1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shower / bath

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by mogannis, May 14, 2012.

1. mogannis

mogannis Guest

Hello,
    I am planning a trip starting at SJPP. This will be my first trip there. Probably April of 2013 or 2014. The question I have is how are the shower or bath rooms set-up in the different albergues or hostels . Are they stalls?

Jay

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Jay ~
    Showers and baths are set up in many different ways on the camino. I'm not sure anyone has seen them all, but here are the variants I've seen
    • Co-ed bathrooms with shared sinks, but toilets are in separate stalls and showers are in separate stalls.
    • Single-sex bathrooms with shared sinks, but toilets and showers in separate stalls.
    • Private bathrooms with a single shower, toilet and sink.
    I've heard of shower stalls on the camino without shower curtains and also shower stalls with clear glass doors, but I haven't personally experienced them. In general I haven't found shower privacy to be a problem. It's not uncommon, though, to stand next to a scantily clad member of the opposite sex who's brushing his/her teeth. Somehow the camino allows for all this without too much anxiety among most pilgrims. Perhaps it's the fact that everyone is exhausted by the end of most days. Buen camino!

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  3. Emma

Emma Member

I walked from SJPP to Santiago and only came across one place (municipal alburgue in Zubiri) where the shower areas were single sex BUT there was no curtain/doors separating you from your fellow pilgrims. Despite my initial reservation, as Sandy hinted at above, by that time, I was simply too tired to care much. Otherwise, most showers had doors/curtains from what I can recall.

Buen Camino!

4. Don Grabow

Don Grabow New Member

I am somewhat concerned about alburgues life. My wife is very modest and very innocent. Just how much nudity./semi nudity is there?

5. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

In September the single sex showers in the xunta ran albergue in o'cebrerio had no shower curtains or doors. Most people didn't grumble too much about this. It was the non frosted windows and no blinds of the ground level bathroom that seemed to illicit the most complaints.

6. Covey

Covey Active Member

One can rest assured that having staggered up the hills to Cebreiro, the lack of shower curtains will be the last thing on most pilgrims mind. Oxygen, a cold beer and some food will reduce the shower issue to a long way down the list of Camino dislikes.

Anyway, if Claudia Schiffer appeared naked in the Albergue, it is unlikely to interrupt the close inspection of ones feet and the inevitable contemplation of the delights or otherwise of Compeed..

Miss Schiffer would find few takers for tripping the light fantastic!!

7. grayland

grayland Member

Covey's age is beginning to show!

8. Covey

Covey Active Member

It is not a matter of age, just priorities!!!

9. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

Sorry Covey but I'm siding with Grayland here... I don't think I was ever so distracted as to ignore a naked Claudia Schiffer or almost anyone else to be honest..

That said, I was fortunate enough to only get one small blister, so tending to my feet was never really a problem.

Now finding a private spot for 'tripping the light fantastic' would of been more trouble than its worth ;)

Steve.

10. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

True. And by then, it would probablt not be the first time.

And for reasons other than the one above. There is a friendship and level of respect that develops along the Way which takes away the superficial. Behaviors become more civilized. "Claudia Schiffler" may appear in many guises. Likewise, Gerard Butlers. But it is the eye of the beholder that makes this happen, and the shared experience of fatigue, injury, and breaking bread together creates this unique way of seeing others.

For me, this may be the single most powerful aspect of the Camino. Shared experience in every day life is the best way to build and enrich relationships. Taking this home is what the Camino is all about. Sure has made my life better ! :D

11. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Spot on, Alan. You've summed it up in a nutshell. It is the fellowship of man expressed in a manner that I have never experienced anywhere else and which makes the whole exercise the greatest experience I am likely to have.

12. Donal

Donal New Member

Barcellos Loo.jpg
    Not wanting to upset anyone but here are the loos in Barcellos. The expression "not until hell freezes over" springs to mind.

13. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

:confused:

Hmm, they look nice and clean and in good working order. So what if they are a little close togeth ...

Ohhhhhhhhh !!!!!

Now I get it !

:rolleyes:

:eek:

14. Kiki

Kiki New Member

I have read many of the comments on bathrooms and showers, but I'm wondering what to expect while walking the camino. Are there any bathrooms pilgrims can use along the way?

15. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    In most cases there are towns every several kilometers, and most of the towns have a bar/cafe that is available to customers. It's definitely worth the €1 or €2 necessary to buy a cup of coffee or bottle of water. There are stretches of the camino in which there's no town available. For this reason pilgrims bring along a roll of toilet paper in their pack and step off the path when the time comes.

Some people are concerned about privacy in these instances, so they cut back on the amount of water they drink. This is a bad idea, because dehydration leads to a host of physical problems. Just plan to be a little less worried about modesty -- everyone understands because we're all in the same boat sometime.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. grayland

grayland Member

I might add to Sandy's very good description that finding decent privacy is not difficult in most cases. This is
    usually not something to worry about.
    In some areas there are giant hay stacks that are welcomed by the ladies.

17. Kiki

Kiki New Member

Thank you for responding. Yes,
    the lack of privacy will be a bit of an issue, but it won't stop me from doing the Camino.