1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Patches On The Camino

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Bearded Peregrino, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Bearded Peregrino

Bearded Peregrino Unshaven Member

Home Page:
    I've joined the confraternity of St. James for my home country, The American Pilgrims on the Camino, as a way to foster the overall tradition of the Camino. Membership is not expensive and I'm happy to support such a confraternity. One of the benefits of doing so is that many confraternities have their own membership patches (the British and Canadians call them badges) that members can attach to backpacks and gear. I bought just a couple of the patches for myself and the other priest I'll be walking with. But, I got the idea to order a handful more of these patches just before I cross the pond just so I can have them as tokens to pass out on the Camino to fellow peregrinos or to leave at albergues and hostels.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this or have seen other tokens that peregrinos swap as a sign of fraternity or gratitude.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    BenL, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bearded Peregrino - Although I haven’t heard of or experienced giving out patches, I do recall a post or a thread where folks brought something from home that they could pass on to others whom they wanted to thank or acknowedge. There may be some small token typical from where you live that would be easy to carry and offerd to folks along The Way. Although I did not carry such an item, there were favorite hospitaleros, pharmacists, and other lovely people (Fernanda of Casa de Fernanda in Portugal comes to mind), to whom offering a small token from home would have been most appropriate and appreciated. From my experiences, kindness seems to be the common commodity that the French, Portuguese, and Spanish offer to those of us who venture onto the Camino. A token of our gratefulness seems most appropriate. Buen Camino!

3. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    I always bring a pocket full of patches to give to special people I make a connection with on the Camino. I haven’t seen other pilgrims with patches to swap, but that’s a nice idea because patches are small, lightweight and fun to collect. It brings me joy to give them and it brings the recipient a smile. The theme “the Camino provides” strikes a chord with many and it invites a fun exchange of stories. I bring the current year’s design and a few with no year. I also like to buy a patch with each route I walk, but I didn’t have a chance to get one for the Primitivo this year so will look for one on my next Camino.

Wily likes this.
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Laurie - Love your “The Camino Provides” patches.

DB66E115-F09A-4CBC-A61D-BE72A0212D5E.jpeg

We were leaving a restaurant in the Detroit airport just before Thanksgiving when out of the blue came a warm “Buen Camino.” A couple also sitting in the restaurant saw the patch on my pack and offered up the familiar and friendly greeting. They, too, had walked the CF! Although our interaction was short (seems like in an airport one is always running to catch a plane), it was great to have that connection with fellow pilgrims far from both home and the Camino. Glad I had the patch!

When will the 2019 patches be available? Buen Camino Amiga!

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  5. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Hi Wily,
    So good to hear the patches are a conversation starter! The 2019 patch was a bit delayed but is now available. It's a rainbow design with the year is written in orange thread instead of red like this year. They are pictured on my etsy shop.