1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping bag or liner(s)

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Ananias, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ananias

Ananias Guest

I may be a tad obsessive- so please be patience; I am beginning the VDLP in mid-March and seeking sage advice on taking my 2.2 sleeping bag or opting for a lighter silk or flannel sleeping bag liner. Without the sleeping bag, am I setting myself up for cold nights in unheated / blanket-free albergues?

2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Mid march will likely be cold at night. After walking two caminos I would take both a sleeping bag and liner. I also take a treated under-sheet as protection against bed bugs. If anyone is interested, my rather thorough assessment of walking gear can be seen here

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It is 9 years since I walked the Via de la Plata – I took my sleeping bag and was very glad that I did as some of the Albergue’s were very simple and didn’t provide very much, some had no beds, sometimes I slept in sports halls that were Huge, so very chilly in the night.
    I know that improvements will have been made in the intervening time, but If I were you, I would still take along a sleeping bag.
    I have reviewed all the places I slept in the “Hotels” Tips section on my own Via de la Plata trip notes – Link in my tagline If you want to take a look
    Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

4. lucymi

lucymi Member

I agree with Maggie and Rob, I'd take a sleeping bag. It will be quite cold at night and if you have your sleeping bag plus blankets which several alberques provide you'll be more comfortable. I walked Leon to Santiago in May and experienced all 4 seasons.
    One of the forum members (Highlander) has some very good advice about sleeping bags, there are some very lightweight ones available nowadays.

5. Me Fein

Me Fein New Member

This year I walked the Via de la Plata (Seville to Santiago and continued on to Muxia) starting April 1st.I encountered all kinds of weather hot ,temperate,cold, biting wind and luckily only 2 1/2 days of rain during the 6+ weeks that I walked. I carried a lightweight sleeping bag and a silk liner both of which I used(together or apart as needed).Hope this is of some help.
    Enjoy every step. Buen Camino
    Maura

6. mycamino

mycamino New Member

A word of advice. The albergue in I think its Alcuescar, a monastery and home for handicapped men is FREEZING. You will probably be told they haven't any blankets. Wait till the hospitalero goes to bed --- they hide the blankets--lots of them in the upstairs dorm, just put it back before he gets up in the morning. A tried and tested formula against hyperthermia !!!

7. Orava

Orava Active Member

There is also the option of using a light three piece system to cater for both cold and warm conditions indoors or out. I am planning to use such a system in May to allow some camping out.

1. Silk liner 100g - use on its own in alburgues when warm
    2. Very light summer bag 400g - add this if cooler
    3. Thermal bivy sack 240g SOL Escape bivy - add if camping out or if v cold in alburgue etc.

8. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Orava

on one camino In MAY 2012 it was hot in Logrono and hardly any rain for the whole camino....May is a good Month to go .. like you I am not weather depended and in winter Its annoying having to de-ice your tent..(takes time)..I take a superlight Terra nova sleeping bag not cheap and lighter than any cheap ones you can only use indoors. pack down to nothing....I use a liner in the bag and outside the bag if its hot inside the albergue. if I get back to SJPP in time I will see you around anyway. that was when I was going anyway....

struggling here being at home, should be in Scotland camping...

9. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Has anyone tried a sleeping quilt? From what I've read, the bottoms of sleeping bags have less fill and don't really provide warmth. I converted a 30 degree mummy sleeping bag to a quilt with a foot pocket. Lost 1 1/2 pounds from a 3.5 lb bag. Found this article: http://purebound.com/homemade/sleepingbag/ with instructions on how to do the conversion. Will be on the via de la plata from last week in September to the first days of November. Will also be bringing a silk liner which will also be treated for bed bugs.

10. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Maywood, I love your water bottle long straw and on the shoulder rain protection solutions. And the infinity scarf is something I'll have to try. Did you carry on your backpack with your poles?

11. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Hi @ricitosdeplata , this year I am using a slightly different hydration system, the "RaidLight Olmo Bottle Holder with 750ml Bottle"
    I definitely take in more water if I have a tube to drink through, but I hated using a water bladder. The system I used last year worked well (a tube from a bottle hanging from my waist) but the long tube would fall to the ground when I removed my pack which was not very hygienic. So I'm hoping that my third attempt at convenient hydration will be the ideal system. I also take an additional 750 ml bottle that will be either hanging from my waist or in the side pocket of my pack.

Regarding walking poles, the first year I posted them home, but last year I took a chance with ryanair (internal spanish flight) and stowed them in my backpack which I carried on with no problem.
    image.jpg

ricitosdeplata likes this.
  12. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Thanks for your reply. This trading of tips and support is why I appreciate this website. I'm also a mature peregrina--68, Texan, traveling alone in September on Vdlp.

Magwood likes this.
  13. vinsman

vinsman New Member

I carry a very light sleeping bag. REI 55 degree. and a silk sleep sack. Use both or just one depending. Sometimes both and sleep in my clothes to keep warm. Whatever is necessary. As far as water goes I carry two 1.5ltr bottles. I am able to remove them from my pack without taking it off and I prefer it to the tube and bladder system that many use.

14. Barbara999

Barbara999 Guest

RE: water. I walked my first Camino in October. I noticed that many people we not drinking enough water not because they didn't have enough, but because it wasn't easily to reach. I kept a liter bottle in the side pocket of my pack, and used a "S" clip on the front of the shoulder strap with a 1/2 liter bottle attached to it. It hung about hip level, slid easily up and down the strap, and was lightweight.