1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Phone Chargers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ginamarie, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Tina-Marie Brownie and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Ginmarie - I certainly like the idea of a solar phone charger. I carried a traditional lipstick sized charger with me that was only 3300mAh, but also just half the weight at 75g. Although it did the job for me, I like the idea that the one you found doesn't have to be recharged and that the capacity is even larger at 5000 mAh. The idea that it can just clip to your backpack is a real plus as well. At under $20, which is comparable to non-solar units, it's well worth the investment. Get it before your Camino and try it out at home first. The reviews seem generally good! If you're not satisfied with it, you can usually return them to Amazon. Buen Camino!

Gerry Vandermaat and Ginamarie like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have never tried on myself, but do see a lot of them, especially when trekking in Nepal :)

However, the difference in Nepal is that charging devices are problematic as there is limited mainline electricity (Sometimes none at all) and therefore a lot of pressure on the few charging points that are available and in addition, there is normally a fee to pay when using them.

As (In my own experiences) there have always been ample charging points for my devices on the Camino’s that I have been fortunate enough to walk and there has never been a fee to use them, so IF it were me, I don’t think I would bother buying a solar charger for Camino walking and even if I had one, I don’t think I would class it as an “Essential” when counting the grams keeping my pack weight down ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Ginamarie - I agree that a charger is not an "essential", but more a "helpful convenience." If you remember an earlier thread of this forum, there are a couple good reasons to take a charger, solar or otherwise, with you. First, you don't want to leave electronics unattended while recharging in an albergue. Carrying a 3-6 oz. charger far outweighs having an expensive phone or tablet stolen. If someone lifts your charger, that is far preferable to loosing a more valuable device. Second, with so many pilgrims now traveling with electronic devices, the competition for outlets at an albergue can be keen. From that perspective alone, I like the idea of the solar charger if it is a device that works efficiently recharging as you walk. You won't then have any issues leaving devices of any kind plugged in and problems that might arise from that. Although my charger wasn't quite as powerful as I would have liked, it only weighed 3 oz. and did the job it was intended to do. If you do try out the solar powered charger, please let us know how it worked.

5. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Good point Wily-thanks. When I return from Sept/Oct Camino I will post my 'review'!

Gerry Vandermaat, RJS and Wily like this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I look forwards to reading your 'review' on your return Ginamarie – Personally I can’t say that I have ever had any problems charging my electronics on Any of the Camino’s that I have walked so far and I don’t recall reading any threads about others having problems either, nor having their devices stolen from charging points.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

7. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Good to hear that Rob. Thank you for sharing your experience. Of course I am so nervous for my first Camino so trying to plan well! I appreciate your input.

Gina

Gerry Vandermaat and RJS like this.
  8. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Check out how the thing charges and how much time you need for the charge. I was looking at one but the solar unit at top performance only did a partial charge. And the weight of the connections and the unit get factored into your overall pack. I found it was my charging equipment that brought my weight up sometimes

RJS and Ginamarie like this.
  9. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    If there is a problem with getting access to power points then you will have the same problem trying to recharge the battery pack. -- so the solar powered recharger seems like a good idea. I had a friend with whom I recently walked the Aussie Camino and she had a solar powered charger and she swore by it. I will probably get one myself for general hikes when using the GPS on the phone. Cheers All :)

Wily likes this.