Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Taste Of The Camino In A Relaxed Way - May For 7 Days

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Thelma, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Thelma

Thelma New Member

I am so happy to have found this forum!
    We (2 x couples) will be visiting Spain for a yoga retreat in Santillan, Andalucia mid may 2017 and would like a taste of the Camino after that - we have 7/8 days to walk a section - then to Barcelona for a few days.
    We are not set on doing a specific route or finishing in Santiago de Compostela this time but would rather do a more relaxed, scenic, foodie and wine experience and stay in small hotels with our luggage transferred.
    Can anyone perhaps suggest which area would be best for this and where to find the necessary information? Will it be necessary to book everything ahead of time or can one book as you go......
    We hope to do the entire Camino in 2018 :)

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Thelma welcome to the forum :) I'm sure that you can find here many answers to your questions. For scenic routes you can check posts and links from Magwood (from c. del norte check http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/...del-norte-ruta-do-mar-and-camino-ingles.6359/ )
    My own recommendation: reserve more days for walking, 10 days or more if it is possible. 7 days of walking is not easy, first week is difficult for body, because I think at home you don't walk 20+ km daily..

..another good source of infos: check signature of @RJS :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Lolaisqueen, Thelma and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hi Thelma and welcome to the Forum. You pose a tough question since there are so many excellent sections of the Camino to walk. IMHO you can't go wrong regarding your choice. Lots of different terrains out there and many regional differences, but it's all good.

You will get a number of excellent ideas from the Forum members. Based on your criteria, let me tell you what I would do. Because Navarra was one of my favorite provinces and because of your interest in food and wine, I'd start in Pamplona and work my way to Santo Domingo. It's fairly typical that most pilgrims walk this section of the Camino in six days. The total distance is 149 km. To assist you with your lugage, JacoTrans offers baggage transfer from town to town so you could simply walk with a small day pack. Bags are picked up at your lodging and delivered to your next stop.

I like this section of the Camino for a few reasons. One, Pamplons, Logroño, and Santo Domingo are all great cities for foodies. You WILL find some of the best tapas/pintxos northern Spain has to offer in this region. Excellent wine as well! Navarra is dotted with some of the most picturesque towns along the Camino. History runs deep through this part of Spain. Just out of Pamplona you will also have a chance to summit the Alto del Perdón which is a very special spot on the Camino. I could go on, but you get the idea.

As you want to stay in small hotels, book ahead and reserve your rooms. May is a busy time on the Camino, regardless of the section, so you will want hotel reservations. If you don't already have a copy, and if you decide to walk a section of the Camino Francés, get Brierley's guide. In addition to nicely laying out six days of walking for you, he also presents a lot of the history of the area that you won't want to miss. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

Thelma, I echo Wily's recommendation. The camino wanders right through the Rioja wine country. You can see the vineyards beside the trail as you walk during the day and sample the red wines at night. Pamplona dates back to Roman times and was highlighted in Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". You can have drinks and tapas in the Iruna bar / restaurant and have your photo taken with the life size statue of Hemingway standing at the bar. If you plan to stay in hotels, then you can treat yourself to a night in the historic and luxurious parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Pamplona, Logrono and Santo Domingo all have historic cathedrals and lots of shops, bars and restaurants. Buen Camino! Bob

Thelma, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Thelma

Thelma New Member

Thank you Wily this sounds exactly what we after!

Wily likes this.
  6. Thelma

Thelma New Member

Thank you - very exciting!!

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Thelma and welcome to the forum – I thought that I would answer your question on here rather than replying directly to your email as by posting my ideas on the forum, then others can also comment.

Personally, I would aim to walk at least the last 100k into Santiago de Compostela so that you can claim your Compostela, but, IF it were me then I would avoid the Camino Frances because, although it probably has the best infrastructure, it is also by far the most crowded and as you will be getting towards the end May before you start walking, things, especially in the latter sections will be getting busy and the only way you would be able to guarantee your bed is by either booking your accommodation in advance or getting up very early in the morning and finishing your daily walk soon after mid day, or stay in a Private Albergue or hotel (As you can’t book beds in the Municipal Albergue’s in advance) – If you are happy doing this then I would also agree with what has already been posted.

However, by missing out staying in The Refugio De Peregrino’s, you also miss out on a lot of the camaraderie of walking a Camino – Therefore my own suggestion would be to walk the last sections of The Camino Norte as this only has a fraction of the numbers walking the route compared with the Camino Frances

The latter sections of the Camino Norte are Stunning as you pass though some awesome countryside - Here is some info and photos of what I am suggesting http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bc/d/#memberreviews=page3

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob