Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

The Albergue System in Spain

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by Covey, May 1, 2010.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

As Usual I will take you advice.
    Regards Fitness I do not have much to measure mysel by but last week I walked up a gravle road near our home to a radio tower the climb is 800 mtrs up over 11 ks travel to the top I did it in 2h.40m up and 2h.00m down, I was pleased with that and I could still walk the next day.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

James

I would agree with Wily. Most, if not all albergues operate on a cash basis. On their margins it wouldn't be feasible for them to pay bank charges for such small amounts. On my most recent Camino we even found some of the smaller hotels, casa rurals and B&Bs wanted to be paid in cash, even where they had accepted Visa for the reservations.

Buen Camino

Greg

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

The "all cash" also applies to restaurants and bars, except a higher end restaurant in a major city. I recall stopping at a bar during our last camino and another pilgrim was pleading with a bartender to accept his credit card. He did not. I don't know if the pilgrim went hungry/thirsty or borrowed money from another pilgrim.

You can check with your local bank / credit union to find out daily ATM withdrawal limits and fees. I learned that I can withdraw up to $500 (converted to euros) per day and pay 1% fee on the withdrawal. Last camino we bought euros in advance. This next camino, we'll make a withdrawal at an ATM at the Madrid airport.

4. Rupert Canales

Rupert Canales New Member

Hey Ashton, hello from someone who was on the camino last year from June 14 to July 19 from SJPDP to Santiago. The only reservation was in SJPDP because of what I read about reserving the first night. I am returning on June 8 starting in SJPDP with my daughter and niece. I stayed in mostly municipal and parochial albergues and had no problems finding a place to stay. The only day that I ran into small problem was the day that I walked from Samos to Portomarin, my longest day the entire camino and as a result arrived in Portomarin at 4 pm also the latest arrival my entire camino. But the person at the albergue that I stopped in was kind enough to call around and find a room for me. I also did not start my days until between 6-7am everyday. Eveyone has their camino to walk, you will be fine without advance reservations. Worst case would be to walk to the next village and find a place there. Maybe we'll run into each other since the time frame you mentioned is similar to mine. Good luck on your journey.

Buen Camino, Rupert

5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Rupert makes a couple good points that will help one get a bed. Leave early; finish early! In May, it was just getting light around 6:30 when I usually hit the trail. I never found it necessary to leave earlier than than! Walking in the dark was not part of my Camino plan! With that early start, although I have a pretty fast pace, I was able to finish by early afternoon. Even with breaks along the way, a 1:30 stopping time most days was the norm. At that time of day, at least in May, most private albergues still had beds available. Later in the day was a different story. Finishing at 4 pm or later meant having to look harder for that bed. If one is going to have a long walking day or if you're a slower walker, I'd suggest calling ahead the day before to reserve a bed. Hospitaleros are happy to assist making a phone call to reserve a bed for you at your next town. After a long day of walking, the last thing I want to do is have to walk on to the next village hoping that I will find a bed there. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Rupert Canales

One other thing Ashton. The last 100 km was the busy section as many more people wanting the compostella will walk the last section. What I did was stay in the "off villages" away from the crowds. After the situation in Portomarin, I stayed in smaller less populated areas the last 4 days and never encountered any lack of beds, but was in a quiet solitude. I enjoyed the break from the crowds encountered in the bigger places. I stayed in San Xulian with one albergue and ten people in the village, thoroughly enjoyed the quiet comfort and the three other pilgrims that stayed there that night. Remember that you are doing this for your reasons and you have to walk your camino. It was truly a life changing experience for me. I changed jobs as a result of my walk. I am returning in 55 days and plan on walking all the routes over the next several years. I believe for me not reserving was part of what made my camino special. I had a 32 day plan that I found on this website for the camino, but finished in 29 days. I had reserved the Parador in Leon as a treat but arrived 2 days early and decided to stay in parochial albergue de benedictinas. So the only reservation that I made I canceled due to arriving ahead of schedule. Not having reservations opens the opportunity for spur of the moment changes that can arise on the camino. For me that was a great aspect of my camino. Everyone has their own ideas and to each their own needs and requirements for their camino. Walk your camino Ashton. The camino provides.

Buen Camino, Rupert

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  7. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Rupert - Excellent point about staying in the "off" towns and villages. Too, often, many think they have to or should follow the Brierley guide. What happens is that then, everyone is heading for the same destinations which makes the bed search even more difficult particularly during the busy times of the year on the CF. By doing this very thing, I ended up staying in wonderful places like Hontanas, Boadillo, Agés, Foncebadón, Trabadelo, Melide, and Gonzar that most pilgrims just walk on through. Consequently, there wasn't much bed pressure and some of these spots were real gems of the Camino. Buen Camino!

8. Rupert Canales

Wily, your absolutely correct. I also stayed in Hontanas Tosantos, Calle, Ages. Very wonderful places to stay. Calle was just a home off the road that offered a place to say. My experience was exactly what I needed. As a matter of fact, I'm going to stay in more "off" villages this summer having the fresh perspective from last June. Thanks Wily, have enjoyed reading your posts on the camino Portuguese. Already decided on that route next year.