Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

The French part of the Camino

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Hadla, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hadla

Hadla New Member

Hi
    I would like to know if anyone has walked any of the four ways of St James in France, i.e. Chemin de Paris, Chemin de Vezelay, Chemin de Le Puy or Chemin d'Arles. The way starting in Le Puy seems to be the most popular, judging from the material I have found on the Internet.
    For someone who is interested in walking from one small French village to another through beautiful countryside, what would be the best choice in June?
    Hadla

2. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

The Le Puy route is beautiful in June. A wonderful route.

But so is the Vezelay route. The Vezelay route is much quieter.

3. Hadla

Hadla New Member

Thank you very much. How far did you go? How much time did you spend?

4. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

Hi Hadla

I've walked the from Le Puy - SDC once, I've walked the section between Le Puy and Conques (200kms) several times because it is so beautiful.

I haven't walked the Vezelay section but I have been hospitalier there and know the trail somewhat. I will be hospitalier again this June in one of the refuges there. I really liked this route. It is very quiet and very French/rural/ beautiful. Lovely towns/villages and green countryside.

The refuges are on a donativo basis, and at no time was the 8 bed refuge filled (July). I think around 600 a year pass on this route.

I still think that the Le Puy route is a gem and has been a point of pilgrimage for 1000 years. You couldn't go wrong on this marvellous way. June would let you miss the French holiday time, when many go on this walk. I passed along it in July, and there was a constant flow of pilgrims - lovely to meet but I don't know if this filled the refuges. June is a fabulous month to walk in France.

Please let us know what you decide and keep us up to date with what you do.

Bon chemin!

I have no experience of the other ways but I read good things about them, tho' I think the Arles way eventually hits some very up and down country - a bit tiring.

5. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

To clarify what I said.....I said I "passed along it in July" - I meant this year, by vehicle, and could see the numbers of walkers from Le Puy right into Spain. Then I took the Atlantic road in Spain, and continued to see numbers of pilgrims on that route.

I first walked Le Puy-SDC in the month of June long ago, when few did this way, so my info about refuges (gites d'etapes) is not up to date.

I should also say that Le Puy - SDC took about two months. The Le Puy - Conques section is about 200 kms and 10 days.

I hope you walk on one of the French ways - they are top class!!

6. Gazza

Gazza Member

Le Puy route Atlantic. Any idea as to how the weather would be around Aug/Sept. Is it similar to The French Way?
    Also, do the Albergues operate in the same manner, I read somewhere that it was suggested to book ahead which is much different to Spain.
    Also (lastly) is English common along Le Puy or do I need to learn some French

7. crashwest2830

crashwest2830 New Member

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone out there can help me. I will be walking from Le Puy to Roncesvalles in September next year with a friend. Last year I walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre - 31 days - had a great time.

Anyway, I came across, at one stage of my research, a website put together by a fellow pelerin that had all the gites d'etapes along the way with distances between each and other information all on a spreadsheet so you could enter your own data. Now I can't find the link.

Has anyone come across this very useful site and would you mind posting it here please if you have it? In advance, thank you for your help.