1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Go Back.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg - Your planning is far ahead of mine. Still making some decisions as to route. However, I, too, fly to Europe on September 28 (great minds must think alike).

Congrats on your retirement. I’ve now enjoyed this status for three years. Haven’t looked back once!

As far as suggestions for places to stay, let me share where I lodged.

Triacastela - I had originally planned on staying at the Albergue Complexo Xacobeo. However, I arrived there so early that I walked on to Sarria (more than I’d recommend for a single day).

Sarria - Stayed at the lovely Albergue O Durmiñento right in the center of town. Close to restaurants and right on the Camino.

Portomarin - Just stopped here for a rest break and then moved on to Gonzar about 8 km up The Way. Really enjoyed my stay and the food at the Albergue Casa Garcia.

Melide - Walked on through Palais de Rei and on to Melide. The Albergue San Anton was quite nice.

O Pedrouzo - Stayed at the REM Hostel. Very modern and just a block off the main road. There’s a great pulperia just up the street!

Santiago - I know you’re set for Santiago, but on my first visit, I stayed at the Albergue The Last Stamp. Very clean and modern snd close to the cathedral. On our last two trips we upgraded to the Hosp. San Martin Pinario. A very pleasant treat after walking and reasonably priced.

Glad you’ve planned two days in Santiago. You’ll certsinly enjoy your time there. Buen Camino!

2. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Greg
    I didn't realise you are from Dublin . I was in Ireland in May with my wife Eileen and the rest of her family, visiting relatives in Navan. We went every year when Eileen's sister & husband lived the family home in Navan for 6 months May to Oct and the other 6 months in England. The weather was excellent wall to wall sunshine. There was eight of us and hired a cottage just outside on Navan at Tara Cross and used the opportunity for some sight seeing, went to Howth meet one of Elieen sister's son who lives and works there. The fish & chips and scenery Bueno, Bettystown where they have horse racing on the beach Bonito, Drogheda Sir Oliver Plunket's head in the glass lantern- Hum- muy Sombrío. However an interesting story on being Hung Drawn & Quartered. New grange and the history Impresionante, they have found a new tomb. I wanted to revisit the Jumping Church in Co louth, Historic cada divertido. But run out of time.

Regarding places to stay. Looking at my old notes -
    Sarria - Mosterio da Madalena- very clean , big kitchen, beds well laid out , laundry, good garden area ( Its in the Brierley guide) located on the west side of town just off the camino. less than a 5 min walk to the town centre. A good Italian restaurant on the LHS as walk to the town centre. As an aside, we met a Canadian couple we stayed with in Estella 24 day

Palas de Rei - Albergue Buen Camino - very rustic looking decoration inside. located in the town centre

Portomarin - Didn't make any notes of my stay !!!!!

Arzua - Stayed in a Casa Rural Clean and tidy but didn't record the name

San Payo - Casa Rural. To many flies in the rooms

Santiago-- Hospedería Martin Pinario - If you can book a pilgrims room, the price includes breakfast- excellent value for money. The rooms are clean, simply furnished with showers. the breakfast is a full buffet with an excellent choice different foods. I know you have already have accommodation but for future reference.

Ps. There is an english Mass every day in the cathedral at 10.00 0r 10;30 in a side chapel, except on Sunday. It's just on the LHS, As you enter the cathedral coming from the San Martin Pinario. The cathedral museo is excellent and well worth a visit

Carpe Diem & Buen Camino

Raymond John

3. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Hi All is any one else having trouble getting on to the main page I keep getting fatal error on two lines every time I try to leave this page. Any ideas

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. Wily

Hey Terry - I think this is what we’re all getting. I dropped Leslie a note about the problem in case he wasn’t aware of it. Hopefully, it’ll be fixed soon. Buen Camino!

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  5. Terry Wilson

Good boy Wily. Does that mean I can start putting my computer back together. Now where did I put that eight inch spanner.;);).

hindsfeet likes this.
  6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Thought it was just me!
    Last night... On the plane tomorrow, a bit of a milk tun to get there, Edmonton to Montreal to Amsterdam to Porto... But finally off!

7. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Exciting! Wishing you the best time EVER!!!

Canadian Wander likes this.
  8. Canadian Wander

Thanks Hinds, off to the airport now! Yay!
    Worried I had lost this resource, but I can still get in by the weekly updates sent to my e-mail, so I am ok.

We are off!

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  9. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I can't figure out how to get here without replying to the most active theads email.

But today on the Smithsonian channel there is an item about "Sacred Sites" that is covering the history, etc. of The Camino.

10. Terry Wilson

An old man was being interviewed while on the Camino and he said this. I have never forgotten it. Quote" If you are lucky you will get two lives to live in this world. The first one is the one you are born with and many people are happy just to mumble along with that life. But some of us like Camino people, get a second life, you only get this second life when you realize that you only have one life to live." Enjoy your second life. I hope this helps. You have been a great help to me. God bless. To the Canadian Wander

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Canadian Wander and hindsfeet like this.
  11. Terry Wilson

Yes I am having trouble to.

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Actually I make this offer, depending on my free time, to anyone that has been active on this forum for maybe a year or more.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Apologies in advance for the potential thread hijack

But I see in the posts from Terry and UnkleHammy that they are having trouble accessing the site and I was wondering if they (And others too) were getting the same error message that I get.

Fatal error: Cannot 'break' 2 levels in /usr/home/caminowebmaster/public_html/caminodesantiago.org.uk/library/WidgetFramework/Helper/Index.php on line 90

And therefore is Leslie aware of the problem

Thanks

Rob

14. hindsfeet

Hi Rob, yes....I believe that we all are experiencing the same response. Wily stated that he notified Leslie of the problem. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Crepes4Suzette and RJS like this.
  15. Canadian Wander

I too apologize to Terry for riding his thread.
    Currently in Barcelos, long hard walk today, 28 degree, with a number of challenges... My pack is still AWOL from our flight to Porto. I know Wily, laugh... You did warn me. Plus thing is we are only a Little bit out of sorts, we packed carry on like we expected this, so gear wise we are ok, just a very long walk wearing my wife's pack!
    Food and wine great, jet lagged but happy to be moving! Hoping to meet my bag on Ponta de Lima tomorrow!
    Bom Camino!

16. Canadian Wander

And Terry, IRT your thread reply, many thanks for your kind words , and I 100% agree, my second life is all joy

17. Wily

The problem seems to continue for all of us. I’ve not had a response from Leslie yet.

18. Wily

Hey CW - Pack or no pack, I’m glad you’re in pretty good spirits! I remember that walk from Vila do Conde to Barcelos. It was a pretty long trek! Fingers crossed that your pack arrives in the most lovely town of Ponte de Lima tomorrow. In any case, I know you’ll deal with this challenge and enjoy your Camino up to Sanitago. It’s a great walk. Bom Caminho!

19. Terry Wilson

Good man.
    But the story did not end there. This will knock you over. After that old man giving us all such words of wisdom. He died the next day walking the Camino he had walked it many times. What a wonderful way to go . God bless him.

20. Terry Wilson

No one is hijacking my post in fact I feel quite good about the fact that people comfortable in doing this carry on.

21. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Terry – And hindsfeet :)

I also emailed Leslie when the problem first happened – But aren’t sure whether the problem on the site has extended to his emails as I also haven’t had a response from him – And this is unusual as in the past he has been very quick with his replies.

If the problem persists, does anyone know of other ways of contacting him – Maybe Facebook or similar ??

Best Regards

Rob

hindsfeet likes this.
  22. hindsfeet

I hope that Leslie is healthy and well. Maybe he is on a well deserved holiday....... needing to get away......walking his heart out somewhere on the Camino! Run Leslie run!

RJS and Canadian Wander like this.
  23. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Oh no, CW! I hope your pack turned up! I liked Barcelos and hope you enjoyed being there despite the challenges. Will be eager to hear how you two are getting along on the Portuguese - happy trails.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  24. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

I had the same error message and thought that it was just my problem but after two days I was back. Wishing the Canadian Wander couple a great adventure.

25. Canadian Wander

image.jpeg
    Look who finally decided to join the Camino! Arrived today in Pont de Lima, and it had just arrived!
    Crazy here as a 3 day festival is starting, 24/7 party time!
    Finally getting my grove back, good walk today. A little different wearing my wife's pack the last 3 days, with all our gear we had cpmbined, but it does show you what you really need versus the nice to have!
    Nice to have my after walk shoes though!

26. hindsfeet

YaY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a long lost teddy bear! aw, cute

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  27. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Woohooo! Excellent! Such a good feeling when you finally get your backpack back! Hope the festival didn't keep you awake all night. When my sister and I were in Tui there was a Renaissance festival going on, seemingly all right on the plaza (in front of albergue Ideas Peregrinas) complete with bagpipes and drums and yelling and laughing until 02:00. In O Porrino, Alojamiento Camino Portuguese is nice in case you need a rec. Will wait to hear more tales from the Portuguese, CW, and hope your walk today was good.

Wily, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  28. Terry Wilson

Fantastic C W go for it

29. Terry Wilson

Ask me what kept me awake at 2.00AM on the camino one nite..

30. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

On our Camino it seemed that every Friday night, except for the first one in Roncescalles, there was one heck of a party in the streets until literally the next morning. It started in Torres del Rio, where the rock band played until 4:30 am right outside of our window. And it happened again in Leon, La Portella, and Melide. It seemed that we were short of sleep almost every Saturday morning.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.