1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Big For Sleeping Bags!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Serenity, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:31 AM.

1. Serenity

Serenity New Member

I am a 62 year old woman, planning to walk the Camino Frances next April, with my 27 year old, autistic, intellectually disabled son. Our problem is that we are too big to comfortably fit into a lightweight sleeping bag. I found bigger ones, but they are almost as big as our backpacks and weigh heaps too much. I was wondering if anyone could advise me of what I could get instead, that would both cover us okay, yet be light and small enough to take on our Camino. Has anyone used a quilt of some kind and if so, what was it and can I purchase it in Australia? I am getting desperate, as nothing seems to be suitable.

2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hello Serenity - It's good that you're trying to arrange something comfortable for yourselves because crawling into a comfortable sleeping bag at the end of a day is a pleasure when on Camino. The albergue in Roncesvalles doesn't have blankets, but many any other lodging options/albergues along the rest of the way will have blankets. At places you find sheets (most places except some municipals, it seems), you can unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a blanket so that the zipped size won't matter that much. Many places are underheated that early in the year.

Yes, people use quilts, usually inside liners. Amazon.com has extra-large sized liners, and they say they ship to Australia. Also, it looks like Costco is in Australia and their lightweight down throws/blankets are popular. https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html People do all sorts of modifications for quilts/lightweight blankets, sometimes sewing or fitting them inside a liner. If you sew, you could buy an extra inexpensive regular liner and expand those for you and your son if no extra-large liner is possible. Another option is a fleece/felt-like "liner". They're lightweight, warmer than a thin, silk-like liner, and if you have to in the occasional place that doesn't have blankets, you can sleep in your warm hiking clothes/jacket for that night inside the fleece liner. You could probably sew an extra-large fleece bag also.

Hope that helps. The best to you and your son on your upcoming Camino Frances!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 5:58 AM
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I recommend that whatever you plan using to test it at home for several days IN A ROW. That way you will have a good idea if whatever you plan to use will work for you.

The most common choices seem to be:
    1. Using whatever the place you stay in provides.
    2. Carry a bag.
    3. Carry a silk, or other, liner and a down cover (Costco down throw are popular for this.)
    4. Almost any thing else that isn't too heavy.

Part of the trip is in the planning. Have fun.

Burn Camino.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    Crepes4Suzette and Serenity like this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity New Member

Thanks so much for the replies! After reading them, I have asked one of my sons who has a Costco membership, to check if they have the throws here. They sound like they would be the best bet. I am quite prepared to sleep in my clothes and make do, but my walking partner is a bit more fussy, being autistic. It seems to be a huge, expensive undertaking, getting together all the gear for the trip, but I have been slowly collecting things for two years to spread the load a bit. The next step is to book the plane flights. Then it will be really happening. Exciting, but scary!

5. alisa

alisa New Member

Hi, I used a silk liner and a lightweight down throw on top if I needed it (I walked late August through September). Except for the occasional slip of the comforter off the bed, it was perfect and very warm. I would do the same thing over again except I think I would safety pin the comforter to the top of the liner. Wish I thought of it then!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I tried seversl ways of keeping the down throw kn yop of my loner znd gave ip and weng with a bag. Testing before I went was critical here.