1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Catalan Independence Movement And Possible Impact On Camino's

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJS, Oct 4, 2017.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Like most people, I expect that members of this forum will be wondering if this latest trouble stemming from The Catalan Independence Movement will begin to affect travel in the rest of Spain and start to impact on even the more popular Camino’s such as The Camino Frances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...s-travel-advice-violence-latest-a7980786.html

At least so far, In the UK, The FCO is offering some limited caution at this time and holidaymakers would be well advised to monitor updates from the Foreign Office https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

So – For now, it looks like we should monitor the situation and keep our fingers crossed that the troubles don’t spread to the rest of Spain.

Best Regards

Rob

2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Raymond John

I arrived back from my latest walk on Sunday last (the day of the referendum). We flew out of Madrid. We had walked from Fromista to Leon. The situation in Catalunya was being reported on the Spanish news in almost every bar and cafe we visited and things obviously seemed to be pretty tense in Catalunya. However I have to say we didn't feel any tenseness on the Camino route itself or in the towns or cities. I did see quite a bit of police presence around the entrance to the pedestrian areas and markets in Leon on Saturday but that is probably related to other recent distressing events.

Despite the events in Catalunya last Sunday I view Spain, the Spanish, Catalans and Basques as very civilised people and I would be very surprised if this issue is not ultimately resolved in a civilised manner. I don't think I would consider changing my travel plans to Spain in the near future, of course I would be careful and follow advice from the relevant authorities but I really can't see this issue negatively affecting anyone going on Camino. Of course I hope the matter gets resolved peaceably and soon.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Dennis White

Dennis White New Member

Planning our walk from Leon departing 'down under' in June next year. Have no qualms at all with our planned Camino . Was in the UK earlier this year in between the last two murderous events and with not meaning to trivialise, probably more chance of coming to grief crossing the road . Nothing short of civil war should impact on future Camino travel and the chances of that are less than minimal. As with all risks that life throws up, be aware and proceed accordingly.

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

FYI Helpful information from an International Travel Advisory I receive each day. Bob

Spain: Continue to expect, avoid further demonstrations amid tensions over Catalonian independence declaration (Revised)

Level: Advisory

Category: Political unrest, Protest rally

Last Updated: 28 Oct 2017 12:51 GMT

Members in Spain over the coming days should expect and avoid further demonstrations over the Catalonia autonomous region's controversial declaration of independence on 27 October. The Spanish government subsequently triggered Article 155 of the constitution, revoking Catalonia's autonomy and dissolving the local parliament. A pro-unity march will take place in the regional capital Barcelona on 29 October, with activists gathering on Passeig de Gracia from 12.00 (local time). Earlier, pro-unity demonstrators on 27 October attacked the Catalunya Radio complex on Avinguda Diagonal in Barcelona.

ADVICE
    • Travel to Catalonia can continue; however, members should avoid all gatherings linked to the issue of Catalonian independence due to the risk of localised unrest. Forthcoming protests are likely to be well-attended. Plan routes bypassing them as a precaution and to minimise travel delays.
    • Localised scuffles are possible during related gatherings; leave an area at the first sign of disturbances. Possible flashpoint areas in Barcelona (see map below) include Placa de Catalunya, Passeig de Gracia, the Catalan parliament building and Placa de la Universitat.
    • There has so far been no impact on operations at train stations and airports in affected cities, including Barcelona's El Prat International Airport (BCN). However, disruption is possible in the coming days.
    • Expect heightened security across Catalonia; follow all official directives.
    • Liaise with local contacts and monitor our Spain alerts to remain apprised of developments.
    MORE DETAIL

Demonstrations for and against Catalonia's independence are liable to continue in over the coming days. They are most likely to occur in central areas of Barcelona, around government buildings and on main thoroughfares, and may attract large crowds. The situation remains tense in Catalonia; as such, localised clashes between the police and protesters, as well as between rival groups of protesters, are possible during such gatherings, posing incidental risks to bystanders. Pro-unity rallies in other parts of Spain are more likely to pass off peacefully, but may cause localised disruption.

The independence declaration followed the controversial 1 October referendum in the region, which Spain's Constitutional Court ruled was illegal, but which proceeded amid localised clashes between police officers and voters. The arrest on 16 October of two senior Catalan independence activists for their role in banned protests on 20 September further strained relations, triggering further protests.

The central government has dissolved the Catalan parliament and dismissed Catalan president Carles Puigdemont and chief of police Josep Lluis Trapero. The government has called for regional elections on 21 December, with Spanish vice president Soraya Saenz de Santamaria serving as acting president of Catalonia in the interim. Additional measures to be applied under Article 155 in the coming months include the central government's assumption of control over regional police, finances and public broadcasters until a new regional administration has been sworn in. Furthermore, secessionist Catalan parliamentarians may be arrested, given that Spain's constitution makes no provision for a self-determination vote.