1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi and Welcome,

I am Leslie and I built this website after walking the Camino. Now I live in Ireland and spend quite a lot of time building other website, walking - still, and doing my best to enjoy life - one step at a time - slowly.

These boards are intended to help anyone intending to travel along the Camino by any method, and for others to share their experience on the various Caminos. I get many questions every day mailed to me asking questions and I find that as time goes on the volume has become to much for me to reply to all - so the board is my solution - to bring everyone together.

I hope it works.

2. rakikiki

rakikiki Guest

hi!...

hi! i just signed up for this, think it's a great idea:) i see not many people have joined yet, but hopefully the list of members will grow quickly!

i walked the camino last summer, but only from Leon as i didn't have much time and the journey was unplanned. i know this might sound crazy, but it really was a spontaneous decision! and probably the best decision in my life so far...i walked from Leon to Santiago de Compostela in 11 days. As soon as i arrived i felt unsatisfied, wanted to walk more! in Santiago i bumped into a friend that i walked with for several days at the beginning and we decided to go to Finisterre the next day. I really loved that bit, cos by that time my feet, legs, my whole body was totally used to walking and i was enjoying it SO much! The sunset in finisterre provided closure...though i knew i would have to return, this time for longer...

so im going again this summer:) i haven't decided which route i will take...am thinking about the route from sevilla (but might be a bit hard to get there?) and the camino de norte. the little complication that i have right now is that i have a dog. she's still a puppy...and i want to take her with me. so here is there real reason why i joined...

i am trying to find people who have this kind of experience behind them. that is walking the camino with a dog. last summer i met a man who was walking (for 48 days when i met him) with his dog, so i know it is possible.

if anyone here knows more about this, could provide advice, i would be sooooo grateful! i am mostly worried about the refugios..do they always allow dogs in?

also if anyone knows about dogs on public transport (trains!!) in spain...is it a problem? how expensive? (i know the requirements for travelling with a dog in the EU, as am a vet student. she's vaccinated and will have a pet passport)

many thanks to anyone with info. buen camino!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

First welcome and thanks for coming along and joining the forum.

I met someone once who was walking with their dog - it was difficult for them as most places would not allow the dog into the hostels. It was a small dog and he sneaked it in a few times and sometimes that also caused problems.

I don't know of any easy solution to this one - I hope someone else might have some ideas.

On returning to walk again - it does seem that quite a few people do. I did and some of my friends have been more than once. One of my friends is going back again at easter just to walk from Santiago to Finisterra - I have to be in Prague at the same time for a wedding otherwise I would have went also.

If you decided to walk the via de la plata let us know about the planning it always helps others. Thanks.

4. toledo

toledo New Member

Hello, I'm new too.

Hi there, I have just joined the forum hoping to pick up some advice and information. I used to be a keen walker but ten years ago walked Offa's Dyke footpath and that experience put me off walking for a while. I carried too much equipment and my feet suffered with blisters. I think the two are related.
    I read a book about the Camino a few years ago and thought about walking it but did not think I would get "permission" for a month away from home. I recently discussed it again and have decided to walk at the end of April. I will have 29 days.
    I would have like to have started in SJPP but given the time limit I will probably start at Roncesvalles.

5. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Welcome to the forum.

Any questions stick them up and I or someone will help answer them.

And blisters are often a problem for pilgrims on the Camino, learning how to deal with them is the thing.

6. The Solitary Walker

The Solitary Walker New Member

Camino Dreams

Hi Leslie

Just discovered your Camino site and I think it's a great idea. I walked the Chemin de Saint Jacques from Le Puy then the Camino from Roncesvalles over 60 days between mid-October and mid-December lat year. Every night before I go to sleep I think about it. It really gets under your skin. Take a look at my blog about it at www.solitary-walker.blogspot.com

Till later

Robert

7. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes it does seem to get under my skin also - welcome to the board - if you would hang around and help answer some questions that would be great.

I have added your blog to the list of Camino blogs on the blog attached to the site http://caminodesantiago.me.uk/hp_wordpress/

8. The Solitary Walker

Thanks for that, Leslie. Anything I can help with I will gladly do.

9. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    New Member: Priscillian from Spain

Dear Leslie,
    Thank for creating this Forum. One of the things I noticed after I returned from my own Camino in 1999 was the feeling of loss. I had accomplished what I set out to do, but now my new friends were gone - scattered across the globe. For the most part, we have kept in touch by e-mail and a few have come to visit. But nothing like this Forum existed then, and I am glad to see that new Pilgrims have the chance to contact each other before, during, and after their Pilgrmage.
    Unable to get the Camino out of my system, I have recently written a book about it from rather different points of view: a "time shift" of sorts of the sort made popular recently by Kate Mosse's Labyrinth. If you look at the Pilgrim Books section, you will learn more about Pilgrimage to Heresy.
    Buen Camino! TS

10. The Solitary Walker

Your book looks fascinating, Priscillian. I too have a very profound feeling of "loss" - I'm still trying to work out how to deal with it 7 weeks after returning from Santiago. I've done some long walks before, but none has affected me like this. My blog is partly a way of dealing with it, I suppose. I don't think I'll understand the full significance of the experience for quite a while. It's that mixture, isn't it - of solitude, companionship, sacred sites, extremes of weather (well, certainly in my case between Oct and Dec)... oh, and a hundred other things...

11. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    "You don't choose The Camino;The Camino chooses You". This is what I was told, and I still believe it, even 8 years later. It stays with you, and you gradually incorportate that feeling into your daily life and interactions with other people. Perhaps that's why it's like a microcosm - of what life can be like, if we allow it to be.
    I re-lived "my" Camino through Miranda, one of my main character in the book. She is a composite, as all of the character are, but there is a lot of me in Miranda especially.
    As for me, opening a refugio some day on one of the "lesser" paths is still my dream. Maybe one day, but I still have two more books to write first!

12. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Welcome to the forum Priscillian, I look forward to reading your book. And yes the Camino does seem to get under many peoples skin - I am planning on going again soon, but only for a week this time - too many other pressures on time at present.

13. missusdee

missusdee Guest

Last 100kms of Camino

Hi,
    Thanks for your welcome. I have already completed 158kms of the Camino from 19 km before St. Jean to Los Arcos in June 2004. Hoping to complete the last 100 kms with my husband this Jul/Aug was wondering about the terrain from say Ponferrada to Santiago is it difficult and is there a lot of industrial places on the way. Thanks. Missusdee:)

14. glenglaves

glenglaves New Member

Hi,
    Having completed the Camino Frances on a mountain bike about 3 years ago I have decided - now that I am retired and living in Spain to walk the via de la plata and I am looking forward starting in my home town of Alcaudete - about an hours drive north of Granada.
    I will be taking a Garmin GPS with me in the hope of plotting the route and then making it available to other techie pilgims on my return.
    Since my completion of the earlier Camino I have felt really unsatisfied that I didnt really get the full experience of the journey and by walking it I am sure I will - It was a very positive experience none the less.
    Does anyone out there have any advice re accomodation en route I do have a copy of the Confraternity of St James Pilgrim guide to the route and although it appears to be quite in depth there are always those little places to stay which you only get to know about from someone else. Anyone who has any useful info please contact me. I intend to depar ton 5 May.

15. ziggywigs

ziggywigs New Member

Hi Leslie, great forum. After feeling compelled to do it I've just completed my first ever Camino and loved every minute of it! The people, the place just everything was perfect. It was a life changing experience...it was great to see the changes in Pilgrims I met along the route. I miss it soo much i'm planning the Portugal Camino next year.

I met a lovely lady from your part of the world...I live in Scotland so off to do the West Highland Way next month for a short stretch of the legs.

Buen Camino!

16. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    hi ziggywigs the whw is not quite the same but can be fun also - it is a long time since I walked it - pre diital camera - any chance of getting me some photos that I can use on my site? http://www.walkinginscotland.org

thanks

17. Rodrigo

Rodrigo New Member

Hello everybody, I'm from Barcelona, Spain, and I'm planning to walk the way of St. James this summer. Never done it before.

18. ziggywigs

ziggywigs New Member

Hi Leslie, I'll send pics of the walk WHW - hopefully the weather will be kind to me for once!

Thanks for the link. :)

19. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    yeah weather and scotland... I will be there this month for a few days and it alway seems much colder than Dublin.

20. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    Re: Why do I keep on walking....?
    Yes, driving is faster, but as someone who just went to, and came back from, Santiago "en coche" from Marbella (1180 kms in 14 hours straight!) I can tell you, it is sometimes no less stressful! However, when the Camino calls you, you just have to go!
    Would love to go back and "do" my first Camino again! (1999)
    Enhorabuena! You are walking to the most beautiful (and most mysterious/enigmatic?) city in the world. I wish I hadn't had to leave it once again, but know that it will always be there for me - in reality, and in my heart.
    Tracy Saunders
    http:pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  21. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I suggest that you take your email out of your posts - you will get tonnes of spam - the best thing to do is go to the user CP, top left and add a sig - on this you can add your website, therefore your website will appear at the bottom of all your posts.

22. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    Quite right Leslie. Will do. Thanks. Was unintentional! Used to it now. All correspondence is welcome, but don't need to be told once again about anyone's inheritance in Ghana!!!
    Best,
    T

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  23. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    Diego Pelaez? Who was he?

Can anyone tell me more about this bishop? He was the first architect of the Cathedral and he was replaced by Diego Gelmirez who employed Master Matteo and oversaw construction.
    Tracy Saunders
    http://pilgrimagetoheresy.com

24. Priscillian

Priscillian New Member

Home Page:
    Please walk me through "User CP". Am technodolt. Can reply as PM. Maybe better.
    T

25. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

On the top left of every page there is a menu item which says User CP - in this the first item is edit signature - click on this.

A box will open on the screen where you can write you sig - this will appear at the bottom of all your post from that point on.

If you want to add your web site - write the name of it - highlight it, same as you would do in any program - and then there is a little world as part of the menu on the box which has a paper clip in it, click this after highlighting - it will ask for your web address - add it here - you must include the http:// at the start - so full web address.

You won't break anything and if you end up with something you don't like or want you can you back and change it.

Hope some of this helps.

26. dani1985

dani1985 New Member

Dani and the tot!

Hello there!!

Im new to the community. After my Grandad did the camino from st jean pied de port a few years ago and did so well he has inspired me to do the same. With all this time off being a full time mummy I want to include my new addition to my adventure!!

It would be great for tips and knowledge about various conveniences along the way....i.e. shops that sell baby food or nappies...if not i have a couple of other plans!! But want to gather all the info I can before I embark on my journey!!

xx

27. amgirl5

amgirl5 New Member

Hello

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the forum. I suprised myself last year by suddenly waking up with the idea that I needed to go back and walk again. Left two months later, and I live far away, NW corner of US. Was not sure at the time why I had to go back, still don't know. Often wondered what I was doing there, but don't regret it. I am trying to be okay with not knowing. The experience was deeper of course the second time, as I could worry less about the route, and harder because I kept thinking about other things I'd read and my own previous Camino.

I am still humbled by the kindness of strangers. People who must see thousands of pilgrims pass through their village and still reach out to say hello, or touch your hand or hand you fruit. I hope to offer the same to people in my own city.

Anyway, think I might walk again this coming late February-April. I'm a bit afraid, weather, being alone, etc., still I hope things work out to go. Different season, different experience. (Different packing list, sigh...:))

Enjoy hearing the excitement and wonder in the other posts...
    L

28. Companera

Companera New Member

Hello Leslie,
    I was delighted to find your forum. I walked the Caminho Portugues (from Oporto) a few years ago and loved every moment of it. I have yet to meet anyone else who has walked this route - a pity, because it offers really quiet walking through the most amazing landscape. I'm hoping to walk the Camino Frances in the near future and I have no doubt that a forum like this will be a great source of information. In the meantime, it's just nice to hear what other pilgrims have experienced and to reconnect with the whole Caminho experience.

Thank you for providing the opportunity.
    Companera

29. lizzyjo42

lizzyjo42 New Member

hello

HI leslie,

thank you for such a great site. I'm very excited about the possibility of doing this walk, but have so many questions. I think I posted my first questions in the wrong place but I'm sure it will all work out.
    liz

30. kath

kath New Member

Just Do It

just got back after walking from Ponferrada to arive in Santiago for 25th July, Feast of St James. I am late 40s, overweight and not particularly fit. Living in Wales I am well used to mountains and sudden torrential rain and I didn't find the Camino Frances particularly arduous. Some days the temperature was 34+ which was energy sapping , I ran from tree shade to tree shade. Cooling down for 5 minutes helped a lot. I drank 3L of water every day and hardly needed to spend a penny. Each evening I thought my feet were too hot and sore to ever walk again, I was crippled. Its surprising how you recover by the next morning, everything stops hurting and you find you are able to just get on your boots and do it again each day until it becomes the normal thing to do. The Camino is like life, you just get on with its challenges or give up, miss out and gain nothing. Met loads of interesting pilgrims along the way all good spirited people which makes the walking much easier. You get carried akong with the spirit of it all. Initially I was dreading the whole thing and was a very reluctant pilgrim but I had a great time and surprised myself. If I can get up and walk each day, anybody can. Just do it peregrinos!
    I also felt at home as Galicia is very much like Wales, very Celtic. The only problem I encountered was that vegetarianism is an alien concept, I didn't get to eat very much as meat and fish is the norm for this region. I am therefore somewhat gutted because despite the combination of a daily 25Km hike and a starvation diet I didn't lose any weight at all. Buen Camino Prergrinos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.