1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Camino Podcast By Dave Whitson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Laurie Ferris, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    There’s a great new resource for people interested in the Camino de Santiago. The Camino Podcast by Dave Whitson is a high quality audio podcast available on both SoundCloud and iTunes. You’ll hear interviews with pilgrims who share stories from the road, some technical aspects of pilgrimage, and some fascinating history. Dave interviewed PhilVolker and Annie O’Neil about Phil’s Camino in Episode 4, and Landon Roussel, author of On the Primitive Way, in Episode 6. He even covered hot topics like blisters and snoring in Episode 8. As he says, “The snorchestra is in full effect. . .”

I can appreciate his sense of humor, clear voice and passion for sharing Camino stories. He’s done something amazing here. Listen below: Continue reading →

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Laurie, Magwood alerted me to Dave Whitson's camino podcast series earlier this year. The first podcast we listened to was Episode 8 on Blisters and Snoring. I loved it immediately. After listening just a few minutes, my wife joined me and we listened to the episode together. We just loved it. I then went back and listened to all the podcasts that Dave had posted up until that date. I then took Dave up on his suggestion to contact him with possible topics. I suggested he interview a man-wife couple that walked the camino together. We were thrilled when he decided to interview us (second portion of "Walking with Family"). Since then I've listened to all his podcasts - today I completed episode 27 and have queued up episode 28 on Franco and Compostela to listen to next. The topics are quite varied and Dave does a terrific job interviewing guests and offers his own insights and good humor to each podcast.

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  3. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Hi Bob,
    What a coincidence, I just listened to your podcast this morning! You two were interesting and had some great practical tips. I wondered if you might be the guy who replied to my Parador post about staying in many Paradors in the 70s and a few on your recent Camino. I'm glad to make the connection on this forum and Dave's podcasts. :) I have a lot of podcasts to catch up on, and I agree, they are enjoyable to listen to.
    Laurie

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Laurie, yes, I am the one that commented that when we were based in Geneva we visited Spain each year and I stayed in several of the same paradors you mentioned in your thread. Today I listened to Dave's episode 28 which includes two interviews with experts regarding Francisco Franco and the Camino. This was one of Dave's best podcasts so far. The first time I travelled to Spain was in 1978 for a semester abroad in Valencia. Franco had been dead just 3 years when I arrived. There is a stark contrast of today's Spain compared to my time there in 1978.

Wily likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

In
    In 1959 and 1960 my full family visited Europe. When we were in Russia we saw no outside magazines and didn't expect to. When we got to Spain Time magazine was frequently "not available", this was the first time that I noticed censoring of a free press. I was 17-18 at the time and it was a real shock. I guess that I should thank Franco for that contact withe reality.

Wily likes this.
  6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

It's funny how so many of us have our Franco-type moment that made an impression on us. I made my first trip to Europe in the summer of 1970 after my freshman year at the university. After a pre-arranged job in southern France fizzled pretty quickly, I had rest of the summer to travel. Hitchhiking, I met some other young people and off to Spain we went crossing the Pyrenees for the first time. Somewhere along the way over the mountains we were stopped by Franco's soldiers, complete with machine guns, told to get out of the car, and thoroughy searched before being allowed to go on our way. What an eye-opener that was for an 18 year old having an automatic weapon pointed at you without any real understsnding of what was going on. Although I have had similar experiences like thst in recent years in Mexico and Central America, nothing is more memorable than the first time one feels so helpless in a far off land.

BROWNCOUNTYBOB and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

The only place on our trip that we had to deal with someone and an automatic weapons was in Yugoslavia. Of course when I almost bumped into a customs official at the Spain Gibraltar boarder it resulted in the only full baggage inspection of the full year of driving around .

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

For those of you that follow Dave Whitson's camino podcasts, he posted one yesterday after seven months of bad weather, bad politics and very busy schedule.

Laurie Ferris likes this.