1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Moment I Decided To Walk.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Terry Wilson, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Hi to James and Hindsy I value both of your replies and the good news is the first walk in Aug, was fantastic in all manner and I intend to go back in 2021 it is a holy year so I believe .

James Orrock, Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Hi Terry, wow....you have come a long way. I know that you were dealing with immense loss not long ago. I hope that the Camino has helped you heal in many ways. Sometimes it is so helpful to just be alone with your thoughts, and to be silent....so that we can hear that reassuring still small voice speak unconditional love, encouragement, strength and truth to our soul. The BEST is yet to come.

James Orrock and Wily like this.
  3. Terry Wilson

Hindsy I went the first time to meet two old friend that I used to know and understand and they knew and understood me but we drifted apart over the years. But I meet them both on the Camino and now I have a good relationship with both of them and them with me.
    One friend was God and the other was Me.

4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

ahhhhhh.....restored relationships, GREAT NEWS my friend!

James Orrock and Wily like this.
  5. Terry Wilson

Yes and it is good.

James Orrock, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry, thanks for this........

James Orrock, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  7. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Terry - As you found out, the Camino provides in so many unexpected ways. Most of us have our stories of how we have been assisted at the most unlikely, but needed, times. Knowing that assistance in the spiritual realm is out there as well makes the journey all that more special. I like what Hindsy said about the power of being alone with your thoughts. To be able to have time for introspection may be the greatest gift The Way has to offer. Buen Camino!

James Orrock, hindsfeet and danvo like this.
  8. Terry Wilson

First thank you all who have an empathy for my words.. A lot of my friends at home struggle with these sentiments .
    Willy you are right on to it in what you have said. I am that sad about the outcome of the last Camino that my wife said two days ago dont worry about the cost get on a plane this month and go back and re walk the camino and make it right with your self. Even a councilor said the same thing yesterday. go back.
    But many people at here at home say well get out and walk some of our tracks. Yes we have some beautiful walks in New Zealand. BUT it is not the same I just cant get it through to people what the Camino does for a person I struggle for a good word to describe the Camino all I can come up with is SPECIAL I am going back for the holy year 2021 if not before
    God bless you all.

9. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I am Ex-Army, and not really known as the most emotional and emotive of individuals. I can say however, that the Camino inspired something in me I found very healing, and hard to describe. The fact I walked with my beautiful wife beside me every inch made it that much more incredible.
    We are hoping to find some of the same when we go to Portugal in about 23 days, and I am hoping the temp drops a bit and some of the wild fires subside...but that is just stuff.
    Terry, the Camino is for you, don't let others dictate how you should feel. If you want to do it....step forth, but keep all of in the loop, we support you, as everyone here has been such a support to me!

10. Wily

Hey Terry - I think the word SPECIAL is as good as any to capture the uniqueness of walking a Camino. I don’t want to imply that other walks aren’t special in various ways because, of course, each trek has its own unique and memorable qualities. It is difficult to explain to someone who hasn’t walked The Way why the Camino is more than just heading out for a long hike. As CW said, you will know when it is right for you to walk. I walked the CF in a Holy Year (2016). It seemed even more special although putting my finger on exactly why has alluded me, but perhaps it was because it was my first Camino and my expectations for this experience were met many times over. I enjoy hiking here at home in the Adirondacks, but as you observed, it’s not the same. Nonetheless, look ahead to your next Camino with excitement and anticipation and all that it will bring you on Your Way back to Santiago. Buen Camino!

James Orrock, danvo and hindsfeet like this.
  11. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry, this is exactly the same what I feel... "walk" and "walk" is not the same. Camino is very special path and time, very different from all (although beautiful) other. I think thanks to millions of prayers through centuries is The Way very special. And my addition: "I am THE WAY and the truth and the life." (John 14,6); Yo soy EL CAMINO, y la verdad, y la vida - and this is reason why I always say: Camino is like walking in heart of Jesus.
    Sorry for my english. God bless you all!

12. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

I believe you need a fair bit of sugar to make lemonade out of lemons, hindsfeet. Sorry for the prolonged absence from the forum, I've been preoccupied with the aftermath of my mother's passing from planet earth. Dealing with funeral directors, lawyers, prospective buyers and real estate agents is passing strange. Anyhow, my Camino dream is still alive! I hope to depart for Spain next year in Autumn or Spring. Just did the 14km City2Surf fun run yesterday to try to keep in reaonable shape for the Camino. Met a Canadian lady on the train into the Sydney CBD who had just stepped off the plane, was on her way to the Hilton to stow her luggage and then straight on to the start line to catch up with her partner and do the run. The world is an amazing place.

hindsfeet, danvo and Wily like this.
  13. Wily

Hey James - The world is indeed an amazing place. Whether one finds it halfway around the world walking a Camino or in their own backyard with family and friends, it all needs to be appreciated and held on to as long as possible. City2Surf fun run sounds great! I run this coming Friday evening to support one of my favorite causes - a cure for Alzheimer’s (my father dealt with this terrible disease late in his life). Best of all, I will run with my 10 year old grandson which helps me focus on why we are there and not see the run as just another competition. Buen Camino James!

hindsfeet and danvo like this.