Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Status Of Cathedral Renovations?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tom V, May 23, 2017.

1. Tom V

Tom V Member

I was curious as to the status of the renovations of the Cathedral in Santiago. I was there in June of 2015 and there was a lot of scaffolding. I'm doing my second Camino in September and am hoping that most of the renovation is now complete.

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Tom - I was in Santiago just last month. The renovations as you'll see from the photo below are far from over on the western facade of the cathedral. In fact, there appears to be more scaffolding there now than I remember from a year ago. This also closes off the front entrance not making it possible to see the Pórtico da Gloria. Nonetheless, this doesn't take away from the beauty you find inside the cathedral nor the emotions evoked by the Pilgrim's Mass. However, it might be possible to tour the interior part under construction from what I could tell. Once inside, I'd suggest asking about that. Buen Camino!

IMG_0592.JPG

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Progress is indeed slow, but at least you can see both towers now, so an improvement on 3 years ago :)

IMG_2915.JPG

4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

wow, that's quite the undertaking.......keeping the cathedral renovated. Ok, let's wrap it up
    before April 2018!!! (sorry, so selfish)

5. Tom V

Tom V Member

Thanks so much for the update. I'm headed back for my second Camino in September. So excited!

6. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Those look like two happy guys, Rob:0))

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  7. Crepes4Suzette

Hey, Hindsfeet! I deleted that blog because I had to come home from Madrid after being stranded there without access to my money by my bank (despite doing everything correctly re: giving the bank my itinerary and doing as have done for decades with the money aspects of international travel). Going back June 6, but won't have the time to wander now. TAKE A GOOD AMOUNT OF CASH until you're sure your ATM card will work!

8. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Crepesy, You have been on my mind.....was hoping that you were ok. Glad to hear YOU are
    fine though. What is up with the bank? That's pretty scary....and unfortunate! Now you have
    to pay for airfare again. Yikes. You almost don't want to carry that much cash though, right?
    I know the manager at my Chase bank here. I will personally tell him my situation, and that
    if I have a problem, I will call him myself.
    I had kept checking your blog.......and thought well maybe you just needed time AWAY from dialog! Your Camino is waiting for YOU! :)

9. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

Hi Tom be a little patience; I have left Santiago 3 hours ago and Willy's photo is as same as the one I took yesterday at my arrival. Palace bussineses takes long time. Enjoy your Camino & Ultreia. J.c.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  10. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey C4S - So sorry to hear about your banking/ATM problems in Madrid. For all of us who have done the same thing as you for many years, it's very unsettling that there could be this type of problem where you couldn't access your money far from home nor resolve it from a distance with your bank. Your advice is well taken about carrying enough cash to deal with such a situation. I am traveling right now with two international trips coming up in the next few months. I will certainly plan differently now knowing what happened to you. I'm very happy that you'll be able to get back to Spain in a couple of weeks. As unfortunate as this situation was, I know you'll get the most out of your upcoming journey. Buen Camino my friend!

Gerry Vandermaat, danvo and hindsfeet like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks, friend! I'm going to start another thread instead of hijacking Tom's further. Lots to report about how bank cards work.

Gerry Vandermaat and hindsfeet like this.
  12. Crepes4Suzette

Thank you for the kind words, Wily! I'm starting another thread to try to explain some of it because it's frightening to be stuck over there without access to your money.

Josh unçu, Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  13. Rainyday woman

Rainyday woman Member

Look at it this way, you can plan another Camino when the renovations are done ;)

14. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    Yes not much has changed since May 2015 to the Cathedral renos - probably more covered in fact by looking at wily's latest

Attached Files:

15. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

24 May 2017.
    IMG-20170523-WA0011.jpeg Ultreia to all !!! IMG-20170524-WA0002.jpeg

16. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,

I was great meeting you in 2015 when I was on my second Camino Frances. I was back last year for the third time but this year I will be doing something different.

I will be starting in Oviedo on the 29th of August to walk the Primitivo, getting to Santiago around the 10th of September. Then a bus to Lisbon to walk the Portuguese back to Santiago around the 11th of October. Finally a bus to Ferrol to walk the Ingles finishing in Santiago on the 17th of October, then home.

So you never know, we might meet again.

Buen Camino,

Mike

17. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Member

There is definitely more scaffolding than 2015, I've just compared my photos to the one above. I was hoping for it to be finished by this July when I walk it again, ah well I think another trip is in order possibly 2019, it might be finished by then. Buen Camino Keith, Norfolk

hindsfeet likes this.