1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sjpp To Roncevalles - September 2017

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Galloglaigh, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg - From Fromista, you've got a relatively flat and easy walk to Carrion de Los Conde. I hope you get a chance to hear the Sisters at the Albergue Santa Clara. Even if you're not staying there, you're welcome to listen to them sing. You might also be able to catch them next door at the church during the evening mass. Carrion is also a pleasant town to walk around. If you have the energy, cross the river and check out the Monastery San Zoilo. Buen Camino!

2. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Fantastic report, Jose. Your journey thus far inspires me. Glad the boots are amazing and your advice about staying in alternative spots not recommended in Brierley to avoid completo albergues is priceless!

3. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Many thanks for the lovely pics, UmkleHammy. Casa Sabina looks like a place I could become very fond of. Ensconsed out the front with a cold beer on a sunny afternoon after climbing down from the Col...

Greg Canning, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Thanks Wily

In Vilacazar de Sirga having lunch at the moment. We had nice easy walk to start this leg of our Camino and to top it off we saw a wolf on the way between Vilovecio and here. She just appeared over the hill and loped down towards the river. Unfortunately a noisy group following us frightened her away but still a fantastic experience.

The Camino provides

Buen Camino

Greg

James Orrock, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Wily
    We did indeed get to hear the nuns sing. It was wonderful to sit in the peace of the beautiful church.

Buen Camino

Greg

James Orrock and Wily like this.
  6. Wily

That's great Greg. So many highlights along the Camino, but that was one of mine. In general, I thought Carrion was quite a nice town. A lovely park just outside the front doors of the church where I caught up in some journaling. I happened to meet a retired American doctor/guitar maker/concert promoter who gave me a personal tour of the town. Fond memories. Buen Camino!

James Orrock likes this.
  7. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Good information and update.
    Thanks

8. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Wily likes this.
  9. Wily

Hey Devereaux - I’m glad to hear your plans for the Camino have fallen into place. But, I warn you, walking can become addictive! I may be back over in Sept/Oct for a different Camino as well plus it’ll give me a chance to enjoy the fall months that so many others have spoken so well of.

At 6’4” you’ll still be fine in most bunks. You may have to angle a bit now and then, but fitting into the beds won’t be much of a problem. Snoring is another issue! Do bring earplugs! You’ve got a lot to look forward to both in planning your journey and then walking. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and davebugg like this.
  10. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

I have my earplugs, Wily! I've read too many albergue stories of "freight trains in the night" to not have them! Good to know I'll fit in those bunks! Buen Camino.

Wily likes this.
  11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Either there were no load snorers or I was the loud one. I never had problems with night time noise.