Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Tastes Of The Camino With Yosmar Martinez

Discussion in 'Pilgrim Books' started by Laurie Ferris, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    I recently had the opportunity to attend a hands-on cooking class with guest chef Yosmar Martinez, author of the new cookbook, Tastes of the Camino.
    [​IMG]

Yosmar planned a delicious four-course meal based on recipes from Spain and her new cookbook.

• Pan con Tomate y Jamón Serrano (Toasted bread with Tomato and Serrano ham)
    • Espinacas con Garbanzos (Spinach with Chickpeas)
    • Paella Mixta (Chicken and Shellfish Paella)
    • Tarta de Santiago (St. James Almond Cake)

[​IMG]

Below are more photos and a video of the experience.

Fourteen of us gathered at Back to the Table Cooking School and Production Kitchen in Lafayette, California, where we donned red aprons, rolled up our sleeves and worked for our supper.

[​IMG]

Under Yosmar’s guidance, we chopped, peeled, diced, sliced, puréed, sautéed, whisked, folded, baked and sprinkled.

[​IMG]

Yosmar gave us the essential instruction such as mise-en-place (putting everything in place), sauteing and slicing techniques and the importance of salt.

[​IMG]
    Sharing the stove with Lilly, a recently returned Camino pilgrim from San Jose.

She also had menu-specific tips on making paella with safron, sofrito, chicken and shellfish. Mussel debearding is a tough job but someone had to do it! It wasn’t me, for I kept myself busy with the food processor, an appliance I can handle.

[​IMG]
    Clams are happy when the open up in a paella pan!

[​IMG]
    The finished product tasted as good as it looked.

Then it was time to decorate the Tarta de Santiago we prepared at the beginning of class. Her recipe is amazingly simple, and it’s gluten free, so everyone can enjoy it!

[​IMG]
    I used Yosmar’s Cruz de Santiago stencil to make this design on the Tarta.

[​IMG]
    It’s so easy, even I can do it!

[​IMG]
    It was light and moist and had a delicate flavor of lemon.

[​IMG]

And when it was time to enjoy the fruits of our labor, we celebrated the feast with wine at a big communal table, Camino style!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best cookbooks aren’t just about cooking – they also bring together culinary passion and exploration. That description perfectly sums up Yosmar Martinez’s exquisite Tastes of the Camino. Focusing on foods along an ancient pilgrimage route in northern Spain, the book reveals the luscious, amazing dishes of a food-rich region.

– Back to the Table Cooking School

Yosmar and I chatted about our Caminos and I thanked her for sharing her passion for the Camino and good food with us. She said, “It’s easy when it’s from the heart.” Amen, Camiga! She signed my cookbook, which now has a special place in our kitchen.

[​IMG]

Yosmar’s book is also available on her website, www.whiskandspatula.com and Amazon.com. These will make a great holiday gift for anyone who has walked the Camino.
    [​IMG]

See original post: https://thecaminoprovides.com/2016/10/15/tastes-of-the-camino-with-yosmar-martinez/

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Mmmmmmmmmm – It all looks Delicious – Especially The Tarta de Santiago – Are you taking orders :)

My own favourite dish (Once I enter Galicia) is Pulpo de Galicia – It’s like a signature dish, was this on the course too ??

http://www.spanish-food.org/seafood-pulpo-a-la-gallega.html

Best Regards

Rob

3. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    Hi Rob,
    I like Pulpo too, and enjoyed it in Padron and Pontevedra. For some reason I didn't order any in Santiago. I think I had too much to eat at the Hospederia and Parador. Next time I'm in Santiago, I'll make sure to find a pulperia. Suggestions welcome!

We didn't make Pulpo in class, but you'll be happy to know that Yosmar dedicates 4 pages to pulpo in her cookbook. Here's the first spread.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    RJS and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Laurie - What a great looking cookbook. I, too, have enjoyed some wonderful group cooking classes in Mexico! Good food with good company! It's always nice to learn recipes that one can duplicate at home.

I indulged in pulpo on at least four occasions on my Camino. I now look forward to sampling Portugese pulpo next spring. I have to admit that a simple grilled pulpo a la plancha was my favorite! One of the wonderful delights of Galicia is the great food including pulpo.

On a sidenote, I've now made the Tarta de Santiago three times. As a dessert, it is a real crowd pleaser and so easy to make. Thanks for passing on the recipe in one of your earlier posts. Buen Camino!

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Laurie

Last time I was in Santiago I had some Beautiful Pulpo con Patatas at a small restaurant, I think it was on Rua das Orfas, but I can’t remember the name of the place (Sorry I can’t be of any more help) – But the Pulpo was Excellent as the before and after pic below depicts and the price was very reasonable :)

Best Regards

Rob

IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2934.JPG

Laurie Ferris and Wily like this.
  6. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

IMG_0041.JPG

Hey Rob - Delicious looking pulpo! Here's a photo of my late afternoon snack in O Pedrouzo after a day of walking in heavy Galician rain. Pulpo in a butter garlic sauce with shrimp! Ah, the life of a pilgrim!

Laurie Ferris and RJS like this.