1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Thoughts On My Latest 5 Days On The Cf

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Greg Canning, Oct 2, 2017.

1. GERARD RYAN

GERARD RYAN New Member

2. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

I WONDER whether encounters like this have a two fold purpose to our Camino experience (my first Camino will be in May 20018, so, I am not claiming any actual Camino trail experience). Fact - We have all become judgmental in different areas of our life. That's how life and cultures shapes us. Most judgmental instincts/reactions are not in this particular situation, but I suspect encounters like this, helps awaken our consciousness on whether we are judgmental in other respects or recent events (e.g. how other nationalities/cultures act or behave that is different from our own). Another example, I read in another blog posting on a restaurant owner 'admonishing' a group who had placed their backpacks on un-occupied chairs. Culturally, the group perhaps expected the restaurant owner to 'kindly inform and request' that they do not do that (however, that assumes a certain proficiency in English on the owner's part). Perhaps they were not aware that previous pilgrims had put their dirty backpacks (after a walk through rain) and the owner had to clean the chairs. Or perhaps culturally, un-occupied seats can be occupied by other others (generally, small cafes tend to share tables). Net, I suspect encounters like this, could be prompts for us to be more self aware, not for this specific situation of pilgrims not carrying backpacks, but in other aspects of life and our Camino journey.

The second purpose is whether we can 'gently' help this judgmental peregrino develop a greater sensitivity to others that they meet. Can the Camino be one that we are being asked to extend beyond our personal zone and reach to others that are more 'difficult'? It's easy to help those in need and seeking help. But reaching those that do not seek help, or are not yet in that maturity stage, is a different under-taking. Thus, would a dialog such as, 'If we met a peregrino who was attempting to do the Camino on a wheelchair, would we expect this peregrino to also carry a backpack?' help the judgmental peregrino? The wheel chair is a visual handicap, but there are a whole host of un-seen handicaps that others are carrying (as mentioned, injured knees, heart conditions, cancer-remission, etc). Can the Camino teach us how to reach out and help others discover their own needed learnings?

My 2 cents of philosophy this morning. :)

Greg Canning likes this.