1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting In Pamplona?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Michael, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Having completed my first Camino last October I now feel a desire to start again! I intend to commence in early May and due to various circumstances I would like to start in Pamplona.
    Is it possible to pick up a credencial in Pamplona?
    If so, from where?
    Many thanks
    Michael

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi Michael - Yes, you can get them at the cathedral in Pamplona. Here's a link in English:
    http://www.catedraldepamplona.com/en/el-camino-de-santiago/

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  3. Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson New Member

Help,
    I want to start my journey the last week of April from St Jean, If I fly into Paris how do I get there? Secondly, where would it be best to fly back from after reaching Santiago. I see people talking about credentials, what are they?

Thanks
    Mike

4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Taking the train is probably the best, but there are some train strikes planned for the next few months. There is an item about the strikes in "General Chat".

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Mike, they're just booklets for getting ink-stamps as you go along. They serve a few purposes. 1.) They identify you as someone doing the Camino and therefore entitled to make use of the pilgrim-specific lodging 2.) when you get to Santiago, they're a record of where you've been so the office where you get your Compostela (the certification paper that you've completed at least the last 100K of one of the Caminos) can verify that you've done the route by the stamps you've gotten along the way at lodging, cafes, churches, stores, etc. and 3.) they're nice souvenirs.

Some get them from the online store (Casa Ivar) on the "main site". Some get them from the Confraternities of St. James from different countries. Some get them from APOC (American Pilgrims on Camino). Some pick them up when they arrive in the major Cathedrals on the way and other places.

I order two for longer Caminos to be sure to have enough stamp-spaces. Then I carry them in a plastic baggie to protect them.

This year I'm starting the Le Puy and so flying into Paris also (see Uncle Hammy's message about the transport strikes). For St. Jean Pied-de-Port, you can sometimes get a train with connections out of Charles de Gaulle, but a good way to do it is to get to central Paris on the RER-B (suburban rail that runs right through central Paris and connects the 2 main airports) or take the shuttle buses (Orlybus or Roissybus). Then get to Gare Montparnasse 1&2 and take a train down to Bayonne. Then from Bayonne connect to a smaller regional train to St. Jean Pied-de-Port. SNCF.com will let you buy your tickets online, but as a word of caution, get them as e-tickets instead of having them mailed. Some fly into Biarritz also, and then take transport to Bayonne. There's also a service called "Express Bourricot" out of St. Jean Pied-de-Port that will do a group van transport between Bayonne and St. Jean. And sometimes people do taxi-shares also from Bayonne to St. Jean.

Happy planning!

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  6. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

I started in Pamplona a couple of years ago, came by train from Barcelona.
    No problem getting the credencial there. You should find it in any Pilgrim Hostel. I think I picked up mine in a Pilgrim shop in the center.
    Buon Camino!