1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts On My Disastrous First

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ginamarie, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

I fall on my very first day, hard. For ‘reasons’ I decided to start in Roncesvalles, fell in Burguete. Knew immediately at least one finger broke. The pain was such that fellow pilgrims helped me get taxi to closest medical facility for x-rays, Pamplona. A few days later I continue my Camino with the help of fellow pilgrims (I could not cinch my boots properly one-handed, roll-up my sleeping bag, carry my back-pack while wearing a ‘sling’ to keep swelling down, etc.)

What am I to make of this? I was expecting solemn meditation, peace and happiness Not throbbing pain, one-handed showers, and someone tying my shoes for me like a child. I had to persist onward, it was my dream. I continued to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where I decided to take a bus to Burgos to spend a couple days and make my way to Madrid and home to get my aching hand looked at.

I enjoyed the rural landscapes, villages, commune with fellow pilgrims enough that I know I will come back with, albeit limited, experience and get to Santiago. There is tough, tricky terrain-it is not easy. In my opinion, traveling alone is the only way to go. See what you want, stop when you want/need. I will stay in FAR less dorm-style rooms next time. I need my sleep, etc.! I will come with far less in my backpack (because there are so many places to buy things along the way,) medical insurance, travelers insurance, and phone. Because you never know.

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey GinaMarie - I am so very sorry to hear about your fall and injury. How your Camino changed on the very first day! You're absolutely correct that "you never know" what might happen. To walk on as far as Santo Domingo with your broken finger is amazing. Many others would have given up well before then. Just from this posting, I can tell that you learned so very much from your time on the Camino. I'm pleased to hear, but not surprised, that you had so many fellow pilgrims assisting you in your journey and in a time of need. Your advice here is well taken and clearly walking the Camino is not without its perils. I, too, hope that you will be able to return to continue your walk to Santiago. Take care! Buen Camino!

James Orrock, Roberta, Patt! and 5 others like this.
  3. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Oh Ginamarie, my heart goes out to you! I know that after all of the preceded excitement and planning that you did for this journey, this surely must have been difficult to endure. We never know what tomorrow holds, do we? I am so sorry! I hope that your hand heals quickly, and that you will find another way soon to experience some solemn meditation
    that you were anticipating. Best wishes to you my friend, the Camino will probably call you back!

4. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Thank you hindsfeet. Life can seem quite unfair sometimes. It was very depressing coming home so soon after having grand plans of getting to Santiago and beyond. And reading all the FB posts of my camino friends still there...ugh.

5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

And I thought that I was having problems! At least I didn't break anything, but I did go back after my first failure. And, depending on many things, I might still make another try.

6. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

I'm so glad you didn't break anything either! Yes, I can go back where I left off and continue.;)

7. UnkleHammy

On my first try, instead of breaking something, I got very dehydrated and was falling down on the trail and called 112 to get extracted. I was then dizzy for the next 3 mornings and decided to go home.

James Orrock and Ginamarie like this.
  8. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

That was bad luck. Really pleased you'll be able to pick up where you had to leave off.

Ginamarie likes this.
  9. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall Member

This year on my first night I had diahorea and vomiting. The diahorea stayed for 5 days. Lost 2 days of walking so having to stop at Redondela. Also lost my towel first night, hat along the way and socks stolen from a washing line. My Vodafone sim bought in portugal stopped working at the Spanish border and my home BT sim not working on roaming either.
    Sometimes all the planning is a waste on time.
    Hope you get better soon.
    Toad.

10. Patt!

Patt! Member

Ginamarie! I am so sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet. I would have loved to have gotten to know you. I understand the feeling of disappointment you must have felt...because if my toothache doesn't get better I will have to figure out a new plan too! In my mind I have gone through all of the emotions that ending my trip could bring. I am resting in Logroño and taking my vitamin I regularly...(ibuprofen). I'm crossing my fingers that the toothache will just be a fluke. Meanwhile, I have been laying in a bunk awake when it hurts, trying to stay super quiet. I know you know what I mean there! Dorm life!
    If you decide to walk again another time, let me know in case we both need to return! Meantime, I hope you heal quickly and feel better soon! Patti

11. Wily

Hey Patt! - I'm sorry to hear about your tooth. A tooth ache can be most painful. I know that ibuprofen was my go-to vitamin as well. Have you visited a pharmacy yet? Don't know what they can do about a tooth, but the Spanish pharmacies seem so much better equipped to deal with medical issues than those back here in the States. As Logroño is one of the larger cities on the Camino, you might see if you can get a dentist recommendation there. If it's an easy fix, I'd hate to see to continue to struggle with it day after day. I'd chat with either a pharmacist or see if the hospitalero can recommend a dental service. It wouldn't hurt to spend an extra day in Logroño to take care of the tooth since medical-type services are not as plentiful in the smaller towns. Keep us posted and good luck. Buen Camino.

12. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Thank you Patt!, I would like to have met a fellow Vegan on the Camino too. Fracture is healing. Dr. said I could have surgery to straighten finger if I want, I opt not. Plan to return to Spain next year.

I met a fellow Pilgrim in Logroño with dental pain, saw him again in Burgos where he went to a Dental Clinic and paid $145 for a root canal. He was back on Camino next day feeling great. Maybe you could explore that option? Take good care, been Camino!

13. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Patt, since you're in the large town of Logrono, I wonder if visiting a clinic might help? Sometimes tooth pain is from pressure/inflammation from an infection, and an antibiotic might help you continue on your way. I've not had to use medical services on Camino, but am told they are very good and not expensive for clinic visits. I hope you can get some relief. Not fun to be far from home and in pain.

14. Wily

Let me agree with C4S 100%! If you have an infection, 1) it probably won't go away on its own, and 2) a simple antibiotic might very well clear it up pretty quickly. I'd hate to see it ruin your Camino when the fix might be pretty simple and inexpensive (at least as a bandaid until you get home and can see your dentist). As Burgos is still five days away, I'd try to get it taken care if in Logroño. I know how miserable tooth pain can be! Feel better and Buen Camino.

15. Patt!

Patt! Member

Thanks! I am currently trying a gel the pharmisist helped me pick out. It reminds me of the teething gel we would use on children. I am counting on the ibuprofen and gel to get me through to Burgos. If it doesn't lessen, I will have to find dental services. Fingers crossed!

16. Patt!

Patt! Member

Good to know! I was just mentioning that I would tough it out to Burgos!

Ginamarie likes this.
  17. Patt!

Patt! Member

I am going to see what happens between here and Burgos. If I haven't found relief, I will definitely seek dental help! Thank you for helping me! ☮️

18. UnkleHammy

Please post what happens. It is nice to find out what options there for medical problems when on the Camino.

19. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Ginamarie

I am coming in late on this thread as I have been away on a little trip.

One thing that comes to mind reading about your experience is that you probably did the most sensible thing by realising that you weren’t enjoying your Camino after your fall because of all the pain and took exactly the right decision in heading back home

With hindsight, I should have probably done the same thing on my Big Camino when I started getting really bad knee pain, but as I had already walked over 600 miles when the pain started (With only 400 miles to go) I talked a young Spanish doctor into giving me a massive dose of Cortisone – This kept me going for another 250 miles and then I ran into a wonderful German Guy who taped me up and, although I was in a lot of pain during the last 150 miles, I managed to hobble into Santiago and complete my Camino

But the cost – When I returned to England, my knee didn’t recover and I ended up having major surgery and although the knee problem was eventually more or less sorted out, the pain has since transferred to the opposite ankle and, in reality, alas, my long distance walking days are now behind me.

Regrets – Well I have to say that, although I do miss my Camino’s, but at least I had a very good run at them and in addition to them did plenty of major treks all around the world including 2 times to Everest Base Camp – So I had a good run at things :)

And I now get to pass on some of my experiences on here – So it’s not all bad !!

But – I am sure you will recover and, if you get the urge, you can have another crack at it.

Good Luck and Best Regards

Rob

PS – Patt – I hope you get your tooth sorted out and also start to enjoy your own Camino again :)