1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorting out searches

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Hobbler, May 11, 2013.

1. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

When I joined the forum there were many many things I needed information about and I quickly found that I had come to the right place. But I found that when I tried to get information on specific topics - e.g. backpacks, sleeping bags, bug repellents - by using the search facility, I was swamped with references to every post that contained the word I had entered. A great number of these were not really relevant because the word had occurred in just a passing reference and it could take a huge amount of time to wade through them all.

A large part of the problem is that people posting replies to a thread often introduce new topics and before you know it the discussion has strayed right away from the original topic.

What I'm wondering is can the search facility be tweaked so as to come up with threads that have the appropriate word as the subject in the title instead of finding every single occurrence of the word on the forum?

I'm not tech savvy enough to know if that's possible and it is for others to decide if it's a worthwhile idea anyway.

2. cw18

cw18 New Member

When you go into search (took me a while to find that as I've not used it before :rolleyes:) there's an 'advanced search' link

click on that, and on the next screen when you enter a value in the 'keyword' box change the drop down to the right of it to 'titles only'

3. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

cw18, thanks for your post. There is a search link at the top of this page - "Search Our Forums". When I enter a word in the "Type here" box a page opens with all the pages of posts where the keyword has occurred. I can see no 'advanced search' link. In fact when I entered 'advanced search' in the "Search Our Forums" box it came up with just one result, your post.

I'm either going blind or losing my marbles or both! Where on the page is the 'advanced search' link?

4. cw18

cw18 New Member

I never scroll that far up the screen, so hadn't seen the one you're using ;)

What I did was go into the forum I though was likely to be most appropriate (eg. 'Camino Frances') and once in there I spotted 'Forum Search' at the right hand side of the blue bar just above the first thread.

5. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Again thank you cw18. The way you describe worked perfectly. The advanced search option is not available in the one I was using. We live and learn.

So, my original query is really relevant only to the method I used.

Thanks again.

6. cw18

cw18 New Member

you're welcome :)