1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting On 21st September 2016

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by LesBrass, Feb 27, 2016.

1. LesBrass

LesBrass New Member

Hello pilgrims

So I was going to walk the Camino Francis again in September... and then I was going to walk the Camino Del Norte... but my heart has always been drawn to the Via de la Plata. However, I'm a bit of a scardy cat and I just felt that I couldn't ever walk this route alone.

Yesterday a friend said she'd walk with me - YIPPEE! So I am so happy to report that I've booked my flight and I arrive in Seville on the 20th September and I'll start walking on the 21st.

My friend is 95% sure she'll come but either way I'm committed... so I really hope I meet a few other pilgrims along with way!

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    You have chosen a wonderful route and although it is just over 10 years since I walked The Via de la Plata myself, I still have some fantastic memories.

The early stages of the route were quite quiet when I walk it, but there were still a few Peregrino’s around to keep me company, so you won’t be entirely alone – But things busy up as you head north – I chose the Orense Variant which branches left at Granja de Moreruela and would highly recommend that you also choose this route as opposed to keeping north and then picking up The Camino Frances – The scenery is stunning and why walk the same “Way” twice !!??
    You might find http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/3df43/d/#memberreviews=page1 useful as it shows how we chose to split the 1,000k route into walkable sections and take advantage of the Peregrino accommodation available (However, I am sure that there will be more places now available)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

LesBrass likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    That is great, keep us posted on how you get on with planning - and maybe when walking.

4. LesBrass

LesBrass New Member

I will do! All I have at the moment is the flight booked and an idea for the first two nights. I've bought a couple of books that I'm going to read... and lots of blogs (including that of @RJS now )

I'll keep you posted! :D

5. I plan to start walking the Camino around Sept. 20-21, so perhaps I'll see you along The Way. I'm an American and will be 64 when I start out from St. Jean Pied de Port. Buen Camino!
    Chris

LesBrass likes this.
  6. mike

mike New Member

Hi
    I am starting another Camino from Porto on the 10th of September. This will be my fourth year, on Camino the last three on Camino Francis so wanted a change this year. Another change for me is that I have always started on my own and met many great people along the route. However this year I am meeting up In Porto with two friends I met last year David from Belgium and Toby from Germany. I still hope to meet many other nice people en route though. I am really looking forward to it again, I have definitely become a Camino adict. I will be 67 years old when I start this year and hope do do this every year as long as I am able.

LesBrass likes this.
  7. Lesley keft

Lesley keft New Member

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum , I'm planning to walk the Camino France's start of September , Im allowing 5 weeks off work to enjoy my journey across Spain . I'm an Australian and Will be traveling solo. a little nervous and excited at the same time .

8. Molly Orr

Molly Orr New Member

9. Molly Orr

Molly Orr New Member

Hi Mike
    4 Caminos! Oh wow!
    My camino seed was sown about 10 years ago but I carefully kept it from germinating until about a year ago. Am now ready, mostly in my head, still working on the body(!!).
    Have booked my flights from South Africa via Madrid, for September this year and hope to start my first Camino in Porto around the 5th - on my own....sometimes daunting but mostly exciting!
    Am avidly reading packing lists, footcare tips, route comments and enjoying the stories shared by seasoned and novice Pilgrims. Meanwhile racking up the kms.
    Buon Camino!
    Molly

Woodchild and LesBrass like this.
  10. LesBrass

LesBrass New Member

Hello folks - I'm still absorbing everything I can find on the VdlP :D

@mike and @Molly Orr - I may well follow you on the Portuguese route next year. We've just come back from a holiday in Lisbon and I've fallen for the city and Portugal... as has my husband. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

@Christopher Miller - sadly our paths wont cross as I'm starting from Seville... but the Camino Frances is amazing and you and @Lesley keft are going to have an amazing time!

Lesley keft likes this.
  11. Kennyt

Kennyt New Member

good for you hope you enjoy the walk....

LesBrass likes this.
  12. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Hi Molly
    I will be starting around 7th September. My first Camino and I am excited and scared! (One of my reasons for doing it is to face my fears and do it anyway). Perhaps we will meet on the way, but Buen Camino in any case!
    I plan to get a cab from Biarritz to sjpp on 6th and hope to find others to share it.
    eek! Getting real now.
    Armorel

LesBrass likes this.
  13. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

Hi Lesley- My wife and I did the Camino Sept last year, and we both loved it, every step. I still have such vivid memories, and I hope you experience the same. You will meet such great people! Enjoy.

Lesley keft likes this.
  14. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Leslie Im sure you will not be walking solo for very long , unless its by choice.. You will meet pilgrims form all over the world and the friendship and camaraderie will be exemplar. At times when you may feel nervous, just ask a fellow or group of pilgrims if you could walk with them Don't be surprised at the warm & friendly welcome you will receive . Its all part of the camino experience.

Im going to work as a volunteer Hospitalero at the CSJ Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal de Camino between 15th Sept- 1st Oct, please stop and say Hola.

Buen Camino
    Raymond John

eap and Lesley keft like this.
  15. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

16. Lesley keft

Lesley keft New Member

Looking forward to meeting new friends and I will call to say hi for sure Raymond

17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  18. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Hi Lesley I'm starting my walk late august and taking the five weeks as you say a little nervous and exiting and the same time. The bananas are a give away that I'm an Aussie.

Woodchild and Lesley keft like this.
  19. Lesley keft

Lesley keft New Member

Hi Dan are you walking Solo ? Have you walked it before . I'm so excited a while to go till sept but I'm sure it will come around quick .

Woodchild likes this.
  20. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Hi Lesley , yes doing it solo. And yes first time. It would appear that there will be plenty of company for walking.
    Getting the training up to speed now and trying to learn the language. I think I will have the basics but not speaking it on a daily basis makes it hard.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

21. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hola Les Brass,
    I am also going to start my the Via De La Plata in September 2018. How did it go for you? Any advice? Which guide did you use? How was the weather?
    Gracias,
    Dominick