Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

The Catalan Independence Movement And Possible Impact On Camino's

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJS, Oct 4, 2017.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Like most people, I expect that members of this forum will be wondering if this latest trouble stemming from The Catalan Independence Movement will begin to affect travel in the rest of Spain and start to impact on even the more popular Camino’s such as The Camino Frances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...s-travel-advice-violence-latest-a7980786.html

At least so far, In the UK, The FCO is offering some limited caution at this time and holidaymakers would be well advised to monitor updates from the Foreign Office https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

So – For now, it looks like we should monitor the situation and keep our fingers crossed that the troubles don’t spread to the rest of Spain.

Best Regards

Rob

2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Raymond John

I arrived back from my latest walk on Sunday last (the day of the referendum). We flew out of Madrid. We had walked from Fromista to Leon. The situation in Catalunya was being reported on the Spanish news in almost every bar and cafe we visited and things obviously seemed to be pretty tense in Catalunya. However I have to say we didn't feel any tenseness on the Camino route itself or in the towns or cities. I did see quite a bit of police presence around the entrance to the pedestrian areas and markets in Leon on Saturday but that is probably related to other recent distressing events.

Despite the events in Catalunya last Sunday I view Spain, the Spanish, Catalans and Basques as very civilised people and I would be very surprised if this issue is not ultimately resolved in a civilised manner. I don't think I would consider changing my travel plans to Spain in the near future, of course I would be careful and follow advice from the relevant authorities but I really can't see this issue negatively affecting anyone going on Camino. Of course I hope the matter gets resolved peaceably and soon.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Dennis White

Dennis White New Member

Planning our walk from Leon departing 'down under' in June next year. Have no qualms at all with our planned Camino . Was in the UK earlier this year in between the last two murderous events and with not meaning to trivialise, probably more chance of coming to grief crossing the road . Nothing short of civil war should impact on future Camino travel and the chances of that are less than minimal. As with all risks that life throws up, be aware and proceed accordingly.