1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2 Geordies

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by "The 2 Geordie's", May 18, 2016.

1. "The 2 Geordie's"

"The 2 Geordie's" Active Member

Left fromista this morning heading towards CARRION DE LOS CONDES approx 21kms
    If you stop at the albergue called ESTRELLA DE CAMINO don't have the pilgrims menu
    Leave the albergue turn right 1st bar on your right hand side pilgrims menu for 11euros
    Start with a massive fresh salad then steak in chips then a beautiful yogurt plus coffee
    And you get a bottle of wine per person (hey ha way that's areet)
    The staff are brilliant
    The walk to be fair is walking next to the main road most of the way
    It's like walking in Holland flat but no tulips
    The town of CARRION DE LOS CONDES is quite canny cheapest is 5euros each per night
    Or you can stop in the albergue na sa Belem for 22euros each private room en-suite bath
    And proper hot water
    We are stopping in a private albergue for 9 euros each only 12-14 per room
    We saw 2 couples this morning leave the albergue just like us full pack on
    Then they turned the corner rucksacks off walking boots off and drove off in a hired car!!!!!!!!!
    What chance has the proper pilgrim got
    And there are more cyclists now on the Camino taking more accommodation away from the proper pilgrims

2. Peter Draper

Peter Draper New Member

Hiya Geordies from (close to) Liverpool. The wife and I start walking from Logrono on Saturday and are getting a bit freaked about the lack of beds issue. Is this real or are people just exaggerating? Most of the opinions seem to be coming from those with whom we share a language but little else. Any thoughts?

3. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

Peter,
    This is a point of discussion every day out there and rumours are started and go up and down the Camino.

Please do not worry, I am on day 14 and only had one day where the Town was down to 3 beds.

If in doubt ring ahead the night before and book

raymond john likes this.
  4. Peter Draper

Peter Draper New Member

Thanks Yorkie. Really don't want to start booking ahead if I can avoid it.

5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

The idea that some pilgrims are the "proper" ones and others are not really doesn't seem to capture the true spirit of the Camino. There are cyclists out here, but they are certainly a very small minority. Those I've spoken with are also experiencing a "real" Camino experience albeit a different one from those walking. After riding 60-70 or more kms a day, I think they, too, deserve a bed as does everyone else. Beds are tight in some small towns. The solution is simply to reserve ahead. We're all pilgrims with valid reasons to be on the Camino. None are more proper than others.

RJS and YorkieUltraRunner like this.
  6. "The 2 Geordie's"

"The 2 Geordie's" Active Member

Hi Peter
    Yes Peter, we have witnessed 1st hand problems for beds, especially if the pilgrims arrive later in the day (3-5 o'clock) we have booked a day ahead if possible, but where we stay to-night no reservations where possible ( tonight we stay @ Carrion de los CONDES), this morning when we left the Albergue,@ 6.30am) a couple were pulling suitcases & got into there CAR!, how can you compete?, when you've walked 20k plus in a day. Yorkie runner must have " Camino angel wings" on his heels, the heat is building up& has been VERY hot today
    Buen Camino

7. YorkieUltraRunner

Hope you are having fun.kids

8. YorkieUltraRunner

Peter,
    Proof live from the Camino

My room with 3 empty beds

Attached Files:

raymond john likes this.
  9. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Peter
    Yorkie is correct their is a lot of Chinese whispers regarding beds. You will witness some unusual events, Don't judge , just smile and walk on, remember it you Camino.
    The Camino provides, You can't book Municple Albergues in advance only the private take advance bookings.
    Buen Camino

Raymond John

10. Lesley keft

Lesley keft New Member

Well said Wily , I'm starting the Camino 1st September this year on my own and have booked my accomodation ahead . I believe I will be a real pilgrim!