1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping Bag?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by J. Cooper, Jan 30, 2018.

1. J. Cooper

J. Cooper New Member

For Tui to Santiago (last 100 Km) in 6 stages approx. in March 2018, would a silk liner suffice to save on weight carried? I am planning to stay in hostels. Would I be right in thinking hostels will have blankets?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I always take an ultralight Sleeping Bag on Camino with me as I tend to stay in as many Municipal Refugio’s as I can, these sometimes only offer very basic facilities (Particularly on the less walked routes), so a Sleeping Bag can be very useful (Even on the more popular Camino’s, Municipal Refugio’s operate on a first come, first served basis, but when all the beds are taken, there is still sometimes floor space available, and having a Sleeping Bag can make the difference between a comfortable night, and a very uncomfortable one!!)

So – Although, Yes, Hostals (Including Municipal Refugio’s) will normally have blankets, unless you are prebooking private hostals, then, personally, I would take an ultralight Sleeping Bag with me.

It could also still be quite chilly in March !!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Jo Waller, danvo and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Cooper,
    My wife and I walked that route just last March. I would recommend taking a sleeping bag. We had most pleasant weather, but no particularly warm days where I thought a sleeping bag was too much. On a couple rainy days, the extra warmth of a light bad was most welcoming. In the albergues where we stayed between Tui and Santiago, blankets were not always available. Our Fjallraven, one-season bags only weigh 17 ounces so extra weight was minimal. As we pack for our return to Spain again this March, our bags will definitely be with us. If you’re planning on staying in private albergues, there are a number of very good ones in this stretch of the Portugués. I’ll be glad to recommend several if you’re interested. Bom Caminho!

4. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

In that season I would say that it is quite advisable to take a sleeping bag. In some albergues it could be a little cold at night. You don't need a sleeping bag for very low temperatures, every albergue will count with some kind of heating system. Something for 15 C or so will be enough.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

For our first camino frances, my wife and I both brought light weight sleeping bags and a silk liner (both sprayed in advance with Permithrin). We walked from mid-Sept to end Oct. For the warmer nights, I slept with the sleeping bag under me, and used the silk liner as a top sheet. A few nights the temp in the albergue was pretty cool, so we were glad to be able to climb into our warm sleeping bags. For our second camino frances last fall, my wife brought the same, but I decided to bring a fleece liner instead of my sleeping bag, along with the silk liner. It worked okay, but was not as warm as the sleeping bag on cooler nights and took about the same space in my backpack. In hindsight, the sleeping bag would have been better. For the recent camino, we stayed in private rooms almost half of our nights, which provide clean sheets, pillows and blankets in each room, so we didn't need our sleeping bag / fleece sheet. For our third camino planned for next year, we'll leave the sleeping bags, liners and inflatable pillows at home and make reservations in private rooms the entire way, so we won't need to carry the extra weight at all! Bob

Jo Waller, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.