1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staying Safe Online, The Camino And Forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    It is easy to fall into posting too much personal information online sometime - especially when it comes to a pilgrimage like the Camino. So I thought I would post some advice and my experience of staying safe online.

Information that you write in a post is public. Not everyone can reply, only members can.

First - it is a great idea to add where you are from in your profile, it helps others when you are asking about travel plans and how to get to places. I currently live in Prague - posting that information is quite anonymous - however later this month I will be moving to a small village out of the city. That village and or address will never be posted by me online or ever associated with me anywhere. The village has less than 100 people living there and most would know me as the foreigner. So it would be fairly easy for anyone to locate me. Not a problem really - however imagine I post information that I am away on the Camino for a month.. This in some ways is like telling a burglar that the house is empty during that time - so best not.

As I have spoken about before I met my other half on the Camino. She and her friend had sim cards for their phones that were used only for the Camino - and they had email addresses that were for Camino use only. In many ways they thought of their own safety more than would ever cross my mind - but I am male, perhaps that makes a difference. So using a throw-away email address here and for communicating with others online line is a good idea. It takes two minutes to setup a gmail address.

These are the main suggestions that come to mind right now, I am sure I will have more and come back and add them here.

What about you? Any thoughts?

2. traveldipper

traveldipper Member

Hi Leslie,
    Thanks for that. Only just noticed but a good message!

3. Alan J Brown

Alan J Brown Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Leslie,
    Yep it's a sorry state of affairs but even on a forum as this were we are all trying to make friends we have to be aware of the dangers,that to little, as in information... can be best.Buen Camino !!!

4. Ok
    Yes
    Good advise
    I haven't even begun to even plan yet
    I'm in the phase of gathering information I guess you could say.
    Thanks for the greeting
    Peace

5. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

Welcome Denise,
    There's lots of great info and advice if needed on this forum, good luck with your planning.

7. Louise

Louise New Member

Thanks Leslie,
    Great tips

8. Sue

Sue New Member

9. Sue

Sue New Member

I signed into El Camino site less than an hour ago. Thank you very much for suggesting a new e-mail, etc. while doing the Camino. Excellent advice for females.

10. Sue

Sue New Member

11. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Yup, it's always better to be cautious about what you post, for your own safety.