Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

The Moment I Decided To Walk.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Terry Wilson, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

I am sixty eight and live in New Zealand.
    About eight years ago one of my sisters died she was a non as is the other one still alive.
    So we are Catholic. I decided to go to confession first time in twenty years there was some ugly stuff in there and I was face to face with the priest .How damed embarrassing. He told me for my penance to read some bits of st James.
    I can make excuses for why I never got around to reading it but basically I was just to lazy .
    Eight years later I watch the film The Way. I ether decided right then or I was told by some one or some thing that Terry you were to lazy to read St James so now you are going to walk it. (should have read it)
    So that,s how I decided.
    I start in August this year.
    Are there other stories out there as to how you! decided to walk the Camino.

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Terry, my passion for all things Spanish began in 1978. I spent the spring semester abroad during my junior year in college. Before that trip, I had never been on a plane, train, boat or subway before. A Spanish widow hosted three of us and this was her main source of income. We took classes at the University of Valencia and all the classes were taught in Spanish. Three years later I graduated with an MBA and decided to travel before I began my professional career. I spent the summer in Europe - spending two of the three months in Spain. Fast forward into my career, my family and I relocated to Geneva, Switzerland for three years. Each Christmas break, we headed to Spain for 10 days. We mostly stayed in paradors. After we relocated back to the USA, my job allowed me to travel to Madrid from time to time. A few years before my retirement, I learned about the camino and decided I'd walk the camino frances after I retired. My wife joined me for the full trip in 2015. So we're now hooked and will walk camino frances again in September. My enthusiasm for Spain remains. I told my wife I want to walk the camino every two years until my health does not allow. At some point, we'll need to decide whether to rewalk the CF (like visiting an old friend) or try a different route.

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Good Question – Why do we walk Camino’s ??

The nearest reason that I can come up with hasn’t anything to do with religion or the like and try to explain “Why" I will have to use the quote of another famous New Zealander and say “Because it is there” :)

I wrote a small piece for our local magazine on the same subject that might be of interest http://www.trpub.net/assets/applets/Tethera_08_March_2017-1.pdf#page=34

Best Regards

Rob

4. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Cat Stevens sang "I'm on the road to find out". On those occasions when I have been confronted by some life crisis or 'fork' in my personal life I have taken to the road to find out the answer, the way ahead. I took to the road when I was 30 after a key relationship breakdown crisis, arrived in Alice Springs in the Northern Territory of Australia and shortly after was baptised into the fiery love of Christ Jesus. Thirty years down the track I have retired from full time work and am taking to the Camino to find out what the next phase of my life will look like. We are all pilgrims journeying on the Way of Life to our final destinations.

5. Terry Wilson

6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

For me, the reason was originally based on my wife having a "great idea...". I had recently released from the military, and the thought of walking across a country with a pack seemed odd...been there/done that. My wife had me watch the movie the Way, and 6 ways to Santiago. Both made me reconsider my first reaction. Speed forward, and you find I embraced the entire idea and found that I could walk and re-discover joy, and a peace and settling of past demons. Thanks to the Camino for that, and to all that touched my wife and i's life on the walk.
    Now I just hope others find the pure joy that I did.

7. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Terry - I'm reminded of the scene between the SJPP Police Captain and Tom Avery (Martin Sheen) in the film The Way. Captain Henri tries to get Tom to understand that you walk the Camino for yourself. Everyone seems to have their own reason although it might not be clear to them just as they start out. Or, the reason may change as they walk and experience the magic the Camino.

The single best book that I have run across addressing the meaning of the pilgrimage is Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. In a relatively short, parable-style presentation, Coelho captures the essence of why one journeys quite well. Whether you have already walked a Camino or are yet to set out, I'd suggest that it is a must read.

8. veworley

veworley New Member

Three years ago today I was lying on my sofa, glass of wine in hand, and feeling very depressed and sorry for myself. I had injured my back a few months earlier and was in really terrible pain and could barely hobble across the living room. Getting up and down was excrutiating. A friend had sent me a stack of DVDs (I live in Panama and streaming or Netflix is often not possible). I selected one at random and started watching...The Way. At the end of it, I sat up and declared that I, too, would walk the Camino in two years, on my 65th birthday. My back began to heal within the week (new therapist, new deterimination). The two year mark came and went, due to family issues. However, I turn 66 on April 30 and my partner and I will set out from SJPP that morning, bound for Muxia. Life is good. Buen Camino!

9. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I am diabetic and had bariatric surgery which helped me to lose 130 pounds. After I lost the weight I needed a new goal to keep me exercising. I am not really sure about when or where I heard about the Camino the first time, but somehow this idea kept coming into my head. I decided to take the walk, and consequently change my life.

I was not really sure why I was walking until I got to Cruz de Ferro. For whatever reason that day turned into one of the most emotional of my life (I was 60 at the time I walked), and I finally understood why I was walking.

Fortunately I actually caught that moment of discovery on video. If you are interested in seeing it you can find it at this link...

10. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Well done!! I felt that way when I got my Compostela - totally didn't see the emotion coming. You seem like such a nice person. Thanks for the video - it was fun to revisit all that, although I have to say I'm grateful in this moment NOT to be hiking on that 10K of geological upheavals pretending to be a path that day before Molinaseca:0)).

11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Veworley......inspiring turn of events. I understand the emotions you felt while on the
    couch! When in so much pain, and then for an extending length of time, it starts to play
    with your mind. Your joy for life starts to diminish and you wonder if you will ever get
    better enough to have fun again! Ah.....new passion about ANYTHING will start to revive
    you. Thrilled to hear that you will be on your WAY soon!
    HOLD FAST TO DREAMS
    FOR IF DREAMS DIE,
    LIFE IS A BROKEN
    WINGED BIRD THAT
    CANNOT FLY. -Longston Hughes

12. Mary

Mary Member

I too was inspired by the movie "The Way." After I watched it I called my daughter. She was just starting her first year of Medical School in Miami. I told her to watch the movie and call me when she was done. We both decided that we were going to walk the Camino together. Our original plan was to walk it after she finished Medical School but our plans changed when she found out that the only vacation she would get for many years was at the end of her first year. She only gets 6 weeks after the first year so we will be walking starting June 5th from SJPP. I can't express how much information and Love I have found on this site. Thank you all!

13. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    My story is similar to many. My first experience of the Camino came at a retreat at which the presenter linked his own Camino completed a couple of years earlier with the spect of "journey". he showed snippets of the movie "the Way" during it. After the retreat I went home with an inkling and watched the whole movie with my wife and we both came to the same thought at exactly the same moment - one day we would do this together. Shortly after, I was offered the opportunity to take a sabbatical from work (Catholic Primary School Principal) and immediately started planning our trip together to include 6 weeks walking the Camino de Santiago. Whilst the impetus came from the option of leave from work - the result was life changing for us both during that period from April 14, 2015 - May 26, 2015. Its effect is still tangible in my life and how i view the world - and, which keeps my boss happy, how I interact with the community of my school.

14. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Yes - C4S - that was a rough track - though the scenery was amazing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  15. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Thanks for sharing, Steve, i think you have expressed many things that we all experience at some time on the Camino - whether it be at Cruz de Ferro or at Santiago. :)

Attached Files:

UnkleHammy and James Orrock like this.
  16. James Orrock

Hey, Gerry - what's the weather doing in Newcastle today? It has been raining quite heavily in Sydney earlier this morning but appears to be fining up now. I hope my Camino starting in September later this year will be as life changing / enhancing as yours in 2015. The path the day before Molinaseca sounds pretty rough. I will be taking my well-worn trusty Scarpa boots in that case. Sometimes the Camino road gets hairy it seems but I will try to admire the scenery while I am travelling along it!

17. Wily

Hey James - If your Camino isn't life changing, it will at least be enhancing! It's an experience that encourages taking perspective of where you've been and where you're heading. Your investment to do the pilgrimage will pay off many fold!

Don't wory anout the road! In fact, the CF is quite hiker friendly. There are a few good challenges, but you'll be finely equipped for them I'm sure. So, admire the scenery and enjoy this journey. Buen Camino!

18. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Weather her his showery - enough to get me out of mowing the lawn. we are walking the Aussie Camino at the end of April. Hope the weather for your Camino is kind to you. Remember this - the Rain in Spain falls everywhere -- not just the plain.

19. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

I read a book published by a local guy and his daughter. Buen Camino. Peter and Natasha Murtagh . An inspiration and then I went to Spain to walk. twice and I am going again this year.
    Try it and see.

20. James Orrock

Hey again, Gerry. I have not heard about the Aussie Camino. Where does it begin and where will I end up if I walk along it?

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  21. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    G'day James, Sorry to take so long to respond. I was in Melbourne getting ready for my Aussie Camino. My blog explains it pretty well i think - take a look at https://gerryvaussie.edublogs.org if you are still interested? I have just returned but the last day is not yet written. But it finishes in Penola.

22. Wily

Hey Gerry - Thanks for sharing your blog. I, too, like James, wasn't aware of The Camino Down-under! Love your photos! The bandaged foot brought back memories of my own feet on the CF last year. Never having seen a kangaroo in the wild must be something special although fairly commonplace for you Aussies. You won't see that in Spain! Glad you had a great journey! Where are you off to next? Buen Camino!

James Orrock likes this.
  23. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    G'day Wily, thanks for taking the time to read the blog. Luckily the bandages foot wasn't mine - it was my poor wife's - though she never complained once and i could hardly keep up - yes we saw lots of kangaroos - even a few boxing ones. We are planning another Camino Frances in 2020. Too far in the future away for my liking - but that's when the time becomes available. Buen Camino:)

Attached Files:

James Orrock and Wily like this.
  24. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Wily - just checked out your Portuguese postings - very nice Camino it seems - maybe one day after our Frances again. :)

Wily likes this.
  25. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Gerry, Just finished reading your Aussie Blog. Totally enjoyed it! I too wasn't aware of
    a Camino shared with kangaroo's! The Blue Lagoon looked amazing, and the deserted beaches
    and cliffs sounded wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing the history of the area. I loved
    the salute of your poles in honor and respect. After experiencing your blog.....I felt almost
    overwhelmed by the emotion of how little I know about our earth. I don't know if it is my age
    (having lived more years than I have left), but I really have the need to cherish every single
    moment I spend with family, friends, new acquaintances , and exploring as MUCH as I can!!
    Thanks again. WE ARE BUT TRAVELLERS HERE

26. James Orrock

Loved your Aussie Camino blog, Gerry. Portland to Penola in the footsteps of St Mary of the Cross Mackillop. The references to the Bledisloe Cup and Anzac Day may be lost on some of our international companeros. You may need to do some cross cultural translating!

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  27. Terry Wilson

Hi all I can explain the bledisloe cup. I t is a sporting cup between New Zealand and Australia for rugby the aussies keep playing for it and us Kiwis keep winning it .:);)o_O

28. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

And this year you have the Lions tour. Naturally I can't wish you guys good luck :) Can't wait for it to start

29. Terry Wilson

I had forgotten about the lions .
    God bless you too Greg.;)

Greg Canning likes this.
  30. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    I knew there would be one somewhere , gloating :)

Greg Canning likes this.