Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Starting April 1st weather

Discussion in 'The Weather' started by clairek, Mar 23, 2013.

1. clairek

clairek New Member

Heading from St Jean on April 1st. Would like to travel Napoleon route, is this possible, is there still snow on route?

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Yes, it's very possible. You'll want to check the weather report at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP the day you leave before you commit to the Route Napoleon.

3. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Hi

Apologies for double-posting but nobody seems to have picked up on this, I posted it on an old thread on this subject. I just came across a newspaper article about a pilgrim who was found dead in the mountains above Roncesvalle. Link to the article below (Google translated below that).

From the description it looks like he took the Route Napoleon despite there being a lot of snow recently. He was found 700m from the Pass at Loepoder near Ortzanzurieta, but they don't say if he was on the Camino route or if he'd wondered off it. Although from this map http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uQzYwMqWIUg/S-6lhEwYIyI/AAAAAAAAACc/sNZJ7ftz7Po/s1600/MAPA1ORTZANZURIETADEFINITIVO.jpg it looks like he'd gotten lost.

There's still quite a lot of snow in the area, spring is very late arriving across much of Europe. We have snow here in Ireland too. Se when you get to St Jean, whatever they advise you about weather conditions, heed them!

Very sad news.
    Gerald

http://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/20...oncesvalles-un-peregrino-brasileno-de-44-anos

PAMPLONA. Navarre Emergency Agency (NSA) has coordinated this evacuation Friday morning the body of a Brazilian pilgrim, 44, who lives in Canada, which has been found in Arrañosingo erreka (Arrañosin race), at a point in the altitude of 1080 meters and 700 meters distant from Lepoeder hill, through which passes the Camino de Santiago, near Mount Ortzanzurieta (Roncesvalles). Apparently, the pilgrim could off a cliff for several days. A backpack with his belongings was found a few meters up in the race itself.

A park ranger discovered the male body, which was unknown at first if he was alive or dead, and is advised, at 10.56 hours, the Emergency Management Center's 112-SOS Navarra.

Navarre Emergency Agency has coordinated a rescue device consisting of firefighters Burguete county park, a medical team from the health center of the town, police patrols and a helicopter Foral de Navarra government with members of the Special Rescue Group Mountain Intervention (GREIM) Civil Guard on board. They have also been prealertados volunteer firefighters Valcarlos Park, although not your intervention.

GREIM agents have been those who have found the body of pilgrims was lifeless and Burguete firefighters are responsible for rescue and evacuation of the corpse, which has been transferred to the Institute of Forensic Medicine Navarro to you autopsy is practiced. The Civil Guard performs crowded.g

4. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    I just came across a post on the Esprit du Chemin website about a group of Korean pilgrims who had to be rescued and who are each being fined €1,500 to cover the costs of their rescue - they'd ignored several warnings. It seems it's happening more and more often and the authorities are getting a bit fed up.

http://www.espritduchemin.org/en/node/208

Ger

5. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Clairek,
    Take heed of what is advised below by Husky and Gerald. I started out on the same day in 2009 and the weather was anything but pleasant for a lot of the early stages. Even the lower route on day one was snow covered and I would have been better at some points to have walked the road all of the way. Bring well insulated clothing layers and have good footwear. Most importantly, bring gloves. I did not and had one nasty experience in trying to re-tie my bootlace. It took me almost an hour to tie it, as my hand were frozen. I ended up wearing my spare socks on my hands. Be careful, heed local advice and enjoy your Camino. I will be 3 weeks behind you starting on April 25th.

Regards,
    Sean
    Dublin

6. clairek

clairek New Member

Thanks for all the advice, we will check in with the pilgrims office before starting and take their guidance. Buen Camino
    Claire

7. Gail Ozols

Gail Ozols New Member

So what is the weather averaging in Mid April into May? I will be planning my walk April 21, 2018, and going to mid-May? Is it still a lot of snow? What kind of clothes should I be looking at purchasing for this time of year?

8. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Gail - Welcome to the Forum. I walked last year starting April 29 through May. In general, the weather was excellent, but a bit of everything. The day I crossed the Pyrenees, it was as sunny and beautiful as one would ever hope for. The next day, pilgrims were crossing in a snow storm. The Pyrenees are unpredictable particularly in early spring so be prepared for anything although I didn't run into any snow. Expect some rain! We had a couple wet days between Roncesvalles and Pamplona and later in Galicia. Although we missed the rain in the Meseta, there was considerable mud to tromp through on one day. But, overall, across the month, the weather was warm and great for hiking.

Regarding clothes, I'd recommend being able to layer so items can be put on or come off easily. Morning will start off chilly, but then warm up nicely. If you go to my Camino Portugués blog below and look at my March 16 post, you'll find the packing list my wife and I put together. It's essentially the same as I used on the Francés. Rain gear is a must as well as good shoes. We walk now in the Merrell Moab GTX. Whatever you get, I would recommend that they be waterproof. A pair of gaiters will also help keep your feet dryer. Finally, as you don't need much on the Camino, keep the overall weight of your pack low. You'll see that our entire load was only 6.25 kg. It was delightfully light to carry.

Under the "What Equipment Should I Use or Take" section of this Forum, you'll find that Laurue Ferris has a couple excellent posts regarding items to take. Check those out.

Buen Camino!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    hindsfeet likes this.