Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Taping Feet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jose, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Member

Have read about using tape for the feet. I thinking they are talking about duct tape and/or masking tape. Anyone have any experience with this? Duct tape is so heavy to carry. Appreciate your information.

hindsfeet likes this.
  2. NinaMarie

NinaMarie New Member

Hi, Jose, I think K-tape may be what they are referencing. It's quite light and flexible. There are tons of youtube tutorials for using K-tape for specific foot/ankle/knee/hamstring etc. issues, as well as for shoulders, back and so on.

Jose and Wily like this.
  3. NinaMarie

NinaMarie New Member

Jose likes this.
  4. Jose

Jose Member

I was really thinking about taping to avoid blisters. Same tape. Have been trying the masking tape and it is amazing how it sticks. Will see how long it holds it's place.

5. Jose

Jose Member

And it is for preventing blisters, too?

6. NinaMarie

NinaMarie New Member

I guess you could use it for that. It's stretchy and more like a fabric. It would be more expensive than masking tape though.

Jose likes this.
  7. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Jose, I might be wrong....but I thought they were talking about paper tape, like surgical/medical tape. It is a thin paper tape that you apply to perhaps your toes (where they rub together)or even your ankles where friction could cause blisters. When I used to run (in the old days) ha....I would do that before a race. The tape is not sticky like a bandage, so it would sometimes slide off when sweaty. But it seemed to help me. But I watched the video on that k-tape. Looks pretty cool, might have to try that to maybe stabilize a knee or something.

danvo, Jose and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jose - Hindsfeet is correct. KT tape is typically used on injuries such as knees, shoulders, quads, arms, etc. I've seen any number of people at the gym or at an athletic competition using this type of tape due to wanting to give greater strength to a particular muscular area.

For blisters, and there are several other threads on the topic on this Forum, you want to get a small roll of paper tape available at any pharmacy. It works quite effectively on hot spots or developed blisters. As Hindsfeet said, it works very well on the toes to keep them from rubbing together. Since it weighs almost nothing, I keep a small roll of it in my first aid kit all of the time. To date, it's the most effective thing that I've found to take care of blisters after you have opened them up. Buen Camino!

danvo, Jose and hindsfeet like this.
  9. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to add my two cents, but the awesome Wily has the low down, and the fun loving hindsfeet. I have nothing on these two!

Jose, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We're bringing paper tape this camino to cover hotspots. Before our last camino, we read that grey duct/duck tape can also be useful. We bought a small roll and brought it with us. My wife had toes that were rubbing against each other, so she placed the grey tape over her toes that that worked quite well.

hindsfeet, danvo and Jose like this.
  11. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 New Member

What does Vasoline do to your feet? I have blisters already - and haven't left home.

12. Jose

Jose Member

The info I have is that it let's your feel slide without frictions and thereby prevents blisters. There is supposed to be something else that is called "body glide" I think that works the same. Right everybody????

13. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Jose

You're right, in relation to blisters it's all about preventing or reducing friction. People use all kinds of methods. For me I use a combination of superwool socks and Bodyglide (on my toes and ankles) and of course correctly fitted shoes. To date I haven't had a single blister while using them.

I also try to make sure to give my feet a break at least once a day by taking of my shoes and socks and sometimes changing the socks (though since using the superwool socks and bodyglide this has been less of an issue).

The problem I found with Vaseline is that it tends to slide off your feet, when they get sweaty, and bunch in the corner of your socks leaving you with a kind of jelly glob in the corner...not desirable at all.

I haven't tried the taping so can't comment.

Buen Camino

Greg

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  14. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jose - Let me second what Greg said. Bodyglide is a better product than vaseline. It comes in a stick container like a deodorant. In the mornings, it's as simple as giving your toes and feet a swipe before putting on your socks. Mid-way through our daily hike, we, too, would take off the shoes and socks and air out the feet (why not while enjoying a nice cafe con leche). You might also think about changing into a dry pair of socks at this point. Reapply Bodeglide and you're good to go. Proper foot care is so important to keeping your feet feeling good which will significantly add to staying comfortable during your Camino. Although I picked up my Bodyglide online, I now see stores even like Walmart selling it. It's a good investment!

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  15. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I purchased Body glide and will give it a whirl.

Wily likes this.
  16. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall Member

I use the paper tape from chemists. Wrap around the ball of the foot, and sometimes around my heel.
    tip.
    if you have hairy feet, or toes, shave them first.

17. Jose

Jose Member

Thanks, Greg. Great advice.

18. Jose

Jose Member

Hahaha...have tried the paper tape and you are right shaving before hand would be smart!

19. Jose

Jose Member

Having trouble finding it in Mexico. Will be in New Mexico in a few weeks and will go looking. Bodyglide! Also luckily there is a good REI there and I think my wonderful new Merril MOABs are the wrong size. How that could happen after trying on stuff for more than hour. But I think I need a whole size larger than normal not half a size even though they are extra wide.

20. Jose

Jose Member

Thanks, Wily. I am on it and will remember the info about giving your feet a rest!

21. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    I use Vaseline, works great, I coat the bottom of my feet and in between toes and no blisters.

22. Jose

Jose Member

He
    I am definitely for NO blisters!! Have been through that before. Thanks for the info!

23. Bill Garlinghouse

Bill Garlinghouse New Member

I used leukotape for prevention of blisters on the AT for the last several years. It's stretchiness allows it to conform nicely to toes, heal ... I carry a couple of strips cut to fit in a baggie, along with a small bottle of tincture of benzoin and qtips cut in half. Benzoin is the yellow sticky stuff medical types use to help bandages stick. Use the qtip to spread it around the area the tape's going on. Let it dry a few minutes. Put the tape on and rub it good to create some heat from the friction. It'll stick for days.