1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Go Back.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Aug 11, 2018.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bryan, yes it was a surprise to us the amount of night-time partying that goes on in Camino towns and cities, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights. With warm weather and open windows at night, the loud singing and celebration can go on until the early hours of the morning, making it difficult to sleep. During our second camino we stayed at the Albergue La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo. A wonderful resort-type albergue with mountain top vistas, nice dining room and swimming pool. Several guests partied well into the night. In the morning I was greeted with vomit in one of the sinks in the bathroom. Disgusting! Bob

2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Raymond John

Apologies for not replying to your mail sooner but we've been away and I haven't had access to my PC and I'm not great with typing on my phone. It seems you have a considerable knowledge of Dublin and Meath. I love Newgrange and I think they've done a great job with the visitors centre (amazing to think it's older than the Great Pyramd at Giza) If you are back in the area again their is a small passage grave at Four Knocks in North County Dublin which is well worth a visit. Not as big of impressive as Newgrange but you get it all to yourself and it has one of the earliest stone depcitions of a face.

Oliver's head is a bit bizarre isn't it!

Thanks for the suggestions. We head off in Friday morning for Madrid (flights at 6am!!!)

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Raymond John

Apologies for not replying to your mail sooner but we've been away and I haven't had access to my PC and I'm not great with typing on my phone. It seems you have a considerable knowledge of Dublin and Meath. I love Newgrange and I think they've done a great job with the visitors centre (amazing to think it's older than the Great Pyramd at Giza) If you are back in the area again their is a small passage grave at Four Knocks in North County Dublin which is well worth a visit. Not as big of impressive as Newgrange but you get it all to yourself and it has one of the earliest stone depcitions of a face.

Oliver's head is a bit bizarre isn't it!

Thanks for the suggestions. We head off in Friday morning for Madrid (flights at 6am!!!)

Buen Camino

Greg

4. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Bob,

I looked up that albergue and it looks like a wonderful location. Great views. The day that we went through Acebo is etched in my mind because right after we went through Acebo the trail is less steep than the section before and the section after Riego de Ambros. I kind of lost my focus, letting my mind wander, and failed to lift my right foot high enough over a rock. As soon as I kicked the rock I knew I was going down. It seemed like slow motion and I had a number of thoughts (I am going to fall! I am going face first into rock! I am going to break my glasses! This is going to hurt!). I landed on my left cheek bone on a rock. I managed not to break my glasses, but scraped up a knee, sprained my left thumb severely (hanging onto a hiking pole), and bruised up and scraped the left side of my face a bit. I came through it not too bad. We were almost down the last of the steep part just before Molinaseca when my sister fell (she has no idea what happened) and landed on a rock with her forehead, creating two big bruises and a black eye. We were lucky. We stayed in Molinaseca and saw many people bruised up and a woman who had to take a taxi to another town with medical services and get stitches in her face and much bandaging. Should I ever get the chance to do the Camino again, I will certainly consider staying at this location.

Bryan

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Hi Bryan in the post directly above yours I said ask me what woke me up at 2am well I will tell you .
    A little old lady in the bunk under mine and she was part of our group .She rang her son for a chat in a load voice she did not even bother to go out of the dorm, BEAT THAT.

UnkleHammy and Bryan Morlock like this.
  6. Bryan Morlock

Wow Terry. I would not have been able to hold my tongue about that after the first time. In our group we decided that the group would vote on any issues and the vote would rule. Yours was a situation that we never would have envisioned, but it would have come to a vote quickly. Or, you could have asked someone unknown to your group the next day at your destination that if she did it during the night to make a courteous complaint to her, and suggest she take it downstairs or outside. We occasionally had someone make noise with a door or packing up extra early in the morning but for the most part it was pretty good. Some mornings we would wake up to find a few people gone and had not heard a sound when they got up and left. Very impressive.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. Terry Wilson

Hi Bryan when I brought it up at one of our meetings we would have I was made to look like the grumpy old man and no one else in the group would speak up, they were all upset about it but when it came to speaking up they all shut up and let me look like the big grump. I will never walk with a large group again.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bryan, glad you survived your bad spill. Same thing happened to my wife as we were hiking towards O'Cebreiro last fall. Walking along the rocky trail, she lost her focus and despite using two trekking poles, she slipped and hit the ground pretty hard. Fortunately just a few scrapes and we were able to continue walking.

I do remember the steep trail descents from Riego de Ambros all the way to Molinaseca. During our first camino (2015), we decided to walk on the road rather than the trail. To avoid oncoming traffic on the very winding roads, this required us to walk along the left side of the road, with a small stone wall not more than 18 inches tall separating us from a sheer cliff dropoff hundreds of feet below. It was terrifying. We finally decided to walk on the right side of the road, hiking with traffic and just hug the wall if a car came up behind us. During our camino last fall, we decided to hike the mountain path down into Molinaseca. It was challenging, but did not create the fear of heights we experienced before. For our third camino next fall, we'll take the mountain trail again, making sure we keep our focus the entire way, then spend the night at Hostel El Palacio in Molinaseca.

Bob

9. Bryan Morlock

In all of our Camino pictures that involve some sort of drop off edge, I am the one furthest away from the edge. I am the sibling in our family blessed with some tremors, including in my legs, that get passed down from generation to generation. So I am really shy about being close to any place where I could fall off. My conditioning was so good by the end of the Camino that the tremor issues were greatly reduced. I guess that means that it is time that I need to do another Camino. I hadn't thought of that excuse before! :)

10. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Oh no, LOL. It's so different how late they do things in Spain. Funny you mention Melide. I remember leaving Melide at sunup (on a weeknight......) and there being young people all over the plazas still out partying and loud. Sounds like a recipe for an wearing Saturday of hiking:0((.

11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Hi Bryan, I wish that I could boast about being the 'SAFE' one, and walking furthest away from a drop off edge! Ha...."but, hey...maybe I can see something really cool down there, an animal perhaps, stream with wild birds and creatures?" Leaving Villafranca and closing in on O'Cebreiro, walking near the edge, I slipped on some loose rock, fully packed out, hiking poles engaged....FWAP!! Whole body down......hanging half off the ledge. There were plenty of trees, so if my body decided to keep rolling, well....a tree would have blocked my tumble. I was prone for a minute or so. Tears came to my eyes, yes.....an instant of feeling sorry for myself, alone, tired....thought, "I think my wrist snapped". If I was hiking with my daughter, or a friend....they would have come running over shouting.."Are you alright?, OMG, let me help you up!" Stone silence.......all alone, dirt on my face....all the way down the front of my body. Two more tears...then outloud I softly cried, "I fell down!". I am not kidding, I heard a voice in my head say...."Ok, well...GET UP!" I quickly got up, was perfectly fine...and finished my ascent.....empowered like never before! It made me laugh....wish I could witness a video of that whole scene. What a baby!!!!!
    And Bryan, you are right....your body gets so conditioned after the Camino...stronger in every way!! See you on the trail!! I am the one still walking on the edge!!! :D :D :D

12. Bryan Morlock

Well, I would certainly like to meet up with you if we are ever on the Camino at the same time, but you will have to step away from the edge.
    But you are so right, things that would be major issues back home become much more trivial on the Camino. Come on! Suck it up and let's go! Been there, done that. I really enjoy all these stories. Part of it makes my Camino seem even more successful, even with three falls (two were pretty minor).
    Thanks for sharing the story.

Bryan

13. Terry Wilson

You need to stop drinking that vino Hindsey.

hindsfeet likes this.
  14. Bryan Morlock

Terry,

Let's see:

1. Living life on the edge
    2. Symptoms of falling down
    3. Hearing voices inside her head
    4. Laughing when no one else is around
    5. Playing in the dirt

You might be on to something here, or it could be Hindsfeet is on to something. :p

Bryan

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  15. Terry Wilson

Hello Bryan. Of your five statments I can empathize (big word for me);). With no 3 and 4 as I am seventy have one wife and four adult ( somtimes) daughters and many grandchildren . Many times I talk back to the voices in my head just to get some one to agree with me :p. Also no 4 I always laugh to myself as no one else laughs at my jokes. But I think you are normal Terry? yes you are Terry! thank you for the affirmation Terry thats ok have a nice day. I need to walk again:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:.

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  16. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I try to keep the voices in my head to myself.

17. hindsfeet

Terry......I guess I am probably sharing too much info!!!!!! Ha.....it is funny, believe it or not I only had four glasses of wine on the entire Camino! I got addicted to their delicious orange juice! I never did like drinking alcohol....I am one of those people that cherish a clear head. And everyone I met for dinner would make fun of me because after one glass of wine, my face would get numb! I know, I know.......more vino for everyone else!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  18. hindsfeet

Oh no Bryan......that DOESN'T look so good in print! That is hilarious!!!!!!!! Yikes, and no one wants to play with me!!!!!!! Ok, I need help, better head back to where it all started, hmmmm.....where did I put my backpack?

19. hindsfeet

I will be taking your advice......see, being transparent isn't a good idea after all!!! :D

20. Terry Wilson

next time we go on the camino can I sit next to you at dinner.

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  21. Bryan Morlock

Our whole group of four got addicted to their wonderful orange juice machines. It was so much fun watching them work. We would typically walk for 3 - 6 miles, then stop for breakfast. We were so disappointed the few times we stopped and their orange juice was pre-packaged. I actually checked on the cost of one when I got home. The price really didn't matter since I would not want to have to clean the machine.

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  22. hindsfeet

Haaaaaaaaa

23. hindsfeet

I know what you mean Bryan. I refused to buy the bottled juice, just no comparison. I am sure that those machines are costly. I juice my own, but it doesn't taste like theirs. Maybe the juice machines are always running, maybe never stopping to clean. No, I don't think so. :D

24. Terry Wilson

I was amazed at how much juice was in those oranges and it was so good. I wish some one else in our group had drunk !!! more orange juice.:);):(. Thank you for sharing you thoughts with us you are good value.

hindsfeet likes this.
  25. hindsfeet

Terry, thank you for your kind words. Um.....I really never thought of my comments as adding real value. I am not meticulous at explaining or helping anyone choosing routes, albergues, or historical sites not to miss. I have gleaned so much wisdom and information from all of the seasoned Pilgrims on this forum...... I am not well traveled....in fact, in May was my first time to Europe. I wanted to complete the Camino Frances and beyond, and then hope to help others looking to do the same, but I am not a great planner, I am very spontaneous and quite the simpleton. I just truly love life, the people in it, and honestly believe that how we treat others is what makes all of the difference. And I love this forum, and everyone that contributes to it! Oh, ok.....I love to eat, and really have some great pics of the food I consumed in Spain!! :D :D :D (Wily encouraged me to eat :D)

26. Canadian Wander

Hinds is right, Wily has been the culprit in many adventures I expect.
    Hinds, we love your joy.

Wily, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  27. hindsfeet

Hi guys......It IS nice to have a place (sorry Wily) to let our excuses fall!
    Hope that you are both settled in once again from your CP, ready to brace the winter up there!

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  28. Canadian Wander

image2.JPG image1.JPG
    This....this is what I came home to from Portugal!!!! 29 degree and shorts/t-shirts, to getting off the plane to not enough clothes in our packs to be warm to the car!
    I want to go back!

29. hindsfeet

Yikes......I am from Wisconsin originally....I know what you mean! Hmmmm....it is 105 degrees today in Phoenix. I just watered my garden, tomatoes are blossoming, flowers bright and beautiful. I am SORRY!! That was uncalled for. I bet your air is a lot cleaner than mine though!!! Hang in there, spring is right around the corner :D

30. Terry Wilson

Hello all having bleated on to you all about should I go back .I AM.Going back 20th April doing it all again from St Jean,(cheers in the background) thankyou. You know what I feel great about it thankyou to all who commented and helped me .As the Beatles sang I feel fine.:);):);)

Wily, UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and 2 others like this.