1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting From Ayegui

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yolanda, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda New Member

I did one week Camino from SJPDP to Ayegui in 2108. For this year, I thought of starting from Ayegui to start my Camino. Is this advisable? What other possibilities exist to continue my walk?
    If I start from Ayegui, can you suggest how to get there? I will start from Lyon France.
    Many thanks for your help

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Yolanda and welcome to the forum :)

Although it’s a long time ago, when I walked my own Camino Frances, I also had to spilt it into two sections, I walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Fromista, then, 2 years later, I returned to Fromista and, first of all got a second stamp from the same Refugio I had stayed before in my credentials and continued my walk – This was so that I had continuity in my credentials and so that when they were inspected by the officials in the Camino Office in Santiago de Compostela, that I wouldn’t have any gaps :)

If you want to do the same then you could return to Estella which is only a couple of kilometres away from Ayegui, and pick up the trail where you left off !!

Or, of course, you could start again anywhere you liked, there would certainly be easier places to get to than Ayegui on the “Way” and you only have to walk the last 100k from Saria to qualify for your Compostela – It is entirely up to you, If it were me, I wouldn’t want any gaps in my route, but as we keep saying, “We all walk our own Camino’s”

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi, Yolanda - I'd probably get to Pamplona from Lyon and take one of the buses out of their very nice underground bus station. laestellesa.com is the site for the Pamplona-Estella-Logrono bus with a link for the schedule. It stops in Ayegui. The walk between Estella to Ayegui was nice and woodsy, though, so if you decided to start there and end in Los Arcos, that would make a good day also. It's not a difficult day in terms of hills or walking surface. Los Arcos wasn't easy to find lodging in when I've been through, so you might want to book at that particular town if you're ending there. I'm with Rob - do it continuously unless there's a particular part that you want to skip for some reason or if you are a more solo walker and don't care about running into people over and over again for friendship connections.

4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Yolanda - I, too, would do the CF continuously. Depending on the amount of time you have, continue your walk in chunks. Although there are great difference in the landscape across Spain, they’re all wonderful to pass through. I wouldn’t skip a single mile of it.

Although I had reservations in Los Arcos, friends of mine were able to walk into town and find beds. But, I’d follow C4S’s suggestion and book ahead. Just for your information, I reserved at Albergue Casa de la Abuela. An excellent spot for the night with a wonderful hospitalera/owner who made everyone feel at home. It’s also just around the corner from a number of good eateries and the central plaza where you can mix with a lot of fellow pilgrims. If you’re not familiar with Gronze.com, it will help you identify places to stay along the Camino. I made my reservation through a simple email that they promptly replied to. You’ll find their website and email address linked on Gronze. Buen Camino!

5. Yolanda

Yolanda New Member

Thank you, Rob. I really wanted to start where I left off, so I am already looking for possibilities to reach Estella from Lyon. I saw that flight to Biarritz from Lyon France, then bus to Pamplona then bus to Estella could be used. It is almost a day's trip, though.
    Thanks again, Yolanda

RJS likes this.
  6. Yolanda

Yolanda New Member

Dear Crepes4Suzette, Great advise, thanks. I will do that. Now, I am getting excited to prepare for this trip. I can only spare one week per year for my Camino, but i will surely get there. Thanks for this forum and for Caminantes like you who are willing to help newbies like me.
    Cheers,
    Yolanda

RJS, Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. Yolanda

Yolanda New Member

Another great tip, Wily, Thanks a lot!
    Yolanda