1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions For A Kingston Shop To Get Waterproof Shoes Fitted?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by GreelyI, Nov 7, 2019.

1. GreelyI

GreelyI New Member

I am planning to attempt the Camino in the Spring of 2020.

As I am not currently a model of a trail-walker my plan is to increase my walking over the next few months. To this end I want to get some footwear that will help me build up my stamina while not resulting in getting too wet all the time.

Located in Twickenham I expect that my closest larger town to attempt to get fitted and sold on particular footwear will be Kingston.

My feet have been measured as Size 9.5 at a Clarks shop and I have wide feet.

Do the members have suggestions of a reliable shop in Kingston to get measured/fitted and suggestions as to what I should be asking for. I have never been comfortable with boots of any kind. My ankles always get sore in them.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Kind regards,
    Ian

Wily likes this.
  2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I'm in the wrong country (USA) however I recommend that you get something a little larger than you might and WEAR them in ALL of you training prior to heading out for the Camino. Be sure to take the same socks that you plan to wear for your shoe fitting. AND have a great trip.

GreelyI, Canadian Wander and Wily like this.
  3. GreelyI

GreelyI New Member

Thank you UnkleHammy.
    Your's is the type of advice I need. I wasn't going to make my original post as my anxiety had me fearing "read other posts before asking the same question" type replies. Now I understand that I was putting the cart before the horse!

Today I will visit a shop and have a look at what the socks on offer are. Then come back to this form and read other "wayfarer's" advice.

Kind regards,
    Ian

Canadian Wander and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hi Ian - Welcome to the Forum. There’s probably no more important single issue regarding the Camino than having the proper footwear and caring for your feet while walking. With that said, let me share a few of my observations. First, there are any number of good shoes that you can choose from. If boots hurt your ankles, don’t choose that option. The terrain of the CF doesn’t require a hiking boot although that is some people’s preference. Most of my walking has been done in a low-cut hiking shoe. Lots of good ones out there. Just a month ago, I wore trail running shoes when my wife and I did the first 12 stages of the Francés. Loved them! They were much lighter and cooler than my hiking shoes. However, if I were going to walk during rainier times, and you are most likely to deal with this in the spring, I might look toward a waterproof version (often GTX) of this running shoe. Second, fit is most important! As Unklehammy said, buy large! Both my hiking and running shoes are half a size larger than I normally wear at home. You’ll really appreciate this on the downhill sections. Third, whereas I would suggest that a hiking shoe needs to be broken in, running shoes are good to go out of the box. Nonetheless, conditioning and physically preparing for a 500 mile trek will pay great rewards. Train hard before you go and you will be rewarded for all your efforts once you’re on the trail. Fourth, regardless of the shoe you buy, consider replacing the in-soles with a higher quality one. I like Superfeet, but again, you need to be fitted so as to get the correct ones for your feet. Fifth, as Unklehammy pointed out, good socks are a must. A high quality sock will serve you well. I typically carry three pairs. Finally, learn as much as you can about footcare. On my first Camino, I got huge blisters. Since learning better how to care for my feet, no foot issues at all. There’s plenty of good information on the Forum regarding blisters or we can talk more about this later. The preparation for your Camino is almost half the fun. Enjoy this time as you prepare for hopefully one of the great experiences of your life. Buen Camino!

GreelyI and Canadian Wander like this.
  5. UnkleHammy

@Wily mentioned that he recommends getting shoes about one half size larger than you normally wear. I notice that you seem to be using European shoe sizes, I don't know how those compare to US sizes, but do remember to get a slightly larger size. Remember that your feet are going to take you all the way, so take good care of them. I used "off the shelf" shoe inserts at first, I now use custom inserts and they are great. @Wily reccomends 3 pairs of socks, I reccomend 4 pairs. Sometimes it is nice to change socks at lunch time and this way you will be able to wash and dry the current pair reliably.

Wily and GreelyI like this.
  6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Hi Greelyl- Canadian here-...welcome aboard!
    Some really good advice from wild Wily and Unkle Hammy - I echo the Superfeet insole... I live for green!
    I found that lubing my feet first, with sports slik, or a lube from Running room will help your entire foot.
    I recommend Wright socks, they are double layer built in...and I never had to worry about sock changes during the day...but that is me.
    Once you get into the walk training, try things out, see what works for you. Practice with your pack on...plenty of people did distance walk training without, and got into trouble quick on the Camino.
    Not sure if you are close to a MEC, they have really good people for assisting with footwear. You can of course buy from Sports Chek or Atmosphere, but the staff will rarely have much experience in anything except selling.
    I have narrow feet, and I went with a Light weight North Face gortex boot- I like the ankle support. But as pointed out by my man Wily- many choices, it really does come down to what you like and works. Don't push on with a bad boot because you bought them and they were expensive, we lost a fantastic lady fro the UK about day 7 because she pushed on in bad boots and ended up with a bad infection from blisters...shame, she was so cool.
    Do not get worried about so much detail ahead of time, this site has just about every question, but this is YOUR Camino- so if you have questions...ask a way!
    One bit of advice though...boots do wear out, if you do all of your training in the same boots you go with...you may be approaching their end- consider a second pair once you know what works for you, and alternate!

Wily, GreelyI and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. UnkleHammy

@Canadian Wander suggested that you train with your pack on. I recommend that you gradually increase the weight that you train with. Most people start with a pack that weighs about 10kilos or less and the less the better. I recommend that you use bottles of water as training weights. The 500ml size weighs about one half kilo or about one pound. The bottles are cheap and, if you get thirsty, are immediately usable. Do not train packless.

Wily, GreelyI and Canadian Wander like this.
  8. GreelyI

GreelyI New Member

Thanks for all the replies folks. This is certainly a welcoming group. :)

I ordered a pair of "1000 Mile Men's Ultimate Approach Walking Socks" from Amazon today after reading UnkleHammy's comment. They arrive tomorrow.

Canadian Wanderer's suggestion that shoes (boots) wear out leads me to think that I might train with something closer to a walking shoe and will buy newer ones after Christmas. (Ideally in the sales) Still giving me time to wear them in.

I will get the starting shoes and try some walking forays before I look at a pack and start training with weight.

Smoke me a kipper...

Ian

UnkleHammy, Wily and Canadian Wander like this.
  9. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Good plan!
    Warning though- Camino is addictive! Do not say we didn't warn you!