1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September 2018

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Devereaux Young, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

BOOKED! Launching my Camino in mid-September, via Madrid/Roncesvalles then SJPDP/Orrisson.
    Wow! Excited, scared and now I need to get ready. Thank you to all alumni on this forum for your experience and wisdom. It makes getting ready so much easier.
    Anyone else launching in mid-September??

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I look forward to reading all about your Adventure

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie and Greg Canning like this.
  3. rnwinters

rnwinters Member

Yes, we are. My wife and I and two friends are starting out from SJPDP on September 15. Flying from Boston to Paris, then train to Bayonne and on to St Jean. Perhaps we'll meet up.

Orisson on the 15th. Roncesvalles on the 16th.

Bob

RJS and Chip Frazier like this.
  4. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Ohhh...you're a day ahead of me, Bob! Hopefully, welll meet somewhere along the Way. I'll be a tall, "older" guy with a very gray goatee, drinking red Buen Camino to you both!

RJS likes this.
  5. Chip Frazier

Chip Frazier New Member

Looking forward to MANY posts! My wife & I plan to walk the entire Camino from SJPP in August-September 2019. So, you are our guide. Particularly interested in your accommodations if you are staying in private rooms s along the way.

Crepes4Suzette, RJS and Ginamarie like this.
  6. Chip Frazier

Chip Frazier New Member

Other than Orisson, will you stay in Albergues or more private accommodations? If the latter, I would be interested in your posts about your experiences--good & not so good,

Crepes4Suzette and RJS like this.
  7. rnwinters

rnwinters Member

We're going to be doing it on the cheap - hostels pretty much the whole way. We have figured on a few "extra days" (we'll decide that on the fly) where we will hang out at someplace interesting, grab a real room and kick back - maybe a nice restaurant meal. But, for the most part, we'll be pinching our Euros.

8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I'm interested in both of your experiences. Are either if you keeping a blog? @Chip Frazier And @rnwinters .

9. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

I am excited for you! I'll be on the trail in Sept. but starting in Burgos where I left off last. It is nice month to start weather-wise, enjoy every day. Gina

10. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Yup. I'll,have a blog. Just getting it started now. Will update here later. A lot of thoughts swirl in the head as you prepare! Surprised!...but ready!

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Ditto...albergues most of the way with a couple of "days off" perhaps in some larger towns (Lorgono, Leon, etc).. oh...and some fly fishing just north of Leon (ala Hemingway)

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  12. Pavlo

Pavlo New Member

Hi Devereaux also starting around the 15 September with my daughter maybe see you on the trail

Devereaux Young likes this.
  13. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We walked both Caminos in Sept-Oct and were generally pleased with the weather and reduced pilgrim traffic on the trail compared to rest of year. First camino we mostly stayed in municipal albergues or private albergues with several bunkbeds in rooms. Last camino, we mostly stayed in private albergues - many "quad rooms" since we were walking with my brother and his wife. The private albergues are more expensive, but it was worth it to get a good night's sleep and only had to share the bathrooms between the four of us. Next camino (Sept-Oct 2019), my wife and I will stay in private rooms for two the entire way. Even though this will be our third camino frances, we will stay in different towns, stay in different albergues, and walk a few different routes. For example, we've not walked through Samos. So we'll enjoy some familiar places and many different. Bob

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  14. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Bob, the walk to Samos is kind of nice along the river. The monastery tour is a rewarding thing to do if you have the time. One of the monks gave the tour in Spanish, but there happened to be a person on the tour who was able to translate for the English-speakers. They have interesting murals painted by different monks and visitors throughout the cloisters, and they take you for a visit to the chapel. I got a nice room for a reasonable price at Domus Itineris across from the monastery. The hostal/restaurant across the street - Costa Victoria - has an extensive menu and very good food.

15. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Crepes4Suzette - thanks for your insight on walking to and staying in Samos. Another advantage is we'll avoid the steep climb out of Triacastela. Also, our tentative plan is to spend the night at Hostal Costa Victoria. Great to get your positive recommendation there. Bob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  16. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Crepes4Suzette, Thanks for the tip on Samos! I really wanted to stop there. Now it's a matter of timing, but I will.
    Bob, how does this avoid the steep climb out of Tricastela? Not familiar with the terrain and town succession.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  17. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Devereaux, there are two possible routes walking out from Triacastela. The main route we've walked twice before passes through San Xil. As soon as you leave town, there is a rocky upward climb. Here is the profile on Gronze.com
    [​IMG]
    The second route passes through Samos, where the historic monastery is located. We've not been there before, so will walk this route and spend the night at Hostal Costa Victoria. Here's the route profile
    [​IMG]
    So you can see there's a clear difference. I don't think anyone should walk the Samos route simply to avoid the climb. Rather - it would be to see historic Samos. Bob