Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Sleeping Bags Vs Silk Liners And Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by Kathy Langin, May 8, 2016.

1. Kathy Langin

Kathy Langin Guest

I am hiking the Norte Route from Irun to Compestela in July.... Is a liner adequate, and should we spray permethrin on our bedding? Thanks!

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Kathy

Welcome to the forum :)

Whether or not to carry a sleeping bag is an often debated question on here and different people have differing views.

From a warmth perspective, you won’t need a sleeping bag in July on The Camino Norte – But If it were me, I would still take one as many or the Refugio de Peregrino’s on The Camino Norte are quite simple affairs and although most do have blankets, the overflow facilities often don’t

However, If you have a large budget and can afford either to hop into a taxi and/or afford hotel accommodation if you find yourself in a similar position, then taking a sleeping bag yourself might not be necessary.

I didn’t use any treatment to deter bed bugs when I walked the route and can only remember one Refugio were they were a bit of a problem

When I walked The Camino Norte I reviewed the accommodation I used on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/42d90/ and http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bc/ – You might find the info useful when planning your own stops – Also forum member Magwood is now walking the route and I am sure she would happily answer any further questions you have
    Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    @Kathy Langin interestingly I just published a post on this very question here - http://www.caminoadventures.com/sleeping-bag/

I have always been a sleeping bag person in all weathers, I might try the liner next time around it looks like a great idea from a weight and space perspective.

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

During our Camino Frances last October, my wife and I carried light weight sleeping bags and silk liners, both sprayed with permethrin. We kept these in a "dry sack" along with an inflatable pillow. These were all kept dry, even during days of steady rain downpours.

I found that using both silk liner and sleeping bag was overkill and the liner often got wrapped around my legs and/or was difficult to climb into both particularly if I had to get up in the middle of the night. Next camino we'll leave the silk liners at home. By the way, no problems the entire camino with bed bugs.

Anja likes this.
  5. WilliamCruz

WilliamCruz New Member

Leslie! Loving these posts!!! Keep it up!

Leslie likes this.
  6. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I have done 2 Caminos ( Frances) (2014-2016 May -June) both with a light weight Sleeping bags . Most times I used it to lie on.
    On my last trip, one of my Camino Friends used a cotton liner.
    I will be doing Camino del Norte ( 2017 May-June ) and I will be taking a cotton Liner . Less space, less weight and a pillow insert
    upload_2017-2-17_15-33-42.png

raymond john and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

El Condor
    We left Melbourne 2 weeks ago after visiting my wife sister in Thomastown. We had a wonderful time. Its a great city to visit.I enjoyed the old gail (It felt like i was at home, since I worked for HMP service) We had an evening meal on the tram restaurant.(to much food & drink) . I didn't realise how changeable Melbourne weather can be . Drove down the Great Ocean Road (Biggest War Memorial in the world 243 Km long ) and up to Eden and came back over the mountains WoW. To quote the famous lines from General MacArther " I shall return"

I note you're walking the camino del Norde, Have you see Magwoods video of her walk last year and also wrote a daily dairy, they are both excellent. Im sure if you PM Magwood she would e mail them to you.

Carpe & Buen Camino

Raymond John

8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I wish you luck with your cotton Liner on The Camino Norte – You will however find that this is a Much quieter Camino than the Camino Frances and that the Refugio’s are often very simple and don’t all provide blankets – I Know I took my sleeping bag and used it many times

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Condor - I'm with Rob on this issue. I walked in May last year and was very glad to have had a 1-season sleeping bag. Even with a bag, I still took advantage of an albergue blanket from time to time if they were available. Although my bag may not compress down as much as the liner, thus taking up a bit more space, the weight at 1.1 pound was still significantly light enough to not risk being cold at night. Buen Camino!

10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

My wife and I walked our first Camino Frances in October, 2015. We brought 2 season down-filled sleeping bags that were lightweight and compressed down into a dry sack. We also brought a silk liner for both of us. There were many nights I laid on top of my sleeping bag and used the silk liner as a light top sheet. My wife tends to get cold easily, so most nights she snugged inside the down sleeping bag. We are hiking the camino frances again in September. I considered bringing a fleece sleep liner, but decided the few nights it gets cold will be worth bringing the sleeping bags again.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  11. Wily

I remember arriving in Pedrouzo after a long hard day walking in heavy rain. After a hot shower, hunkering down in my sleeping bag for some rest was just what the doctor ordered. I don't think a liner would have given me that same level of comfort or warmth. Even though it takes up a bit more space and may weigh a few ounces more, the potential benefits of the sleeping bag are well worth carrying it.

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  12. El Condor 2014

Hi @raymond john , glad you enjoyed the land of OZ.
    Yes, I have watch @Magwood videos and read her blogs What a trooper she is ! The video was magnificent.

raymond john likes this.
  13. El Condor 2014

Mmmmmm ! After reading some of the comments from my Camino friends forum @Wily and @RJS , I may have to rethink the sleeping bag v Liner dilemma.
    Great feed back guys, greatly appreciated !

Wily likes this.
  14. Onquest

Onquest New Member

I'm packing a light weight quilt that can velcro up the sides to become a sleeping bag, & a silk liner. I am bypassing the bug spray as I really question whether poisoning myself every night is preferable to being (possibly) bitten by an opportunistic bug. They say silk is a bug deterrent, anyway, so I am going hope that will work for me.

Wily likes this.
  15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem El Condor – Pleased to be of help :)

It’s now approaching 3 years since I walked the Camino Norte (From Santander, and longer than that since I walked the Irun to Santander section) so my “Best Advice” would be to contact Magwood and ask her opinion about taking a sleeping bag as her info will be a little more up to date than my own :)

Rob

16. Wily

Hey Onquest - I'm not sure it was really necessary, but I did spray my sleeping bag last year with Permethrin. To my knowledge, I didn't encounter any bed bugs. I also have to say that I didn't bump into any other pilgrims who had had a problem with them. So, by not treating your bag, my guess is that you'll be fine. More albergues seem to be giving out paper sheets and pillow cases to help minimize the potential bug problem. I have to say that I was a little more nervous about using blankets at the albergues not knowing how frequently they had been laundered. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  17. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

El Condor
    The best advise, go with your in-stinks and whats best for you. I use a silk liner and also take a cotton single bed sheet, they are light and easy to pack. As and when necessary use a blankets provided by the Albergue.

I'm getting ready to return to Spain in the last week of March. I'm a member of the CSJ working party who are going out to our Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal de Camino. Getting it ready to open to pilgrims on 1st April. Its hard work, but looking forward to seeing the locals. They are very supportive to us and make us feel very welcome.

I met some wonderful pilgrims from Oz when I was working as a hospitalero last year. Working as a a hositalero it like have a static Camino, watching & meeting the world that stop and or go by your door.
    The aim of the CSJ is to make all the pilgrims welcome

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

18. Mikamus

Mikamus New Member

Hello Kathy. My wife and I walked the Camino Frances and then on to Fistera and Muxia last Fall. In my opinion you should have a lightweight sleeping bag and a silk liner. You can lie on the bag on a "questionable" surface and the silk liner can be used to change in and is very comfy regardless. It also weighs next to nothing. About a month before you go, spray both and your empty back pack thoroughly in a well ventilated place and let dry thoroughly. Keep it well away from cats though dogs have no problem with it. Every study I've read say it's safe for dogs and humans. Should you use it? Yes, yes, and yes. Bed bugs sound kinda cute until you talk to the folks who's clothes became infested with them. They're hell to get rid of and you will be a pariah. And getting them once confers no resistance to getting them again! All it takes is one thoughtless (or clueless) carrier and to infest your albergue. Private albergues that cost a euro or two more rather than a cheaper municipal might also be a good idea - but always read up on places the day before you get there. Better safe than sorry! Buene Camino.

UnkleHammy, Wily and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  19. Wily

Hey Mikamus - Welcome to the Forum. Couldn't agree with you more on your point above. Spend a couple extra Euros to sleep in the private albergues. Keep in mind that the cost of the Camino is so low compared to any other travel that spending a bit more still means that you're not spending much. I, too, researched where I was staying and ultimately made reservations at private albergues that I liked. Not all albergues are equal! After a long day of walking, I preferred to have a choice as to where I stayed, so I had reservations. I was very happy that I did this if for no other reason than I didn't have to wonder if I had to go looking for a bed or not.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  20. Mikamus

Mikamus New Member

Of course, there are always exceptions! For example, the municipal albergue in Burgos. I found it well run, modern, and clean. You can't reserve ahead but it has one of the biggest capacities on the Camino Frances. Second or first(?) only to Roncesvalles. Also, re the Burgos municipal, you couldn't beat the location. Would love to go back to Burgos...

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  21. Wily

I had the good fortune to stay at the Albergue La Divina Pastora in Burgos. As with other church affiliated albergues that I found, no reservation was possible and the number of beds is very limited (16 beds, but with some overflow mattresses). Very inexpensive (5€) and the location, similar to the municipal, was right in the center of the city very close to the cathedral. I loved the nuns! Rule #1, take a shower! Plus, right around the corner was a place with great tapas and sangria! Life is good!

UnkleHammy likes this.