyable once you are in Portugal and Spain. Good footwear and walking with your pack will be important to you having a good Camino experience.

3. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Good morning Heather!
    Welcome to the Forum - I am thinking of doing the Portugues as well in the Fall. Arrive end of August to stat Sept 1st, 2017 in Lisbon. I have walked the Camino Frances in 2016. If you are interested in talking, let me know and I will Private Message you. I am from Canada.

Have a good day,
    Linda

4. Heather L

Heather L New Member

Thank you both! I was considering April/May this year but I'm dealing with a shoulder issue that's not resolved so I'm thinking September. Weather sounds better then anyway. I'm recently retired so I have a little leeway on time. And I for sure will be training, I've done a bit of backpacking but need to rack up some heavy mileage days before leaving. Hostels are my preferred method of travel, so this part should be fine. I found Laurie last night and tons of good stuff!! My only other concern is that my Spanish is decent, my French rusty but I have no Portuguese. I plan on a little study before leaving, I tend to pick up language quickly (also learning Korean).

SimLin and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Heather - My wife and I will be in Portugal early this spring to walk from Porto. Between using French, Spanish, and English, I don't expect to have any real language difficulties. I think that you will be fine as well!

Glad to hear that you have done some backpacking. As you have found some of Laurie's posts here on the Forum, you know she has some good information on what to take with you. Pack light! On the Camino Francés, I learned very quickly that I had taken more than I needed. I now group things into two categories: essentials and extras. As there is nothing you can't buy along the Camino, don't worry about the "what ifs." I'm particularly fond of the expression: to walk far, carry less. I, too, had a shoulder issue (shoulder surgery a few months earlier) last year. Carry a light pack and every part of your body will thank you. Buen Camino!

SimLin and Greg Canning like this.
  6. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Thanks Heather. I am also retired. I speak French, understand some Spanish and can get along okay... from what I hear, they [in Portugal] are very friendly, open and helpful. Enjoy the preparation. Keep it touch.
    Linda

7. Catholic Lea

Catholic Lea New Member

Hi Heather, I will be landing in Porto, April 18th 2017. Day trip to Fatima, then back to Porto. Bus up to Tui, begin my walk there. I only have an 8 day window, so this is how I will begin, what I hope will be a long relationship with the Camino. I am excited to be sure. I am flying in from the states. Lea