1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I Wish I Had Brought On The Camino And Things I Wish I Hadn't

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by JFK, Jun 29, 2015.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    “If you wanted something to protect your rucksack that is multi functional then you might be interested in a “Rucksack-Pro-Tector”, I have these ethically manufactured in Nepal myself and they are available to buy on the net at http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/buyonline.html . They also can be used as a water resistant liner and are light, one for a rucksack of up to approx 50L is less than 300g.”

Ernie

Good info already posted above – My own “Two Penneth” would be that it will mainly depend on the size of your rucksack and the “Rules” of the airline that you are flying with – Also if you are taking Trekking Poles, you might have a problem – Finally, you won’t be able to take home any bottles of Spain’s Excellent Wine ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

raymond john likes this.
  2. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Rob
    I have an excellent idea?. Remove all the contents of your backpack including trekking poles and fill it with excellent Spanish wines you brought in the duty free shops.

Cheers - Raymond John

Lipka149 likes this.
  3. Rickyg

Rickyg New Member

We plan to do the Frances and parts of other trails July 17 - Sep 16. Does the Camino del Norte (Costal Route) require warmer clothes than the Frances, even in July & August?

Also, is tenting allowed/recommended on the Norte?

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Ricky

Warmer clothes aren’t required on The Camino Norte in July & August and although I have no personal experiences with camping on The Camino Norte, I met a young lady last year who was carrying a tent and using it occasionally without problems – It will just be a case of careful selection of where you pitch it.

Rob

5. Edmund McCullough

Edmund McCullough New Member

6. Edmund McCullough

I have been thinking a lot about this ! The things I wish I had brought would be first and foremost an open heart and an open mind, some non judgementalism of others and more humility. The things that I brought but did not need included my negative attitudes and opinionated mind ! Edmund.

HelenC, Lipka149, gdavisfe and 2 others like this.
  7. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    Good thinking Edmund! Not everything we take goes in the backpack.

raymond john likes this.
  8. Edmund McCullough

Many thanks for your kind comment Steve. I depart from Dublin on the 1st of August to do Camino del Norte.

stevelm1 likes this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  10. Tom V

Tom V Member

I finished in June and came away with 2 key learnings:

1 Be mindful. Stop every 15 minutes or so to notice where you've been and where you are. Notice what you see, hear and feel.

2 Feel the freedom of the Camino. Leave your irrational fears and guilts behind and appreciate the freedom of knowing that everything you need is in your backpack

11. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    There is a tendency to take too many things along which at the end one never uses.
    Any "china" shop sells all sorts of bits and pieces for a fraction of what one pays at home. A plastic "throw away" poncho for 1 Euro, an imitation army knife for 3 Euros (OK, the cork screw gets literally "screwed up" after a few uses:p), plastic bags, headlights, clothes pegs, etc. Cover your backpack with a large garden garbage bag:cool:
    Apart from that, most albergues have a lost and found corner where you can often find unbelievable left behinds. Walking poles: amazing how many decent poles are laying about.:eek: Just "go light":cool:

12. sean

sean Active Member

Wow,
    There goes my bandana. I will never have the courage to wear it again.
    Sean,
    Dublin

RJS likes this.
  13. msamsoe

msamsoe New Member

I have walked 3 Caminos - in Spain - Pamplona to Santiago, France/Spain - LePuy to Burgos, and Switzerland Brunig Pass to Geneva. Each time ( and other times travelling in the US) my pack has fit in the overhead compartment of the planes without question. I never trust the airlines anymore to put my luggage in the hold. I want it where I can get it. The last trip - May 2015 - my pack and contents weighed 10 pounds, which was the limit my physician gave me after two major back surgeries, required very conscientious packing. No sleeping bag this time so I stayed in Youth Hostels or Alburgues or B&B's in Switzerland. All three treks were in May. No matter what month, I would never travel without my fleece jacket (which also can cover your eyes in the alburgues & hostels) or rain gear. My trip in France/Spain in May 2013 was the coldest/wettest in the 200 year history of weather recording and I had two sets of clothes - my outside wet clothes and my inside dry clothes. This last spring I had my hiking clothes plus a long, lightweight dress, which served well while I was washing the other clothes, to go to church, and also to sleep in. (Of note, I also wore it to my son's wedding recently.) Buen Camino and blessings on your upcoming Camino(s).

LisaB, gdavisfe and JFK like this.
  14. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

I start my Camino next Friday 14th August. Is it necessary to book the albergues in advance?

15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Anna

You can’t book the Municipal Refugio’s in advance – These work on a first come, first served basis – So If you do book your accommodation in advance, then you are restricting yourself to staying in Private Albergue’s and hotels.

Whether you should book them in advance will depend on which route you are walking – However, August is a popular time and, especially if you are walking the later stages of The Camino Frances, then booking your rooms in advance is a good idea – When I say “in advance”, booking a room for that night in the morning will both guarantee you a bed as well as allowing you to maintain some flexibility over the day to day planning of your route

If it is the Camino Frances you are walking then this website has a list of accommodation available, the current prices and contact details http://caminoteca.com/attachments/article/123/Albergues_Camino_Francés_2015.pdf In fact you might want to print it off as it is sure to come in handy for the rest of your walk

Rob

16. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Thank you for the accommodation listing this is so good to have and will print it. I intend to walk from sjjp to Burgos this year and continue again next year.
    Buen Camino

17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Anna

No Problem – Pleased to be of help

Now that I realise that you are setting off from Saint Jean Pied de Port – If you are intending spending a night at Orisson, you should book your room there ASAP at http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

The Refugio’s between there and Burgos won’t be nearly as busy as the ones getting closer to Santiago – So if I were you, I would just see how you go before deciding if it is necessary to book up accommodation in advance – The chances are good that unless you are intending walking long days and not arriving at your chosen overnight destination until late in the afternoon then there won’t be a need to book your bed in advance.

Rob

18. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Thank you Rob. Do you know is the first days walk to Roncesvalles very tough? I had intended to walk the full way on day 1!

19. JFK

JFK Member

Hi Anna,

The first day, if you do the whole thing, is tough but doable. It is a very long day. But it really depends on you fitness level. Breaking it up makes sense for many people but there is not much room at the first Albergue enroute so if you decide to stay here I think you can book ahead. If you are in good shape, I recommend doing the whole thing on the first day; but there will be lots of disagreements on this point in this forum.

20. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Thanks Ben. If we were to do it all the first day what do you think the chances are of getting accommodation in Roncesvalles if we arrive late in the evening?

21. JFK

JFK Member

The Albergue in Roncesvalles is HUGE. I was there in April and there was plenty of room, but not sure how the increased crowds of Aug affect it then. My guess is that you will find a bed though even with a later arrival. I also recommend a good early start on that first day...you will have a hard time sleeping late in SJPP anyway. ;)

22. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

Hi again Anna

When I walked The Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port there wasn’t an Albergue at Orisson, so there was no option but to do the full day to Roncesvalles.

It’s difficult to give you a hard and fast recommendation of which way to “Jump” as there are just too many imponderables, how fit you are, what the weather is doing to name two – But one thought is that, depending on what time you arrive at Saint Jean Pied de Port, rather than stay there, If you can reserve a bed at Orisson then you might consider walking up there that day – It’s a 3 to 4 hour walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson.

However – If that idea doesn’t work and you feel that you are in fairly good shape then doing the full day from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, although challenging, isn’t beyond the reach of most people – As already mentioned, set of as early as possible (This will also get you a long way up the “Hill” before it starts to get Hot) and you should arrive in Roncesvalles mid / late afternoon – I also don’t envisage a problem in finding a bed at the Refugio on Roncesvalles as it is Huge :)

Rob

23. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Thank Rob and Ben That's a good idea we arrive in sjjp at 16:00 approx, do you think that would that be too late to start to Orisson? What time does darkness come over there?

24. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Rob and Ben I was thinking what about walking to Valcarios the first evening that would be about 3.25 hours. There's a municipal hostel there that has 25 beds. How come Valcarios isn't mentioned too often? Thank you for all your help. I think it's the initial decisions that are hard and as was said before when we get on the trail all the worries will deplete and we just go with the moment!!!
    Anna

25. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Anna
    As I mentioned in my last post, when I walked The Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port there wasn’t an Albergue at Orisson so the information I have posted is based on reading about other people’s experiences on their Camino’s and from updated guidebooks.

According to http://caminoteca.com/attachments/article/123/Albergues_Camino_Francés_2015.pdf The Refugio you mention above at Valcarios is 11.6k from the main route, so probably too big a diversion for most Peregrino’s while the one at Orisson is only 1k off the route http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

I aren’t sure what time sunset is but I am sure someone with more local knowledge will be along soon

Rob

26. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

I'm off tomorrow Rob and Ben nervous and excited!! thank you for your help. Will update you on my return

27. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Raymond John, my wife and I purchased cotton storage bags at REI ($14.50 USD). These are large enough to cover our 50 litre Osprey backpacks. We will need to put our packs in the hold since we will be carrying trekking poles, and I will have a leatherman's tool that includes a knife. Rhe storage bag should protect the pack and keep all the straps safe from the conveyer belts. I like your idea of also having the bag shrink wrapped at the airport for added protection. A few questions: where can this be done at the airport, is there a fee charged for doing this, and is this permitted in terms of airport / airplane security? In the US, it used to be possible to place a small lock on luggage, but this is no longer permitted. Thanks, Bob

Cornelius likes this.
  28. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Hi Bob, we were able to schrinkwrap at the Paris airport and is 10euros. It only takes a couple of minutes and looks neat but your bags sound unique also. You will have to carry them around but you may find other uses for them. Have a safe trip. Maya

29. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Hello Anna we stayed at the Volcarlos municipal albergue and we really liked it. Probably one if the nicer ones that we encountered. The town is nice to shop food for snacks and supper and wine. Maya

30. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Thanks, Maya. I've sent an email to the Indianapolis International airport to find out if this can be done locally and how to ensure it complies with any regulations.