1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ten Years Old This Month

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Ten years ago this month I started building my first Camino website. The first thought that comes to mind is, my god I am ten years older...

Many of you will have heard my story that led to the site being born. I, many times, have tried to write a novel. Ten years ago I tore up my last one and disgusted threw it in the bin. The next morning I woke with the idea that I should know how to build a website - where that came from I have no idea.

I did not know any useful programming - I had learned some way back in the early 90's but languages that are now defunct. So I set about learning HTML and CSS. I waded through days of messing with lines of code to eventually publish the ugliest website eye balls have ever had to suffer - make you bleed kind of ugly.

But it was fun. I like messing with code, still do today - though have little time for it. (Why do we have little time for the things we like? Interesting) But I am bloody awful at designing any two colors that might have the chance of going together.

I remember publishing it and adding analytics and watching as no-one visited my work of modern art. And for me that was the start of my new career. I learned how to market websites simply because no-one visited mine.

I don't think I had any long term expectations when building the site - if I did I might have taken a bit more care - that one is a lesson I have had to learn over and over. There have been a few things in my life that have lasted much longer than I ever thought, and they would all have benefited from me being more caring.

The site eventually did well being on the first page of Google when people searched for Camino de Santiago, and as has often happened with success I got a bit full of myself. (another lesson) Then I became distracted with earning a living and let things slide for a couple of years.

Meanwhile I started this forum. A bit strange that my personality type would consider starting a forum - I am not very sociable - I used to say it was because I didn't like other people very much - I have remarked often to my other half that she is the only person I could spend a full day with without going crazy. But I like other people fine in small interesting amounts of time, as long as they don't bore me...

Anyway, the forum has now been going for eight years. And it is only down to the members here that it has kept going. I have found it hard over such a long period sometimes that there were a few times that I hardly checked in, though now I check every morning and night.

It has been a great journey and long may it continue. There have been many ups and many of you have been witness to the downs when moderating - again I dislike conflict, but hey man up and get on with it.

I just wanted to write this and say thank you to everyone here, and just pause myself for a moment and celebrate, a little pat on the back. I hadn't noticed that it was ten years until @Laurie Ferris pointed it out to me earlier this month. And once again that is fairly typical of me, I don't do celebrations, and don't pause much to look at something I was involved with that was worthwhile - it is usually - okay what's next.

So, thanks for being part of my Camino experience.

Alma, Janine, mvanert and 5 others like this.
  2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Leslie, congrats on the 10 year anniversary of the Camino Forum website. I "discovered" the website over 3 years ago and it was so very helpful in preparing for our first camino last fall. That was our first camino and I felt very well prepared for our journey. The Camino Forum is now a good friend of mine. I check it daily and enjoy seeing the many exchanges and comments from long distance friends. Thanks for taking the initiative to set this up and helping so many of us. Bob

Leslie likes this.
  3. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I agree with everything that Bob has said. This forum was of inestimable help when I was planning my camino four years ago and has remained a source of contact and friendship ever since. Thank you very much Leslie

Leslie likes this.
  4. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

Likewise Leslie
    The Hank you for putting the time into this great resource.
    I use it as my home base and it has made the planning of my first Camino so much more enjoyable.

Keep it up fella X

Woodchild

Leslie likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

So far this forum has been essential for me. Glad that you set it up and are continuing it.

Leslie likes this.
  6. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Ditto all the above. So glad I found your forum! I have resolved every issue/question I have had in planning my Camino this coming September by readjng old threads and asking questions. What a great resource!

Leslie likes this.
  7. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Thank you Leslie. Your forum was the main source of vital information for me when I planned my first Camino back in 2014. Now I still enjoy keeping up to date with what is happening out there and also helping newbies in the same way I received help.

Let's look forward to the next 10 years. :)

Leslie likes this.
  8. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Leslie. Prior to the forum, I stumbled across your website ( Leslie Gilmour -----!!!) when I was looking for information on the way of St James to Santiago Compostela, when I was thinking about walking the camino. In my opinion what set it apart from other websites , it was an easy read and a good source of practical information, Planning, Training, Boots, Packing list , Albergues etc. Then the camino forum ,which was an inspired initiative and an excellent source information regarding exchange/ sharing information, providing help and advise and keeping in touch with Pilgrims from all over the world .

In answer to your question "Whats Next" . I only wish I had the answer. However, I know its going to be challenging to meet and serve the future needs of the Camino Santiago Compostela .

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

Leslie likes this.
  9. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks guys.

10. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes Leslie – I think that this is an excellent friendly forum and I really enjoy posting on it and passing on a few hints from the Camino’s that I have walked over the years :)

The way I look at it, If I can’t be walking a Camino now, then the next best thing is to try to assist those who are currently planning their own :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino to one and all

Rob

11. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I completely agree and I get so much back from others.

And that thought has been in my head, it makes me ask - so what can I do better? I have quite a few thoughts on that.

My answer right now is to build more information on my website and run the forum a bit better.

raymond john likes this.
  12. dalebob

dalebob Member

Well all I can add is this site has helped me and so many more folks walk on the Way. And the help , advice , support and occasional irritation great preparation in getting to SdC and beyond. Many thanks for your effort input and tolerance Leslie. As my kids would say Respect !!

danvo and Leslie like this.
  13. Cornelius

Cornelius Member

Thanks, Leslie, for all that you do for us all. This comes with best wishes for the next ten years from Assisi where I'm cherry-picking day stages from the Way of St Francis/Francigena/Via di Roma preparatory to a Florence to Rome walk next Spring. Buon Cammino e Ciao!

Leslie likes this.
  14. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Cornelius
    I,ve been to Assisi twice and had a wonderful time . On each occasion they had an open air Opera in front of the Basilica on the life of St Francis, both were very different. Did you manage to walk from Santa Maria Delgi Angel to Assisi, on the footpath constructed by bricks donated by Pilgrims each inscribed with their name or family, also the Assisi Santuario.

Ciao

RJ

danvo and Leslie like this.
  15. SBS

SBS New Member

I used this forum when planning my Camino and found it invaluable. I browse it since to stay connected. With hand on heart.... thank you.

Leslie likes this.
  16. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    Congrats and good on you, it's a great source for newbies and for sharing experiences. I appreciate it and, as someone who also builds web sites, the time and effort it takes. So thanks.

17. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Yes, Yes ! Thank you very much Leslie, This forum was and still is a great help for me and my wife. I have been visiting this forum on regular basis since 2012. Thanks for all your hard and excellent work. !:):):)

Leslie likes this.
  18. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

An interesting read Leslie about the birth of this forum. And I join the chorus of gratitude for your efforts and foresight in providing such a useful resource that allows those taking their first planning steps touch base with experienced pilgrims. I think that maybe those of us that share our experiences get more out of this forum than the newbies, as we get to relive our caminos over and over when contemplating the advice we give.
    Congratulations and thank you.

Woodchild and Leslie like this.
  19. Angie94

Angie94 Donating Member Donating Member

Congrats Leslie on the forum's 10 yr mark! This was the VERY first place I landed when I started researching information about the Camino. I had never been on a forum before, nor had I ever read blogs or things like that. This is place where the idea really started to percolate that I could actually do this trek...this is first place where I met people who encouraged and supported me in making it a reality. Now all my plans are set - tickets are bought - reservations are made - and backpack is packed - training still ongoing for my 1st camino May/June 2016. Thanks Leslie, and a grateful shout out to Devon Mike!

20. Orava

Orava Active Member

Congrats Leslie and many thanks for providing such a great forum.

As an aside, although I've used the forum for over a year, it seems I must have originally landed on the forum link from a google search and so didn't realise there is the whole main Camino website to explore as well until much later ( IT illitrut you see ) ...so it might be worth putting a link back to the main site here on the forum for those who arrive here without going through main webpage?

EDIT - Ah just spotted the small link at the very bottom of the forum main page linking to Caminoways.com..never noticed it before.

21. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes, there is a plugin for the forum to allow me to alter the menu, on my list, its been on my list for a few months...

This has just pushed it up my focus, so hopefully soon.

22. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

well done Leslie, i know how you feel, where have the years gone? thank you for all your work.

23. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Thanks a lot Leslie . Congratulations ! . This was/is a great forum for my 1st Camino and 2nd and 3rd .... and 7th . Greatly appreciate your effort and all contributing members! Buen Camino Amigos !

UnkleHammy likes this.