1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting the Routa Plata in Mid March . . . thoughts. . .drawbacks. . . suggestions

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by cwark, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cwark

cwark New Member

I am planning to start the Camino Plata in mid to late March. . need to finish by May 7th give or take, would like to hear suggestions, advantages/disadvantages, expected traffic (will it be crowed ?), suggestions, whether to go North or through Orense for example. . . Did the Camino Frances in 2003. . . yes I am a geezer. . .

2. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

Good time of year to do it,not too hot in Andalusia and an abundance of wild flowers all the way.My personal choice would be Orense, and miss the Frances and the hordes,but maybe you like hordes ? I recently read a blog of a Canadian that did the VDLP this year, i shall endeavor to find the link and send it to you. From what i can gather,the VDLP is not busy at any time,but is gaining popularity. It isalso being promoted by the confraternity of ST James as THE alternative to the Frances. Anyway "geezer",all the best and good luck. I hope it comes together for you. Martin

3. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

Here you go matey,have a butchers at this http://caminotime.ca this is the fellas blog.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  4. cwark

cwark New Member

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for. The above URL doesn't bring anything up. Did you mean caminotime.blogspot.com? It has many blogs- which one specifically. Thanks!

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When I walked the Via de la Plata I set off on April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] (April Fool’s Day) and walked into Santiago de Compostela on Friday 13[SUP]th[/SUP] May – Two Auspicious dates ;-)
    Overall the weather was Good – The worst of it being in Galicia with quite a lot of rain – But at least it was warm rain !!
    It was 10 years ago and at that time very few other Peregrino’s were walking the early stages, but once we started getting closer to Galicia the numbers picked up
    There is a full write-up in the link in my tagline including how we split the route up into manageable stages and reviews on where we stayed If you care to take a look
    Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

6. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

Sorry,it is caminotime.blogspot.ca (th author/walker has ca at the end of the adress) the article is entitled "Walking the via de la plata" ALTERNATIVELY go to a website called littlegreentracks.typepad.com and look around for it on there. The blogger calls himself JJ.
    Sorry i cannot be more helpful,i don´t know much about online and such stuff.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  7. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

My trip on the Via de la Plata (via de Sanabres) was May-June starting in Salamanca - GREAT. Met lots of great people along the way, had good weather (overall), good food, and a spiritual journey. Madrid was really fun at the end as was Santiago de Compestela. Thirty days walking averaging about 17 miles per day... total miles about 500

Went to Muxia and Finistere after Santiago.... then had a few days so did the Camino Ingles...!!

Anyone have questions...just give me holler. There are some problems along the route de Mozarabe due to lots of construction.

Thanks to everyone on the forum (especially this link) for all your advise and encouragement.

8. Me Fein

Me Fein New Member

This year I walked the Via de la Plata. I started in Seville April 1st and arrived in Santiago May 11th and then I walked to Muxia. You will easily get to Santiago by the 7th if you start mid to late March. We got all kinds of weather hot, cold, windy but very little rain - day 2 + 3 and a half day later on. Hard at times but I met wonderful people. I would recommend going through Ourense ( bring a swimsuit great thermal bath there)Also got to see Santa Semana cermonies in towns, cities and villages. On the whole I found it well marked even through the Ave construction.Enjoy every minute and Buen Camino

9. Dave Murray

Dave Murray New Member

Hi, I am doing the Via de la Plata for one week each year. late March should be mice, but not hot. Personally, I like the heat as it is kinder to the joints than the cold. Crowded? Definitely not. I have come across a handfull of Pilgrims each day and sometimes none at all. I go back in May to continue for another week. I would love to do the whole thing start to finish and I will some day........when I retire.
    Dave, Cork

Leslie likes this.
  10. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Dominick likes this.
  11. John Fischer

John Fischer New Member

Hello. I'm thinking of doing the VDLP in the spring next year. I've been following the route on google earth and most of it appears to be walking along roads. I'm not really crazy about walking along roads and prefer gravel trails. So how much of this route is roads? Thanks

12. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi John
    I didn’t find that there was any more road walking on the Via de la Plata than most of the other Camino’s that I have walked. Yes, there is some, particularly when you are approaching / leaving towns, but much of the rest of the route is on dirt tracks.

http://www.santiago-compostela.net/vdlp/en_cv01.html is a useful website where you can see what sort of path you are walking on each day by hitting the numbers on the tab – This will probably give you a much better idea of the actual trail rather than Google Earth

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob