1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silk Liner Or Season 1 Sleeping Bag For May?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by YorkieUltraRunner, Apr 1, 2016.

1. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

Interested to hear from anybody that started at the beginning of May on Camino Frances and whether they took just a sleeping bag liner or a Season 1 sleeping bag?

Seems to be a funny time of year where it could be either and I want to keep the weight down as I am Run/Walking

Thank you

2. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Last year I started on 12th May and just took a silk liner to save weight. Most Albergues had blankets available when needed, but for many nights the liner was OK on its own.

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  3. YorkieUltraRunner

Thanks Mike, have been reading a lot of your posts and most helpful.

I have found a 650g liner and so that it what it shall be :)

Devon Mike likes this.
  4. Kiwi

Kiwi Member

That is a pretty heavy liner at 650g. In May I am taking a YHA sized silk liner (880mm x 2000mm rectangular) that weighs only 110g. Like Mike, I will use this as a sleeping bag.
    Cheers,
    Kiwi

Devon Mike and YorkieUltraRunner like this.
  5. YorkieUltraRunner

It's a fleece type one, so sort if in between a silk one and a full sleeping bag, I have seen a YHA one but It was 250g

6. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I use a Rab silk liner which weighs 104g.

7. YorkieUltraRunner

Think I will go in the middle with 200 - 250 as I will have a lightweight fleece as well

8. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

I used a silk liner in April/May on the Frances.
    Bed Bugs don't do silk ;)

9. YorkieUltraRunner

What was the weather like?

What do bed bugs like? have to say I am not a bed bugs officiando :)

10. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

It was one of Spain's coldest April/May on record; snowed twice on my Camino.
    Bed bugs are not that much of an issue in spring. They seem to be more common in summer. That being said, I would still spray my backpack and sleeping bag with Pemethrin before you go. Note; to keep the spread of these little critters, most hospitaleros do not want you setting your pack on the bed. This is a pilgrim fopa like walking in with muddy shoes. If you feel that a place may have bedbugs move on. I usually take a quick look in the seems on mattresses and behind any wall hangings. You can pull up pictures and all kinds of info on the web. Bedbugs on the Camino are relevant but way overrated as a major concern. I have never had an issue but have seen first hand the string of threes (bites) on pilgrims.

11. YorkieUltraRunner

Appreciate it and I think that I would put more time and energy into other things or it can start to become the focus of attention and in life, things happen no matter what and so if and when something happens, I will deal with it.

12. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Personally, I always advocate taking an ultra-light sleeping bag as although, in all probability, you won’t need it too many times, when you do, you will be extremely grateful that you brought it with you.

As already mentioned, most Refugio’s now provide blankets, but there are still a few that don’t and also some Refugio’s have an overflow capability, often this is just floor space, so having a sleeping bag in this situation can make a real difference.

However, whether you take an ultra-light sleeping bag, or just a silk liner will also come down to your budget, if you have a decent budget and can afford to stay in private accommodation if Refugio’s are full or there aren’t blankets available, and/or hop in a taxi to where the next available accommodation is (And return the next morning) then I would agree with what has already been posted and just take along the silk liner

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

13. YorkieUltraRunner

Appreciate your thoughts Rob

14. Joanna99

Joanna99 New Member

Hi,

I'm reading this and have found both the questions and answers most useful. Bed bugs we hadn't even thought of, since I have said this to my mother now she is in a bit of a panic. We will be doing the camino frances late may 2017 and she is now taking a sleeping bag - even though there not much of an issue.
    Buen Camino:)