1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toilet Trowel?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by MichaelJA, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MichaelJA

MichaelJA New Member

In one guide book they recommended bringing a toilet trowel for digging a hole while on the trail. Has anyone done this or wished they had?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Michael.

Getting caught short in the open can happen and when it does, it is much better for the environment if we leave things as tidy as possible behind us; this would include burying our mess as well as (Carefully) burning the toilet paper.

Personally, I don’t carry a specific tool for the purpose myself, but even though I no longer smoke, I still carry a cigarette lighter to burn the paper

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Chip Frazier likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Michael - If I were hiking the Appalachian Trail I might consider such an item, but I doubt that you’ll need a toilet trowel on the CF. Along the Camino, you’ll find services for food, drink, and restrooms almost every few kilometers.

As helpful as guidebooks are, keep in mind that you might not really need everything that they are recommending. In fact, you don’t need much on the Camino! I’d encourage you to explore some of the threads on this Forum under equipment and gear. You want to travel light! My mistake when I walked the CF was thst I took too much. My pack weighed approximately 9 kg. I discarded a number of items before I even reached Pamplona. Since then, without water included, my carrying weight is now under 6 kg and I’ve had everything that I needed. If you check out an early entry in my Portugués blog below, you’ll find my packing list. As the book title suggests, to walk far, carry less! Buen Camino!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Chip Frazier and hindsfeet like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Michael, fully agree with Rob and Wily. After two full Camino Frances (800 kms) nature "never called" my wife off path and called me unexpectedly only once. Bob

Chip Frazier and RJS like this.
  5. John Hussey

John Hussey Super Moderator

A trowel is a single use item, seldom needed, so don't take it. If required, just find a stick to dig the hole and cover up your deposit. Then leave the stick behind with your deposit. But either pack out or burn the paper. The Caminos are not wilderness hikes.

Chip Frazier likes this.