1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step By Step From St Jean Pied De Port To Roncesvalles

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by davebugg, Feb 12, 2019.

1. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

Last September, I used my GoPro Hero 6 Black attached to my Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack shoulder strap to record the entire 9 hours of walking over the Napoleon Route. I used a 14,000 Mah power bank and 4 256 Gb micro SD cards to record the footage.

The link to that video is added below. At the video, select the highest resolution option for viewing that is native to your tv or computer screen.

Now, you don't have to sit through 9 hours of video. The post production editing was done by John Sikora and included processing using Hyperlapse technology which does a sort of smooth, fast forward at about 8x the normal speed. Thus, you cover the Route in about 35 minutes.

The footage also shows the decision points at the Col Loepeder starting down to Roncesvalle, showing where the choice between taking the road down vs the path is made. This might help those who want to take the less steep and slippery road alternative.

It also shows the point where, at the bottom of the descent at the Chapel, one can access the path to the Colegiate Albergue rather than following the busy roadway.

John Sikora has done the same for each of the Brierley stages on Camino Frances, and they are published to YouTube. In addition to the Napoleon Route, John recorded his doing the Valcarlos alternative to Roncesvalles as well. Look at his PlayLists. He also now has the same for the Camino Portuguese.

The other thing about these videos is that during post production, John added WalkApp gps tracking to the right side of the video picture, outside of the video frame. This superimposes a marker of the walker on Brierley's map of the stage, and the marker 'follows' the progress of the walker showing where on the map the video footage is at.

At the bottom of the video picture, below the frame, John does the same 'following along', but using a Google fly over map to follow the progress.

At the beginning of each video, John does an overview of the route with a Google Maps flyover, and then show an elevation profile picture of the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW8109DlG6s9fVbVe4tODFQ/playlists

Ginamarie, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Dave - Really good stuff! I just watched the Stage 1A and 1B (SJPP to Valcarlos to Roncesvalles). Really enjoyed seeing the alternate route through the Pyrenees since I haven’t walked it. I don’t think that I saw a single pilgrim on this route when this film was taken in late August. Beautiful countryside and very peaceful even though there is some road walking. I would definitely give the alternate route a try after watching the video. Thanks for sharing and Buen Camino!

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. davebugg

Just a forewarning :) There is more elevation gain overall than on Napoleon, and the last climb is steeper than the steepest grade on Napoleon, though it is not as long as the total ascent on Napoleon.

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Fun to watch the video. It is amazing how much longer it is than I remember.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Wow, this is great and brings back many memories. Thank you @davebugg for the "filming" and John for the post production work.

Ginamarie and davebugg like this.
  6. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Wow, thank you for sharing!

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Davebugg, really interesting. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I walked the Napoleon route during our 2015 camino. The weather was great as were the views. We should have taken the road route down into Roncesvalles, but hiked the slippery downhill through the forest and it was treacherous. I scored a black toe and my wife scored several blisters.

During our 2017 camino, we walked the Valcarlos route. We really liked it. It has a few small towns to stop and rest (thankfully allowed my wife to pee in toilets!), and grab a cafe con leche and refill our water bottles. It is a good combination of road walking, walking through forests along streams, and of course some rigorous uphill climbs.

We begin our third camino frances in Sept and will opt for the Valcarlos route again. Maybe the Napoleon route awaits us for camino 4. I did watch the YouTube on the Valcarlos route - quite interesting! Thanks again! Bob

UnkleHammy, davebugg and Ginamarie like this.
  8. davebugg

Thank you all for your kind words. If plans don't go awry, I hope to be able to do a day-by-day of the Ingles and Aragones Caminos this Fall. So far, John Sikora has agreed to take on the post production stuff, again. :) This time, though, I will have the GoPro Hero 7 Black which has a far better stabilizing function and frame rate with 4K than my GoPro 6. From what I have learned from experience, the picture quality should be much improved.

I really gained a lot from watching Camino videos when researching what walking the Frances was like. I found those videos which focused on the Camino itself as the walking progressed -- rather than on the person(s) walking the Camino -- to be the most informative to me. That's the reason I enjoyed the way John Sikora shot and edited his Camino Frances series. It even allowed me to walk on the treadmill to the progress on the videos.

That is the reason I wanted to add to John's series with the missing Napoleon Route stage to Roncesvalles, and why I want to do the entire Ingles and Aragones in the same format. It is my desire to give back, by helping new pilgrims become confident about walking a Camino, thru the viewing of the videos.

Besides, what a great memento of the Caminos. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019