1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting in September:

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Immanentized5, May 5, 2012.

1. Immanentized5

Immanentized5 New Member

Home Page:
    Hey folks, I am a 31 y/o American male planning on starting in early September after one of my duties for work wraps up at the end of the summer.

I have substantial outdoor and backpacking experience, but my longest wilderness trips have been in the 15-18 day range; I imagine that carrying so little and having so many amenities and people available will be a whole new adventure!

Mainly I'm looking to make some early connections with Peregrinos who will be hiking around that time, my goal is to finish in 35 or so days but I will also have a fairly loose schedule. I'm a devoted, nonjudgmental Catholic and definitely intending to reap all the benefits of a real pilgrimage.

Buen Camino!

Robert

2. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Robert,
    I am starting on Sept 1st. and hoping to do in a similar time. I am excited but a little nervous as well. I have never done anything as long or on my own before, but looking forward to the challenge.

Dolmac.

3. Immanentized5

Immanentized5 New Member

Home Page:
    Good deal, I'm hoping there will be plenty of folks around in the fall!

4. BlackDog

BlackDog Member

I'm leaving SJPdP on 8th September so our paths may cross.

5. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

I'm starting my journey 8/30 from Pamplona, allowing 37 days to reach Santiago. I'm sure we will meet somewhere. Buen Camino.

6. charleser

charleser New Member

Buen Camino Robert.
    This is not exactly in response to your post but i am wondering if it is realistic to begin from Pamploma in December?
    You are beginning late September, still great weather i imagine.
    Anyone out there who knows about December starts let me know.
    Thanks and Buen Camino!

7. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Dollmac - I'm flying from Dublin to Biarritz on Friday the 31st August with a Sept 1st start (just booked it a few mins ago!) so I might meet ya along the way. I'm starting a little earlier than anticipated but the flights I wanted were booked out on the following weekend - these things happen for a reason!) I'm very inexperienced with hillwalking or walking these kinds of distances so I'm feeling a bit nervous too to be honest! Also very unfit at the moment so I've worked out a training programme for myself to at least get myself up to reasonable fitness levels before I start! I just hope I stick with it as the more I do now the less pain on the journey :)

How long is everyone allowing to do the full trip (to Santiago)?? I realise it all depends on mileage covered but it would be great to get an idea of what's realistic - I have to ask for additional leave from work yet so just want to make sure I ask for enough :) I'm also considering continuing on to the sea (name of place escapes me at the moment) - how long would I need to allow for that???

Also the eternal question of BOOTS and BACKPACKS and gear in general - I'm based in Cork City (south coast of ireland) - can anyone living in Ireland recommend where to get my gear from seeing as its recommended to try on copious amounts of bags and boots to find the right one? :) I'd be willing to travel to Dublin if needs be. Had a look in 53 degrees north and they have Deuter mainly and a reasonable selection of boots. Have not managed to locate Osprey backpacks yet. Will try Mahers Outdoor shop next weekend. Any tips on anywhere else to look welcome :) BTW, I see that OMM (ultralight backpacks) do not seem to have an Irish stockist? Is it worth risking buying one online without trying it on? TIPS and ADVICE welcome :)

Eilish

8. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Eilish

Looks like we are going to be on same flight :) I am allowing 33 days walking and an extra 2 for rest days to get to Santiago. I walk a lot and know that I can cope with that. I have another 3 days planned for to stay in Santiago so if i need an extra day along the way it wont be a problem. Look for Camino de Santiago by John Brierley. It is a great little book, and will help you plan your camino. I think Finisterre is another 87 km so that will be another 3 to 4 days walking from Santiago!!!

53 Degrees North has a good selection of boots. They stock scarpa and I really like them. Do try and get them soon and wear them in sept 1st is not that far away. I think they stock north face backpacks too. The most important thing is to try things on to be sure they suit and are comfortable. I am sure there must be good outdoor stores in Cork. I know that there is low alpine in the Killarney outlet which would be nearer than Dublin for you. Make sure to get some good socks as well.

It might be a good idea to join up with a hill waling club too. That way you will get in some good walks on hills and some distance as well. Build up your walking gradually, don't overdo it, you will enjoy it much more.

GET YOUR BOOTS AND START WALKING :) we only have 15 weeks and 5 days to go.

Buen Camino
    Dolores.

Dolores

9. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Dolores - thanks for the advice.... ;)

10. nathan

nathan New Member

boots and packs are important, but do not stress over it too much. The brand mentioned further along in this thread are excellant(scarpa),as long as they fit you well they "bed in" quickly. Wear them on your journey to work and as slippers round the house for a week should suffice.
    I love my OMM 32(500grms)...be aware that it is a no compramise pack.It is for runners primarily and had no air flow tech etc. That said it is so light and room that you almost forget you have it on.
    Fitness is relative...and desire to walk is more important. You will walk approx 15 miles a day...and get fitter eachn week...trust your body to adapt
    On a personal note my only prep for this summer has been to get a st james cross tatoo...i trust in god more than equipment or myself

peace and love

11. Otmoor

Otmoor Guest

I will be starting from St Jean on 1st September and look forward to meeting our friends from Ireland. I am from Oxford, England and a mere boy of 69 but as excited as a 19 year old! I have already bought enough kit for four caminos and my standing with my wife is at an all time low.
    Nigel

12. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Welcome to the club Nigel. You are in good company.

13. kkelley

kkelley Member

Sounds like we are about to become a merry band of misfits on September 1st! I look forward to meeting you Nigel.

kk

14. kkelley

kkelley Member

Nigel, be sure to add your name to the calendar. So far it looks like at least 7 or so from this forum are starting on the 1st. From the forum posts, I feel like I already know some of them and look forward to a face to face meeting. I think we will all be so giddy with excitement on August 31 in SJPdP!
    kk

15. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

I'm one of the motley 1st of September-ers! See you then Nigel!

16. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

By the way... would anyone know if 700g is considered light for a sleeping bag? Just bought a mummy style bag from Aldi for around 15 euro! Bargain! Probably useless warmth wise but I will try it out at home tonight to see if its any good at all.

17. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Eilish,
    I bought one today, it is a liner and it weighs more than yours!!! mine is 900g. I got it in Kildare Village in the North face store reduced from 106 to 46 so I am well pleased with it and it is very warm. Got a really nice blue long sleeved technical top (so cosy) reduced from 65 to 20 in Tog 24. Have everything now ready and rearing to go now... Going to pack it all tomorrow and hope I can fit it all into the 35 lt bag fingers crossed

18. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

That's great Dolores - you are all set! Ok my sleeping bag mustn't be too heavy by normal standards then ;-) Good stuff - will check it out for size and comfort (usually prefer the square end sleeping bags not mummy style so this could get interesting! ha ha)... Can't wait to meet you and everyone else! Off to Kerry Sunday for another walk. Happy training! :-D x

19. lefox

lefox New Member

I'm thinking about also starting on Sept 1st, am I crazy to begin planning/preparations only 2 months in advance? I'm fairly fit, I just need to purchase the right footwear and break them in, and work on the rucksack situation. But aside from that, is there really much more planning needed??

Would love to join the small group from here going..

20. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hey everyone!

So how are my fellow September pilgrims getting on with training and other preparations? :D

Eilish

21. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

-------------------

Hi lefox

Welcome to this merry band of misfits! ;-) There are a good few of us leaving SJPdeP on Sept 1st so I'm sure you are welcome to fall in with us if you bump into us at the start or along the Way :) I'm planning to stay in Orisson on the first night (roughly about a 3rd of the way to Roncesvalles) and kkelley has booked in there as well I believe. Not sure if anyone else leaving on the 1st Sept has but I am sure there will be others! If you decide to stay there you will need to book well in advance as I believe they have relatively limited places....

I'm not experienced with distance walking and have never walked the Camino (so maybe one of the others may be better placed to answer your questions) but if you are already fit and put in good walking mileage between now and then you should be ok. However, based on advice I have being given from experienced camino-ists, I would suggest you spend as much time walking in your boots/gear with a loaded backpack between now and Sept. There are only about 8 weeks left between now and the 1st Sept! A friend who has walked sections of the Camino before advised it isn't all about how fit you are... you need to get your feet and body used to walking on for up to 8 hours per day.... the only way to do that is to build up your time walking between now and then.... as regularly as possible. I would suggest you try to fit in long walks at weekends (or whenever it is you have a day or two to spare per week) as well as shorter walks most evenings). Don't forget to build up your hill fitness too (your muscles will thank you in September!) ;-) ... That's pretty much what I am doing... I'm sure others may have other advice for you. I started out training about 6 weeks ago (I was pretty unfit!). I am now doing 4.5 to 5 hour walks at weekends with shorter walks during the week and will keep increasing this week by week. I am sure others on this forum are probably much fitter than I am and doing much more than me but I am happy with the progress I have made so far :)

Best of luck with your preparations! Let us know what you decide... See you in September hopefully!

Eilish

22. kkelley

kkelley Member

Come on lefox, let's walk! You sound like you can handle it, you've got age and fitness on your side -maybe much more so than the rest of us. I'm about twice your age and go back and forth between being excited/rareing to go and wondering "what the hell was I thinking". But I'm going and I'm planning to finish this no matter what it takes and, I'm going to love every minute. I may cry but I'm going to love it!

I've read posts from many of the September 1st'ers and feel like I already have a group that I can count on. We'll start together and may or may not finish together but I know we'll all support each other. So jump in with both feet. I can commit to helping you - I don't have the experience to be a Camino grandfather but I sure can look out for you! Tell your mom you are in good company.

Kaye

23. kkelley

kkelley Member

Hey Eilish,

Still training, still battling blisters on my feet. The heat here is making it tough but I'm getting up at 4:30 am and starting my walks in the dark to avoid as much of the heat as possible - we've had a long stretch of 100+ degree days and the humidity is awful. I can do 5-7 miles with no probem but the feet start aching after that. The good news is that the aches used to kick in around 5 miles so I'm progressing. I did 10 miles on Saturday but it was painful at the end.

How are you doing?

Your Texan word for the day is YEEHAW - If you're southern, got a little redneck in you or you're happy you can say YEEHAW! (Let me know if I need to define redneck for you but basically I try to be a happy, southern, and only a little bit redneck)

So YEEHAW Eilish!

Kaye

24. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Ha ha Kaye :)

That made me laugh out loud - yeeeeeeehaaaaaaawwwwww!!! You'll have us fluent in Texan and redneck by the end of the first week ;-) I seriously can't wait to meet you and the rest of the gang :)

Training wise I did a 4.5+ hour walk on Sunday and was tired but happy at the end of it - I'm building up my walking time/distance week on week so I aim to be able to do 8 hour walks by the end of it...and hills(!) My main challenge will be the hills so hopefully my hill fitness will improve in the next couple of months. I don't have the heat to contend with like you do so maybe you should see it as perfect training conditions!! i.e. it can't get any tougher and by the time you get there you will be able to deal with any heat/humidiity while us poor souls from more temperate climates may be melting like a hot puddle! ;-) Blister wise is it your boots or socks causing the problem? Apparently rubbing Vaseline or Sudocream on your feet can help..... I have Berghaus Explorer Trails Lights and they have served me well so far.... (fingers crossed and all that)... :)

@Lefox - seriously you are welcome to fall in with us if you decide to come in September! Even if we only end up walking together some of the time depending on our daily distances and pace we'll all be looking out for each other and supporting each other along the way :)

The great news is that I have FINALLY gotten the official nod from work that I can take just the 6 weeks off from work :) Is anyone else going from being extremely excited to thinking "what on earth was I thinking!!!" when you realise the countdown is on with only 8 weeks left to go... or is it just me???? ;-) haha

Eilish

25. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

That should read "just OVER 6 weeks off work" (not "just the 6 weeks off from work") :)

26. Rachael Luba

Rachael Luba Guest

Hello fellow Peregrinos!

I too am planning to start (from Roncevalles) on 1 September. I'm only planning to walk as far as Logrono this time around, with a view to returning to complete at a later date. But perhaps I'll meet a few of you along the way?

Taking my time and no massive hikes for me, I'd also appreciate any advice I can get re having a suitcase sent from Roncevalles to Bilbao securely to meet me at the end of my hike. Does anyone have experience of this?

Looking forward to hearing from you and perhaps sharing a story and a glass of Rioja along the way :).

Hasta luego,
    Red

27. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Helloooooo...there fellow September Pilgrims,

It's good to hear what others are saying about their training. I walked 5miles last Saturday and 12miles on Sunday. Unfortunately I live in a very flat area and I struggle up hills because of my asthma but hey I have my poles! The other thing I noticed is that my trusty old walking shoes are wearing out on the lining on the inside Doh! Although this hasn't yet caused me any discomfort I am toying with the idea of getting some new footwear now so I can break them in.

I'm starting to get quite nervous about the journey to SJPDP not helped by everyone I know telling me how brave I am??!!! I hadn't really thought of that.... why do I need to be brave? eeek...

I looking forward to meeting you all very soon,

Moo :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  28. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Hi Kaye,

I am sure I will cry too.... a lot! but I know I will look back at the whole experience and feel proud of myself :) ...

I am already feeling proud of the fact I have managed to save most of the money I need for the trip, I am on a very tight budget and have sold lots of stuff, but who needs material things???

Moo

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  29. zngsj

zngsj New Member

I leave Wisconsin Thurs Sept 6th, arrive in SJPdP Sat Sept 8th and start el camino on Sunday Sept 9th.

30. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Red :)

Looking forward to meeting you along the way :) Luggage wise - as far as I know it is possible - I think there are posts/threads dealing with this on the forum .... (no direct experience of it myself) ... http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/forum/general-chat/900-forwarding-extra-luggage.html

Eilish :)