1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Camino, One Of The Safest Places In The World!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Lirsy, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Today I saw a story in the newspaper that surprised me a little:

Spain is the sixth country in the world with the lowest crime rate (after Singapore, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Ireland and Holland). - Data source: World Bank 2015.

If you add to that information that crime is largely concentrated in the larger cities, it is clear that the Camino is one of the safest places in the world.

Obviously, do not leave your luggage unattended (especially in airports, bus stations, etc.) ... the normal security measures you take everywhere!

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!!

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Lirsy, I totally agree with it. After I finished my first Camino it was like wake up after beautiful dream- on Camino, in albergues you can leave your backpack and all things nearly everywhere (of course except money and valuables) but then I returned home through Barcelona and on airports and bus station there was warnings: don't leave your.....unattended. So I said to myself: welcome to real world:(
    So yes- one of safest, but no totally safe. Not all people you meet (outside) on the way are caminoists...

Greg Canning likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

The last time I was in London there were signs saying to not leave anything unattended. The worry was that it might be a bomb.

Greg Canning likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Although I do agree with that OP that Spain is a very safe country to visit as well as to go Camino Walking In, people should still take certain precautions as sometimes all isn’t quite as idyllic as it first appears !! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ellow-arrows-led-straight-suspect-s-farm.html

And with personal possessions, yes, there is a good chance that they will be safe when left in the Refugio, but sensible pilgrims still don’t leave valuables laying around and keep money, credit cards and passports on them at all times (Even when going to the bathroom) and at least keep things like camera and mobile phones out of sight !!

I aren’t trying to put a dampener on the thread, just trying to remind people that even when Camino Walking, don’t let your guard drop completely :)

Best Regards

Rob

Greg Canning likes this.
  5. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Yeah, I agree with you. No matter that it is a VERY safe place, it is not, and it will never be, 100% safe.

The example you put (the link) demonstrates this. I think this has been the only murder case (at least is the only one I can remember), but still it happened!! Thinking in many years with an average of maybe 250.000 pilgrims per year and just one case of murder .... I would say is a very good average, but it is clearly 1 murder in excess!!

As I mentioned in my original post, I think that the most dangerous places are the bus and train stations in the bigger cities in which you can easily be stolen all your luggage.

Any how, also as I mentioned, I think that you have ALWAYS to take all the normal safety measures ... as in everywhere.

First safety measure: In case you feel you are in danger .... PHONE THE POLICE!!!! In the emergency services they will speak to you in English and they will never be angry if the complaint result to be unfounded (this applies as much to criminal issues as to any other kind of risky situation - you are lost, injured, etc. ).

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    UnkleHammy, Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  6. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

I have to say that I have found the people of Northern Spain to be absolutely wonderful. Their pride in their home place and in their culture is fantastic. So far, having walked around 460kms of the Camino we have not encountered any difficulties only a warm welcome everywhere we went.

There was one lonely stretch just before Burgos where we felt a bit uncomfortable but that was probably as much to do with our own imaginations as anything else. Two rather big guys seemed to be trailing us for a while but it turned out they were peregrinos just like ourselves!

However it is helpful to know that throughout the EU the emergency number 112 will get you through to police, fire and ambulance services. The service is provided in a number of different languages.

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and danvo like this.