1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lesson Of Ticks I Wish I Didn’t Have To Learn So Hard

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mick cope, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mick cope

Mick cope New Member

As a relative newbie to Camino life - I learnt a big lesson last week. After arriving home from the San Salvador I looked down to see a small friend had travelled with me from spain!!!!

After removing the tick a visit to the doctor resulted with me being hit with a three week course of antibiotics.

The lesson is check every day for the little buggers. This one had been with me for a few days and so there may be a risk of Lymes. Fingers crossed it won’t be

Mick

2. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Been there, done that, although not on the Camino. In June I discovered a tick, and a number of day later had red circles on my legs, and went to the doctor just before heading on a trip to Europe (not Camino related). That 21 day prescription also made me sun sensitive, which meant I had loads of sunscreen, long pants, long shirt sleeves, and tried to avoid the sun during the hot days of June. I arrived back home 18 days later only to discover the blood test came back negative. I did not experience any ticks on the Camino Frances two years ago, although I do not recall any instances where I walked into tall grass or out into the woods. This is the first that I have heard of ticks on the Camino.

What I typically do is spray my legs or pants from the knees down with repellent, and I have never found a tick on my body when I have used repellent. Others who were with me at the same time without repellent did find ticks on themselves.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Mick cope likes this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Mick, my wife and I own a "casa del campo" (second home) in Brown County, approx 1 hour's drive south of Indianapolis. The combined property is mostly woods (193 acres), some grass areas, a few lakes/ponds and lots of great hiking trails. Beginning each spring, we're always on the alert for ticks. Those buggers are quite sneaky and can drop onto clothes and find a way to make connection with skin. Whenever I go outside, I tuck my long pants into long socks and spray my pants legs, socks and shoes. I also wear long sleeve shirts and a hat. When I'm out in the field, I sometimes notice a live tick on my pants leg, which I brush off. If I work up a good sweat, cutting the grass, working in my veggie garden, or just enjoying a good hike, when I come inside I take a shower, and again check my entire body for ticks. Even with this prevention and caution, I've found ticks inside my bathroom where I've disrobed, or a day or so later have found ticks bored into my skin by my armpit. I am probably not as careful as I've need to be extracting those buggers. I apply alcohol and neosporin daily to the wound. A few bites have become enlarged and are itchy for up to two weeks, but I've not found it necessary to go to a doctor. We've not experienced ticks on our last caminos, but do spray our gear with permethrin before we go and attach Zlip / Z fence to our backpacks. I learned that these can also prevent bed bugs, so last camino I attached the clip to my lanyard which I carried around my neck or suspended about our bed at night.

Here's a photo:
    [​IMG]

Hope all pilgrims can hike tick free during your camino !

Bob

UnkleHammy and Mick cope like this.
  4. Mick cope

Mick cope New Member

Ah that is great Thanks I will investigate

Mick

5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Out here in California we have ticks too. I used to have to go into the hills and I have found that if my long legged pants and long sleeved shirts have been treated with paraetheum then I no longer get ticks. In years gone by it was normal to find one or two ticks on me every time I went out.

Mick cope likes this.
  6. Mick cope

Mick cope New Member

Cheers I have ordered some - fingers crossed that will help

ta

UnkleHammy likes this.