Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

The Moment I Decided To Walk.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Terry Wilson, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Debbie

Debbie New Member

I've been counting the years since my recovery from cancer. It's been 2 years since my last chemo treatment and I'm still wondering how I could of gotten ovarian cancer. I asked God why? I ate well, exercised all the time and had no family history. So how could this happen? When I took a look back at how it all came about I guess finding out I had cancer was a miracle in itself but I still questioned why. Walking the Camino has been at the top of my bucket list for a very longtime and I felt that at the age of 62 I couldn't wait any longer. So I will start my walk around the 10th of September with a good friend. First though I will be first travelling to Lourdes then SJPP. After completing the Camino I plan to travel from Santiago de Compostella to Fatima in Portugal. I have some questions regarding travel and places to stay before and after the Camino. So here goes: I am flying into Toulouesse and wondering if anyone has a good place to stay there. I am then traveling to Lourdes the next day and planning to stay a few nights there. Any suggestions on how to get to Lourdes (train or bus) or where I might stay. From there to SJPP (train or bus?):rolleyes:

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Debbie - So glad to hear that it's time to complete this important bucket-list project.

With regards to finding accomodations, I've had great luck with Booking.com. Depending on your budget, you should be able to find a number of good options in both Toulouse and Lourdes on the Booking site. Speaking of reservations, please be sure to book your bed in both SJPP and Roncesvalles. September is a busy time so you'll want to take care of this as soon as possible. If you're planning an overnight in Orisson, reserve there as well.

Here is the SNCF website for the French trains:

http://www.sncf.com/

As you'll see you can take the train from Lourdes, but there are two connections and it takes about 5 hours. Nothing particularly direct! I'm not sure if you can do better by bus. But, the 20€ fare seemed reasonable. It's just a two hour train ride from Toulouse to Lourdes. I hope this information helps with your travel plans. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet and James Orrock like this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Debbie, my story is similar. I was in good health, exercised regularly and was diagnosed with testicular cancer at the age of 44. Fortunately, surgery and radiation were effective and that was 13 years ago. After working 34 years for the same company, I retired at the end of 2014. My wife and I walked the camino frances two years ago, and we are walking it again. We begin in SJPDP two days before you so perhaps our paths will cross. My brother and his wife are walking the entire camino with us.

4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Debbie...My Camino is still in the future, but you are in great hands with the seasoned Pilgrims who graciously offer their wisdom on this site.
    I am sure that you have been through so many challenges and life changes since your diagnosis. Asking God 'WHY" is usually our first human response. I stopped asking WHY. I now ask WHAT....what do you want to teach me? That changed my life. Debbie, I bet that through your personal crisis, you have become so courageous. Cancer doesn't seem to pick and choose whose body it's going to invade. I found out that it DOES NOT under any circumstances, invade your heart. It CANNOT kill loving friendships or memories that you have with other people. I am thrilled that you are heading to the Camino. Treasure every moment, kick fear to the wayside, laugh often, and may you find complete peace and hope.
    I love this poem from Helen Keller:
    DARK AS MY PATH MAY SEEM TO OTHERS, I CARRY A MAGIC LIGHT IN MY HEART. FAITH, THE SPIRITUAL STRONG SEARCH LIGHT, ILLUMINES THE WAY AND ALTHOUGH SINISTER DOUBTS LURK IN THE SHADOW, I WALK UNAFRAID TOWARD THE ENCHANTED WOOD WHERE THE FOLIAGE IS ALWAYS GREEN, WHERE JOY ABIDES, WHERE NIGHTINGALES NEST AND SING, AND WHERE LIFE AND DEATH ARE ONE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD.