1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips (mostly for girls)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by violet, Jun 26, 2010.

1. violet

violet Guest

These are just a few things I figured out as I went along, and wished somebody had told me....

1. I took a small travel hairdryer and found it great for getting dampness out of clothes and sleeping bag, we had some foul weather, don't forget an adapter..

2. Safety pins are very handy, I used them for many things, including pinning my towel to the sheet of the bunk above me, it gave it a chance to dry and also acted as a curtain to stop passing people staring at me while I was in bed. (some people really do stare!)

3. Take out the insoles of your boots and get some sort of silicon gel ones instead, there is a fair bit of walking on hard pavement and rocks which are very hard on the feet. (I didn't do this and regretted it after 4 days).

4. Don't take any make-up with you, you will never wear it.

5. Don't bother bringing a roll of loo paper with you, I didn't come across any place with no supply. A small pack of tissues was plenty.

6. If you get small bits of grit in your boots stop immediately and take them out, even if you think they aren't a huge problem. Take out your insole and shake out your boot and make sure that the grit hasn't become embedded in your sock or insole. Those tiny pieces of grit could cause blisters on the soles of your feet, really painful and also quite likely to become infected as it is really hard to keep pressure off them.

7. Leave the high fashion flip-flops and sandals at home, get a pair of crocs or foam base flip-flops for the evenings, I ended up buying a pair half way through and my feet are still thanking me!

8. I picked up a pair of telescopic trekking poles in St Jean Pied de Port for E28, I was worried about an old knee injury, but didn't have one second of trouble, perhaps thanks to the poles.

9. Put loads of sunscreen on the backs of your knees to the left hand side as that is where the sun is coming from....saw loads of girls who had strips of burn behind their knees, very sore. Put it on your arms, legs and back of neck every morning when you are getting dressed, that way you won't be caught out later if a dull day suddenly brightens up.

10. Even on dull days wear a bandanna or something on your hair, you don't want to get burnt on your scalp, your hair will be in dreadful condition from the sun & wind, take separate shampoo and conditioner if your pack will allow.

11. Even if you are a very 'cold' person, you will be fine with a very light sleeping bag. We were given blankets in every place we stayed, and the dorms do get warm at night with all those sleepers!

12. Bring about 3 packs of compeed, it is very expensive in Spain! They also do a silicon stick thing which you should rub around and between your toes every morning before you put on your socks to prevent blisters between your toes.

Finally if you are using John Brierleys book, the maps are not quite to scale, neither are the elevation diagrams. For distances, trust the signs on the posts as you go.

Hope this will be useful to somebody. Buen Camino!!

2. revrenjen

revrenjen New Member

Violet--
    Thanks for your "girly" advice! While it is just us girls, I have wondered if any of you ladies have tried the She-Wee that Brierley mentions. I loathe going along the trail (the only time I have ever been guilty of penis envy!) but have wondered if this will make the only experience a little less trying.

3. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    "She-Wee"??? Not sure what this is, but if it equalizes for women the utility of the male appendage I'm all for it. I always felt sorry for the ladies who couldn't do their business from a standing position.

One man's mild quibble with Violet's excellent advice: I took a roll of toilet paper (loo paper) and was thankful many times. While I agree with Violet that every civilized place has a supply, the value of having your own roll is for the uncivilized places that don't.

4. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    (Oops . . . accidentally posted my reply before finishing)

Imagine that nature calls when you're 5 kms away from the nearest "servicio" (loo). That means you'll need to step off the trail and find a discrete place to do your business. Perhaps women only need a small packet of tissues over the course of 35 days, but guys. . . . take a whole roll!

5. Covey

Covey Active Member

HN........It is best not to ask about the ladies tube business and just thank our lucky stars that the Good Lord saw fit to equip us males in a far more satisfactory manner!

I think Violet must be French really cos the French and French Canadian ladies are the only ones I have ever seen carrying hair driers.

For me, there are two inescapable facts on the Camino. Firstly, the queues for the ladies loo are always much longer than the mens, and secondly, ALWAYS CARRY A LOO ROLL!!! For modern day pilgrims, there is no satisfactory alternative to a loo roll. None of the toilets ever have a bidet and neither do the toilets in bars have a ready to hand supply of grass or leaves.

Violets advice about stopping to get grit out of your boots is most important. With some of the thicker socks the grit works in to the weave, so you look carefully. Also, many ladies find carrying a sarong is very useful as it can act as a bunk sheet, shower screen, bunk curtain and general all round fashion thinggy!

6. Covey

Covey Active Member

7. Nanonano

Nanonano New Member

Bit late to reply, but I used the She-Wee. It gives great relief! And it's very easy to use. God bless the inventor!

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  8. Sophie Garcia

Sophie Garcia New Member

whats a she-Wee ??????????????

9. Nanonano

Nanonano New Member

Google and it will come up. It's a device for women to stand and pee. Comes in glamorous pink....

10. Sophie Garcia

Sophie Garcia New Member

Thats excellent...........now that I've finished the walk, and all the pees i did crouching lolololol ;))))))))))

11. Nanonano

Nanonano New Member

Without going in too much detail. It's liberating and that for 6 pounds.

Sallyann50 likes this.
  12. revrenjen

revrenjen New Member

Thanks for the endorsement. Here's hoping they ship to the US.

13. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

Hi girls

I have got a question.

It's about the female cycle on the camino. I read somewhere that some girls have their period earlier due to the amount of exercise during the camino? Has anyone got any experience with this? (If you don't want to post this publicly you can always send me a message. I appreciate it's a very personal question:oops:)

Also what kind of "supplies" can you get in Spain. Again, I read somewhere that pads may be harder to get and tampons were more common? I know you can buy the "cup" but I don't think that's something for me. Just personal preference ...

14. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Snowwhite, Thankfully I have not had to deal with that issue for years (early hystercetomy) but I was in the Defence Force and would advise that if you use pads take them - they are not so common nowadays and another hint - when we got tendonitis on the back of our heels from the boots we had to wear we used to put the pad inside our sock to take the boot pressure away from your ankle and heel :) that advice was given to us by the medical staff. Hope you enjoy your Camino.

15. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

Hi Tina

Thanks, I have actually done my Camino now. I did take pads rather than tampons.

Both were available in stores around the Camino apart from the tiny village stores in the Meseta which only have a very small selection but there is always be something. Most towns with a supermarket had all types of hygiene products available.

For those who still have to think about periods, with a little calculation it should be possible to determine when to buy these items to save weight (eg where is the closest town based on the calculated start). You only need to take an emergency supply just in case - and obviously they can come in handy for anyone as Tina described.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  16. Tina-Marie Brownie

Home Page:
    Morning Snowwhite :)
    So how did you enjoy your Camino? Are you planning another one? Do tell us about it - love hearing peoples stories of their journey :)

17. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Good information for one and all, thanks.

18. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

Hi Tina-Marie

I absolutely loved it. The walking was so therapeutic. Life changes completely when you are on your way - I took the decision of using just a basic phone and take a camera so for me it was 5 1/2 weeks of next to no technology which was great. I have met so many people and experienced so many little Camino miracles - it's hard to explain but you'll experience it for yourself on your Camino.;)

The cultural highlight for me was seeing the brotherhood (the ones with the scary masks) on Easter Friday in Estella.

I don't have any funds/holiday to go on another Camino soon but I am thinking about doing the northern route in stages.

Sallyann50 likes this.
  19. Tina-Marie Brownie

Home Page:
    Snowwhite, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your camino and sounds like you had an amazing time. I am so looking forward to finding out for myself (as you say) about the tiny camino miracles :) I too am saving for my camino for next year and will do another one with my husband next time (as he will not be going with me on the 2017 trek which is going to be with some girls I went to school with a long time ago LOL). You never know what is around the corner I guess. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond (as so many wonderful people on this forum do) and share your experience with me :)

20. Dylan Price

Dylan Price Member

Ok well I am not a woman BUT when my wife and I walked I had the experience of the monthly issue via her. Now my wife can experience quite heavy periods so it may not impact the same way. When it was on we didn't walk as far and there were very frequent stops. Supplies were OK to come by but better to get from larger towns because of choice - pads and tampons were readily available from most places.

As for the timing issue there appeared to be no difference either longer or shorter with my wife.

I have no idea what a cup is and will not ask lol.

21. Marion

Marion Marion

Home Page:
    Just wandering around the forum and found this thread... lots of nice advise here, thanks everyone! :)

Although...
    I'd counter-advice this and say (with my fist up in the air ;) ): Drop the hair-drier and go natural!
    Hair appreciate not to be heated to much anyway, especially when they're too wet. Many may not like their natural hair, but hair like natural care! Plus, no hair-dryer means less weight to carry. It's also quite easy (and time-savy to use a "clothes-"dryer.

I also think it goes well with these 2 advice:

And given what happened next...
    ... Being French myself I must say I think quite sad we (French women) have such a reputation... :(
    Plus, not true! Women from all countries drag around their beloved hair-dryer/hair-straightener/vanity-case/make-up-tool-box/lotion-collection/perfumes-and-other-good-(?)-smelling-stuff. Just like men from all countries drag their must-have-razor. I swear, I've seen people (from everywhere) who must have had at least 2-4 lb of "look-good" gear in their bag...
    Now, I'm not saying to go wild and look like nothing (some do unfortunately go down that road...). I totally believe in health and neatness!

So, 1) Please, no nationality/sex-prejudice! 2) Keep care simple and essential!
    ... 3) I'm French and I don't (ever) use a hair-dryer/straightener. But I shave. 4) Ah? The French reference was a joke? ;)

Then,
    Well, too late :D Better not mention it next time! Be reassured, it's nothing to be afraid of. It's exactly what is say it it: a cup.
    [​IMG] And by the way, here's a example of a she-wee: [​IMG]
    (Notice it's not pink ;))

As for personal girly gears and tips...
    - I have a cup and will never go back to something else
    - My cycle are changed when I walk, they become regular. I walk like any other day.
    - I have a she-wee (but can still use some more practice) and loo paper
    - I have a bar of shampoo (looks like a soap, is real shampoo) + a soap
    - I mostly don't have make-up (sometimes 1 mascara + 1 eye-liner) when long travel (6 months+))
    - I have some coconut oil (good for skin/hair/teeth/cooking/health care/............... and many more)
    - I have disposable safety razors, a nail clipper and tweezers
    - I have no hair-dryer, but rubber bands, a clasp and eventually barrettes
    - I have up to 3 sarongs (so right, Covey, these uses and so many more!)
    ... I think that's pretty much it!

[​IMG]