1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Old Man In The Lane

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Terry Wilson, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

I have checked back through my previous posts to see if I have told this story before I hope not I can go on at times.;)I can not get this experience out of my mind since it happend in September 2017 on my first walk.
    First you need to understand that I am Catholic and associate with religious orders at time as two of my sisters are sisters of mercy in New Zealand.But I was walking to find my faith.
    The next fact is that I did the first walk partly for my grand daughter she died from Cystic Fibrosis at the age of seventeen. I would most times wear a T shirt with her picture on it as a fund raiser for Cystic Fibrosis.
    It was a hot day in a quiet lane just out side a village I can not tell you which village as at times I never new where I was. It dose not matter.
    An old Spanish man slowed as he was passing me and said to me Italiano? I said non New Zealand and with that he stopped and spoke to me in quite good English. After a while of chatting he gestured to my T shirt and said and who is Maddie as her picture and name was on the front
    I explained how she had died a year before and I was showing a lot of emotion with it..
    Then the most wonderful experience of my camino happend.
    He first kissed his fingers of his right hand then reached forward strait through my personal space and pressed his fingers to the face of Maddie on my T shirt then made the sign of the cross on himself and said I will pray for your Maddie and said quote" She will be alright." Then held out his hand not in a hand shake but with his palm facing up so I placed my hand on his hand ,he then covered my hand with his other one and so I was left with one hand left and I brought it up to cover his hand that he had offered first. So we stood there for about thirty or forty seconds two old men that four minuets ago had never met each other before and would never meet again. Here we were holding hands.Then we dropped our hands away and with a warm smile of peace and understanding, from the old man, he walked away.
    I related this story to some Sisters of Mercy at a gathering some months ago and one looked me strait in the eye and said. Are you sure it was just an old Spanish man?. No I am not sure and I know that is a very big call to make. God bless.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Terry
    Thank you for sharing this God moment with us and the deep ever lasting effect it's had on you, your family and friends. You are probley still wondering where did this all come from, why did it happen and why me !. Remember the quotation"God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform ". Yes it's about Maddie and the deep healing you received, but it occurs to me it's much more that that. I can only say, take the blessings you have experienced and received and look forward to the future and your destiny with hope and loving kindness in the heart go God. What I'm really trying to say, God has not finished with you Terry. All will be revealed in time and when you least expect it.

As you know, I will be in Rabanal de Camino between 13th Oct - 1st Nov, and will arrange for a Mass to be said for you and your family including Maddie RIP.

Carp Diem

Raymond John

3. Terry Wilson

Thank you That is the most healing thing any one has ever said to me. God bless.

Crepes4Suzette and James Orrock like this.
  4. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Terry, many thanks to you for your sharing this profound moment of meeting the old man in the lane.

Also, gracias Raymond John for reminding me that God has not finished with us and that all will be revealed in time.

Crepes4Suzette, danvo and hindsfeet like this.
  5. Terry Wilson

Hello friends I have fantastic news. Since my first Camino 2017 I have told all of my family about the benefits mentally and spiritually of walking the Camino. I am going back next April.Well my eldest daughter, she is about forty something Is coming with me. I know what she will get out of it I could not be happier for myself and prouder of her. Beun Camino Rebecca.:):).

6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry, this is great!! I'm sure it will be fantastic time for both of you. Hope next year I will go Camino with my wife. :)

7. Terry Wilson

Hello again Danvo and everyone another great thing happened with my daughter coming with me. I told her to get on line and have a look at this site and she did ,the first post she clicked on was (The old man in the lane). Not knowing it was from her Father. How special is that .Something working here:).

danvo, UnkleHammy and James Orrock like this.
  8. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Hola, Señor Terry. If a couple of Sisters of Mercy who also happen to be your birth sisters ask "Are you sure it was just an old Spanish man?" then I would be inclined to think they may be onto something. Very glad your eldest daughter will be walking The Way with you. Go well, my friend. As Raymond John would say "Carpe diem!"
    P.s. The Wallabies are on the improve and may be able to challenge the All Blacks in about 5 or 6 years.

9. Terry Wilson

Thank you James I like people who are brave enough to think the way you do.