Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Starting Le Puy 4th Sept 2012

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Tortoise, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tortoise

Tortoise New Member

I have now decided to walk the Chemin/Camino from Le Puy to Santiago on Sept 4th. I fly in to CDG Paris on the 4th September. I have a number of questions which I would be grateful if anyone can answer or give me links.

Am I better off bringing a cheap nokia mobile phone from Australia, and the buy a sim card in France and Spain. I will just need it for texting and the occasional call to book accomodation, phone home etc.
    Or should I buy a phone in France?

Is it possible to get from CDG Paris Train Station to Le Puy in time to book accomodation. I arrive in CDG Paris at 10.30 am.

Any suggestions on accommodation in Le Puy for a day or two to get myself organised.

Good wishes and God Bless to all other Pilgrims and Walkers.

Michael

2. crashwest2830

crashwest2830 New Member

Don't know about the 'phone. My wife is about to head to Europe with friends and she bought a 'phone off the internet which has a UK phone number and SIM. Her friend bought a cheap mobile from Office Works and she will get a SIM over there. She says there is n't a lot of difference in price.

In terms of getting to Le Puy, the Air France bus (ligne 4)will take you to Gare de Lyon from where you can get a train to Le Puy. My friend and I arrive too late to get the train to Le Puy so we are having a night in Paris before heading down the next day.

Good luck with your Camino. I walked from St Jean to Finisterre last year and it was a wonderful experience. Difficult in parts but met a lot of great people and it was the best way to see the country.

3. Tortoise

Tortoise New Member

Thanks crashwest2830. I'll probably buy my phone here in Australia and get a sim card in France and Spain. I had planned to get a train from CDG Airport to Le Puy. Is it better to go in to Gare de Lyon. I arrive at CDG at 9.40 am. Terminal 2. Thanks for the reply again. Tortoise, Townsville.

4. crashwest2830

crashwest2830 New Member

I did some research on sim cards last year and found that Lebara is very good for Spain - don't know for France.

This is the first time that I will have travelled from Paris to Le Puy. From what I have read, plenty of people travel from CDG to Le Puy. I just googled "paris cog to Le puy en delay" and it came up with a timetable. Just leave yourself enough time to get through customs and make the station.
    Have a great time. As you will be leaving on the adventure before i do, it will be good to hear how you go. We have set ourselves about 28 days to walk from Le Puy to St Jean. We don't have any rest days. If we fall behind we will get a bus for half an hour. They say that getting a bus for 20 mins is the equivalent of walking for a day.

5. Tortoise

Tortoise New Member

I will not be rushing so you will surely catch up with me. Thanks for the info.

6. ornarywomn@msn.com

ornarywomn@msn.com New Member

I will be doing the Le Puy to Muxia starting in Mid March, Do any of you starting next month have a blog I can follow I would love to see how your walk is going.

7. grayland

grayland Member

I used a Lebara SIM on the LePuy route in April of this year. It was terrible. I would not recommend using this card. No SERVICE most of the time.
    I am pretty experienced in using SIMs in Europe so don't think it was me.

I have used Lebara on the Camino Frances in Spain a couple of times and it worked ok there. Very cheap compared to others....but in France it was almost worthless. No Service most of the way and very frustrating as all around me had service.

8. Tortoise

Tortoise New Member

I think I will try and get an Orange sim card. My flights have changed so I will not be able to fly in to CDG and get to Le Puy, on the 4th.

So I will stay in Paris the 4th and leave from Gare de Lyon on the 5th. for Le Puy.

I will try and get an Orange sim in Paris, or Le Puy.

I have decided to just go with the flow, and relax in to the journey, as the pilgrims of old did without sim cards anyway, or maybe buy a pigeon !!

Thanks Grayland for the advice re Lebara.

9. MJB

MJB Guest

Dear Tortoise,
    I am planning to walk from Le Puy to Santiago this fall, leaving ~August 27. How was your Camino last year? How long did it take you? How did you get to Le Puy from CDG, and was it easy? Any advise you can give me for the French portion? Last year I walked from SJPP to Santiago.
    Any thoughts or memories shared would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks, Mary

10. Tortoise

Tortoise New Member

Firstly may I say that I am very jealous of your intended trip !!. For me the Chemin from Le Puy to Moissac was the best vacation I ever had.
    The Chemin between those two points is not easy. Much of the route is up and down and shared with French hikers criss-crossing a very popular Autumn walking area.
    I was very unfit at the beginning, did 10-15k a day for the first week, then gradually increased.
    the French part of the Chemin is very very hilly between Le Puy and Moissac .I took a train from Cahors to Moissac and from there to SJPDP. then I walked to Santiago.
    The French part of the walk was more enjoyable, for me, perhaps it was the Autumn as I finished in SDP in snow.
    I found the French people very friendly, more so than the Spanish, try to speak French, and they will be very friendly. I used google translate on my Samsung.
    Many places have free wifi and I used Skype to phone home to Australia, and also Telecom France phonecards, available at cafes and tabacs can be used in any public phone box. I ended up not getting a sim card.
    Highlights for me were many. Le Puy, Conques and Cahors, and are not to be missed.
    I found Estaing a bit unfriendly and would never ever stay there again. Maybe I was grumpy that day.
    Please ask about anything or anywhere further.
    I will do Le Puy to SJPDP again, and hopefully walk it all. Probably not the Spanish side again.
    It is possible to get from CDG to Le Puy in one day, I chose to spend 2 days in Paris.
    Just google CDG to Le Puy and it should tell you which metro, train stations to get.
    If you are stuck, post again and I'll search my folders and get the info for you.
    My main advice is SPEAK FRENCH. It is a beautiful language and after the first week I was tolerably able to conduct a conversation to get food, accomodation and directions.
    The time it took me is not relevant to you, as we all take our own time.
    I met one guy who planned to do LP to SD in 37 days. I took 3 months and dilly dallyed on the way.
    I met some great people along the way.
    Any more Q's, let me know.

Michael

11. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I suggest getting the Mien Mien Dodo before you go, it lists all the gites. We could not have done without it.

I must have been grumpy that day also.